Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass question: Can primary booking use anyone's points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I did some searches on this and was unable to come up with anything.

I am going to have my companion pass in the next 2 weeks or so.

I have some previously booked travel for me that is booked using points through another account that isn't in my name. The booking does have my rapid rewards number attached to it though.

Would this reservation still qualify for me to add a companion once I obtain my pass or does the reservation have to be made under my RR account using my points to qualify for adding a companion?

Also, once the final required points are deposited into my RR account, how long will it take for my CP to become active?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by highgear; Jun 14, 2012 at 7:05 pm
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
it will generally take 24-48 hours after you see the points hit before the companion pass shows active. then you will need to designate a companion which you can do online. you may be able to speed this up by calling the long distance Dallas 214-number for SWA Rapid Rewards listed in the wiki

CP bookings online require the travel itinerary to show up in your 'upcoming travel' under southwest. there you will see an 'add a companion' link under each flight. It does not matter if you are flying for $, flying using your or someone elses reward, or flying under your or someone elses points.

You can also book the CP ticket over the phone provided you give the agent your flight information (confirmation #).
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by highgear
Would this reservation still qualify for me to add a companion once I obtain my pass or does the reservation have to be made under my RR account using my points to qualify for adding a companion?
Yes, and no. You are good to go as soon as the CP becomes active.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:55 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by expert7700
CP bookings online require the travel itinerary to show up in your 'upcoming travel' under southwest.
Not true.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
If I have 2 CP holders in my family can I do something like this? #1 CP holder nominates #2 CP holder as his companion. Then #2 CP holder nominates #3 flyer as his companion. Then I book a reservation for #1 CP holder, #2 CP holder I book as Companion of #1 holder. Then I book #3 flyer as a Companion of #2 CPM holder. So, after buying 1 ticket I get 2 tickets free. Will it work?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:18 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by al613
If I have 2 CP holders in my family can I do something like this? #1 CP holder nominates #2 CP holder as his companion. Then #2 CP holder nominates #3 flyer as his companion. Then I book a reservation for #1 CP holder, #2 CP holder I book as Companion of #1 holder. Then I book #3 flyer as a Companion of #2 CPM holder. So, after buying 1 ticket I get 2 tickets free. Will it work?
No. I'm pretty sure this is stated in the Wiki FAQ, since it has been thought of so very many times over the years.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
No. I'm pretty sure this is stated in the Wiki FAQ, since it has been thought of so very many times over the years.
Seems not to be covered in WIKI.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info everyone, I really appreciate it.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by al613
No. From here.

The Member's designated Companion must be an individual. An individual may not travel as both a Member and a Companion on the same flight, except in Customer of Size instances. Corporations and other entities cannot be designated as Companions. A Member who is a Customer of Size and earns a Companion Pass can use his/her Companion declaration for an extra seat. To declare the extra seat as the Companion, the Member must contact Customer Relations.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:08 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by highgear
Thanks for all the info everyone, I really appreciate it.
Thanks so much for checking. I added this to the Wiki.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: Plenty of Them
I was perusing my local Craigslist and noticed someone was selling a Southwest Airlines Green Pass (aka "Must Ride") Pass. Does anyone know if this works in conjunction with my companion pass that I have?

For example, let's say he sells this to me for $200. But I want to take a $500 flight from somewhere on the west coast to New York City. I buy the pass from him, book the flight over the phone and then add my companion over the web.

Is there any flaw in my logic here? It seems like a really good opportunity to save some cash money.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
No. From here.The Member's designated Companion must be an individual. An individual may not travel as both a Member and a Companion on the same flight, except in Customer of Size instances. Corporations and other entities cannot be designated as Companions. A Member who is a Customer of Size and earns a Companion Pass can use his/her Companion declaration for an extra seat. To declare the extra seat as the Companion, the Member must contact Customer Relations.
Can we interprete it as "both a Member and a Companion" on the same pass?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:33 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jluu111
Does anyone know if this works in conjunction with my companion pass that I have?
Yes, except that selling Green Passes is not allowed. There is some risk that Southwest will deny you (and thus also your companion) boarding if Southwest knows that this particular Green Pass was sold. For example, it might have been stolen and blacklisted.

You could always call Southwest and ask them "I'm about to buy a Green Pass with ticket number 123456789. Can you tell me if it has been blacklisted?" They will say "Yes, because you just reported that it has been offered for sale!"

Just kidding with that last paragraph. The bottom line is the same as for any buyer of awards or passes or even concert tickets: Do you feel lucky?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: Plenty of Them
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes, except that selling Green Passes is not allowed.
Thanks for the information nsx. I had no idea they were not allowed to be sold. The ad mentioned it was good only until 8/1, which would have been too short of notice for me as it were. But an interesting proposition nonetheless.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:55 pm

I'm not sure if the original question was ever answered. The way I read it was this (and I have wondered the same question too):

If I have a companion pass, but I have a friend that books me a flight using his reward points. Does my companion still fly for free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.