Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL ad: Moo! Tired of the cattle call..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
No assigned seating?
No, I took that to mean assigned seating was in place but that they were somehow trying to corral people into their appropriate boarding zones.

I feel more secure when the foreign authorities know where a "person of interest" is sitting. I tend to believe variables in itinerary alerts, baggage screening and walk-up tickets on U.S.-bound flights actually exist.
*shrug* My perception of overall travel safety isn't changed based on whether an airline has open seating or not. I'm not even sure whether the statisticians who try to model these things would even take it into account in a long, long list of variables.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
InkUnderNails:

thanks!

Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
*shrug* My perception of overall travel safety isn't changed based on whether an airline has open seating or not. I'm not even sure whether the statisticians who try to model these things would even take it into account in a long, long list of variables.
I was on a GDL-ATL flight a few weeks ago. The Mexican authorities pulled the plane back to the gate because someone who wasn't supposed to be on board made it past the usual filters. May or may not have been a watch list issue.

With leased equipment and freelancing agents at many of these outposts, controls have the potential to be an unknown variable.

How do you know where a "person of interest" is sitting?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
You're assuming the person is in their assigned seat. @:-) Besides, one would think the authorities would know roughly what the person looked like.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
You're assuming the person is in their assigned seat. @:-) Besides, one would think the authorities would know roughly what the person looked like.
"Dark-haired, 30-35, medium build and blue jeans" in Guadalajara?

A seat assignment is more efficient in a security extraction than demanding ID from all who look like him.

Asking the 'person of interest' to ring his flight attendant call button w/no response in such a circumstance would not allow a flight to dispatch.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by suranyi
On UA, I've seen people break out into fistfights over who cut in line for boarding. That doesn't happen in WN, where with the current system there is a clear boarding order number printed on every boarding pass. The idea that UA's boarding process is the more civilized one is silly, in my opinion.
I have seen fisticuffs over line cutters on WN at least twice in the last 5 years, let alone throngs of once-a-decade fliers who don't get the "clear" boarding order straight. WN has only compounded the problem with the two sided, in order between the polls A, B, and C as opposed to simple F, C, Coach zones, no line required.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:09 am

For what it's worth, I just booked a ticket on DL. Not because of any intrinsic superiority of the airline, but simply because in this case they have a nonstop flight to my destination (at a reasonable price) and WN doesn't (at any price). When I'm travelling with my family, convenience and price trump all other factors.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by suranyi
For what it's worth, I just booked a ticket on DL. Not because of any intrinsic superiority of the airline, but simply because in this case they have a nonstop flight to my destination (at a reasonable price) and WN doesn't (at any price). When I'm travelling with my family, convenience and price trump all other factors.
We did it earlier this year too. If you haven't done so already, acquire the DL Amex - it allows you to check bags, which can be useful on a family trip. (Don't click the link on this page...go find an offer with more bonus miles. )

The silver lining with DL for a non-elite: it's almost all RJ's anymore. While barbie jets are awful for elites, they are a great equalizer for non-elites! @:-)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:06 am

We did it earlier this year too. If you haven't done so already, acquire the DL Amex - it allows you to check bags, which can be useful on a family trip. (Don't click the link on this page...go find an offer with more bonus miles. )

The silver lining with DL for a non-elite: it's almost all RJ's anymore. While barbie jets are awful for elites, they are a great equalizer for non-elites! @:-)

And I just noticed this, but the banner at the top of this forum also says the card gives you priority boarding - a recent change? And the cow heads now 'stampede' across the screen
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Almost all RJ's? From where to where?

Delta has been dropping 50-seat RJs from the fleet (going back to mainline aircraft - see the December investor presentation). They've also added First class to the 65/70/76-seat RJs, and have started installing wifi in all the CR7s/CR9s/Embraer-170/175s that have first class seats.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:44 pm

I was on a GDL-ATL flight a few weeks ago. The Mexican authorities pulled the plane back to the gate because someone who wasn't supposed to be on board made it past the usual filters. May or may not have been a watch list issue.

With leased equipment and freelancing agents at many of these outposts, controls have the potential to be an unknown variable.

I know WN is new to Atlanta, but they have flown for over 30 years with open seating without these issues. They have been around for a long time and not an upstart. In fact they fly more passengers than any airline in the World. What makes Atlanta so special that the open seating won't work when it works for all of California, Texas, Midwest, Chicago, the Northeast. Are the citizens of Atlanta more scary, where there are planes full of Atlanta 'persons of interest". Is Atlanta that scary of a place? In addition you realize people switch seats all the time on assigned seat airlines
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Dividend Miles nothingness, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Eh, some people love WN, others love DL, AA, etc. I am definitely in the latter even though I live in a WN dominated city. I will still take a connection on a couple RJ's than nonstop on WN. No need to repeat the reasons for my preference that mirror others that have been re-hashed in dozens of other posts and forums. To each their own, live and let live!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Love the ad... love the placement... love it all.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Love the ad... love the placement... love it all.
For some reason, I don't see the ad on my primary MacBook, but I do on the back up.

I have to agree and recently, I have been clicking on the WN forum sometimes just to watch the funny little stampede.

I wish I could figure out how to "hijack" it from my screen; something like an animated screen shot.

It appears to me that getting on an airplane, regardless of airline, is a whole lot like a cattle call. All that is missing are the cattle prods, but I had better not give the OAs any ideas.

Mooo!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by MrMan
I know WN is new to Atlanta, but they have flown for over 30 years with open seating without these issues. They have been around for a long time and not an upstart. In fact they fly more passengers than any airline in the World. What makes Atlanta so special that the open seating won't work when it works for all of California, Texas, Midwest, Chicago, the Northeast. Are the citizens of Atlanta more scary, where there are planes full of Atlanta 'persons of interest". Is Atlanta that scary of a place? In addition you realize people switch seats all the time on assigned seat airlines
I think it comes out of the same thinking that states that "lucrative business markets" only exist in cities where WN doesn't have a big footprint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.