Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest / AirTran credits are now exchangeable! (was:reward points merging?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest / AirTran credits are now exchangeable! (was:reward points merging?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Now I am really upset that I didn't apply for the AirTran credit card before it was quietly discontinued. Here's why:

All you have to do is earn 0.25 AirTran credit, transfer it to RR, then add 19k RR2points to top off a Standard Award. You can do this as often as you like. It would be like the old redemption program never left!! @:-)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Now I am really upset that I didn't apply for the AirTran credit card before it was quietly discontinued. Here's why:

All you have to do is earn 0.25 AirTran credit, transfer it to RR, then add 19k RR2points to top off a Standard Award. You can do this as often as you like. It would be like the old redemption program never left!! @:-)
Perhaps I've missed something in the rules, but I haven't seen a limitation the prohibits the following:

Transfer 19,200 points from your RR balance to your A+ account which should generate 16 A+ credits. Then transfer those 16 A+ credits back to your RR account to automagically generate a WN SA.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, if they are going to maintain/resurrect the old WN 1.0 credit system alongside the 2.0 point system, there is going to be scope for some serious gaming. I can't believe they went with this as the reciprocity agreement, but maybe I am misreading somehow.

Remember, you can also earn .5 of an Airtran credit with a 1-day Hertz rental it appears.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by texashoser
Perhaps I've missed something in the rules, but I haven't seen a limitation the prohibits the following:

Transfer 19,200 points from your RR balance to your A+ account which should generate 16 A+ credits. Then transfer those 16 A+ credits back to your RR account to automagically generate a WN SA.
The Dallas folks confirmed you can do exactly this. The only catch is that the expiration date of the WN SA you create is one year from the date you convert RR points to A+ credits *not* the date you convert A+ credits to generate a WN SA.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:53 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

My immediate thought was that credits created by a transfer would not be eligible for another transfer. I was surprised to not see that stated in the rules. Thanks for checking on it, texashoser.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Dallas folks confirmed you can do exactly this. The only catch is that the expiration date of the WN SA you create is one year from the date you convert RR points to A+ credits *not* the date you convert A+ credits to generate a WN SA.
Interesting. A bifurcated system, where we can redeem our 2.0 points for a 1.0 or a 2.0 Award, whichever suits us better. Yeah, this will last.

And I wonder if the newly transferred 2.0 points > A+ credits > WN credits > WN 1.0-style Awards run the risk of being date-tainted if you don't watch VERY carefully how many points/credits you are transferring on which dates, as the expiration dates tag along and stick to the A+ credits for the return trip.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob
My immediate thought was that credits created by a transfer would not be eligible for another transfer. I was surprised to not see that stated in the rules. Thanks for checking on it, texashoser.
My thinking is that WN created a miles/credit transfer program in response to customer demand. I'm fairly confident this scenario was brought up as a consequence and either WN was OK with it or they couldn't cost-effectively-wise come up with a feasible technical solution to identify A+ credits that were bought with RR points vs. earned via a legitimate A+ method and then prevent those A+ credits purchased with RR points from being imported back into an RR account as RR credits.

Certainly some people will take advantage of it, but how many?

Perhaps they'll also further limit SA award seats on flights...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Remember, you can also earn .5 of an Airtran credit with a 1-day Hertz rental it appears.
Hertz/AirTran promo provides 1.5 credits (3x bonus), per the following:

https://offer.hertz.com/offers/index...editupto35.jsp

This promo is valid on minimum of one-day rental, thru the end of September 2012.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Will WN CP holders be able to take their "Cs" on Airtran flights?
I can't think of many ways that would work logistically, can you? You have to move the points/credits to use them on the other carrier. When you book a flight on FL it will show up in your FL account, not your RR account. Unless the WN "Add a Companion" link was added to the AirTran web site (which would require AirTran being able to see info in your RR Account), you can't add the Companion online. You can't call SWA for them to add it, as they likely can't see FL reservations. FL agents likely can't see your CP, so they can't help either.

If they get to the point of code sharing you could probably use your CP, but I'm not sure WN and FL will ever code share.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:16 pm

Interesting. A bifurcated system, where we can redeem our 2.0 points for a 1.0 or a 2.0 Award, whichever suits us better. Yeah, this will last.

And I wonder if the newly transferred 2.0 points > A+ credits > WN credits > WN 1.0-style Awards run the risk of being date-tainted if you don't watch VERY carefully how many points/credits you are transferring on which dates, as the expiration dates tag along and stick to the A+ credits for the return trip.
Important clarification. I posted incorrect details regarding expiration dates. Once you transfer points to A+ credits, those credits carry an expiration date of one year from the conversion.

At that point, any time before they expire, they can then be converted to back to RR credits. At the point you have 16 RR credits, a SA is automatically generated carrying a one-year expiration date from the date of generation.

Sorry about the mixup.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Anyone have any general experience with seat availability on FL?

Interesting blackout dates... Every Sunday in July and the first Sunday in August is blacked out.
Yes, I have a tough time finding availability on airtran for coach awards. But when I had my last standard award with WN I could not find much to use it on either other than cheap flights that were not really worth using them on.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Does this mean that you can effectively purchase companion pass on AT as well as tickets to Hawaii and tickets to non WN/AT North American Destinations? Per the A+ program it takes X number of credits to do so.

Ex. A+ companion pass is 100 credits equal to 120,000 RR 2.0 pts. equal to $2000 of WGA airfare.

Ex. A+ ticket to Hawaii is 50 credits equal to 60,000 RR 2.0 pts. equal to $1,000 WGA airfare.

If so then then this is pretty cool considering you need the WN CC to get the chance of using pts. to Hawaii and then having to find a reasonable exchange rate.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117
Does this mean that you can effectively purchase companion pass on AT as well as tickets to Hawaii and tickets to non WN/AT North American Destinations? Per the A+ program it takes X number of credits to do so.

Ex. A+ companion pass is 100 credits equal to 120,000 RR 2.0 pts. equal to $2000 of WGA airfare.

Ex. A+ ticket to Hawaii is 50 credits equal to 60,000 RR 2.0 pts. equal to $1,000 WGA airfare.

If so then then this is pretty cool considering you need the WN CC to get the chance of using pts. to Hawaii and then having to find a reasonable exchange rate.
I would assume you could use the A+ credits under FL A+ rules to purchase travel on other airlines for destinations such as Hawaii, etc. I haven't confirmed that, though. Give them a call (214)932-0333.

As for Companion Pass possibilities, I would seriously doubt it. You're in effect purchasing points. But, you never know...

EDIT: On the other hand, maybe you could use 100 credits 'purchased' with RR points to get an FL companion pass. Unlike WN, you have to redeem your A+ credits for a companion pass, you don't get to keep those 100 A+ credits for other free flights.

Last edited by texashoser; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Although the new options are wonderful, some of them look difficult for Southwest to sustain. It sounds as if Southwest should have consulted FT before deciding how to merge the programs!

If you want to use the transfer to create standard awards, I suggest you act sooner rather than later.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mke9499
Hertz/AirTran promo provides 1.5 credits (3x bonus), per the following:

https://offer.hertz.com/offers/index...editupto35.jsp

This promo is valid on minimum of one-day rental, thru the end of September 2012.
Thanks for the heads-up. 10 of those rentals almost gives you a WN 1.0 Award!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.