DL ad: Moo! Tired of the cattle call..

Old Aug 8, 11, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
Red face DL ad: Moo! Tired of the cattle call..

... anyone else love that the Gold Delta card picked the WN forum to attack with Moo! ad campaign. I am not planning to fly Delta and have no desire for their SkyPasos - but - talk about great placement.

Random post over - please carry on.
Old Aug 8, 11, 5:22 pm

I think the current incarnation of Southwest's boarding process is one of the most civilized around. Although the legacy carriers let you pre-pick a seat, the scarcity of overhead bin space due to checked bag fees causes everyone to mill around the gate waiting for their group to be called.
Old Aug 8, 11, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
When a i buy a ticket I buy it base on price not on boarding order, and sometimes WN is not the cheapest ticket.
Old Aug 8, 11, 6:23 pm

Those of us AirTran loyalists love the ad campaign.

It reinforces what we have been saying since the merger was announced.
Old Aug 8, 11, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
2003 called. It wants its stereotype back.
Old Aug 8, 11, 7:08 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Exactly - all that ad says to me is that whoever wrote it hasn't actually paid attention to Southwest's boarding procedure in several years.
Old Aug 8, 11, 8:10 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have actually worked with cattle, dairy cows to be specific.

They line up somewhat, but never in numerical order. There are certain ones that are always in the milk parlor first and others that tend to be near the end but the exact order changes.

When they get in the barn, they typically find a stall quickly, it is open boarding, but there are a few that insist on trying to get where another cow already is or they do not like the only open stall that may be available.

There are few morsels of food to keep them somewhat occupied while they are getting milked.

Except for the fact the they do not get anywhere while they are in the barn, it sounds like every airline to some extent.

Except for this: Every darn one of them waits until they are in the barn to do a huge number 2. They come in with a grimace on their face that says they have been holding back just for this moment. I hate cows. I love steak, though.
Old Aug 8, 11, 8:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
The things you can learn on FT...
Old Aug 8, 11, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards etc.
Originally Posted by RSVP View Post
Those of us AirTran loyalists love the ad campaign.

It reinforces what we have been saying since the merger was announced.
Was thinking the same thing. This ad is targeted squarely at FL refugees who connect through ATL, plus maybe a few connecting through MKE right now that Delta can instead funnel through MSP or DTW.

Good on Delta for including a free checked bag for card customers, partially allaying the bags-fly-free rabble-rabble from folks who will otherwise eventually be flying a canyon blue colored 737 or 717.

The real question though is whether they should even bother with the WN forum while Airtran still has operations in ATL and WN doesn't. Wouldn't it be a more cost-effective campaign to just run the banner in the A+ forum?
Old Aug 9, 11, 4:14 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by iansltx View Post
The real question though is whether they should even bother with the WN forum while Airtran still has operations in ATL and WN doesn't. Wouldn't it be a more cost-effective campaign to just run the banner in the A+ forum?
It's running over there in the A+ forum too...
Old Aug 9, 11, 8:31 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
One of the reasons that I choose WN is the boarding procedures. It is low on the list, but it is there. In addition to the ridiculous zone boarding fiasco announced once and only once (is there a rule that they can not repeat the current zone number for those that did not get it?) by OA's that mubble or stick the microphone up to their mouth so everything sounds like mpphh mpphh mpphh mpphh mpphh at 100 dB. For those of us that are hearing impaired it is torture.

I have no status on other airlines, so I do not get to board early. The overhead bin space is at a premium due to high baggage fees. These combine to create a situation where I may be forced to check my carry on.

It contains over $15K in sensitive and expensive electronics. It will not get checked. I have asked for a signed statement that the airline would be responsible and have gotten looks like a calf looking at a new gate. It is a foreign concept.

Even gate check is a nightmare. My bag has come back open twice. It has an odd closure that creates an airtight seal. It is fairly easy to open. So, two known attempts at pilfering where I had to open it up in the jetway and do an inventory. I now close it up with cable ties and locks.

Another time I was standing at the bottom of the stairs waiting for gate checked luggage and the nearest cart was full. The baggage handler took my bag, threw it over the full cart into the bottom of the empty cart behind it while laughing out loud about his feat. I immediately went into correction mode and that baggage handler will not forget that encounter. I reported him inside at customer service. I spent two hours at the hotel checking calibration and operation of the equipment. It is a good thing I spent the bucks for a Pelican case.

Not all of us have a change of clothes and tooth paste in our carry on.
Old Aug 9, 11, 1:17 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'm sure WN will return fire with BAGS FLY FREE!!!1!, a benefit that has lost quite a bit of weight now that bag fees are essentially baked into their frequently higher fares.
Old Aug 10, 11, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
"Tired of the seat squatters, the web site errors, and Rapid Rewards 2.0?" was probably too long to fit in the space.
Old Aug 10, 11, 9:41 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by alggag View Post
I'm sure WN will return fire with BAGS FLY FREE!!!1!, a benefit that has lost quite a bit of weight now that bag fees are essentially baked into their frequently higher fares.
I imagine most FTer's wouldn't give a crap about their Bags Flying Free!, as they likely already have that benefit on their carrier through elite status or credit card these days, along with lower average fares (and an F cabin that they have a chance at).

And from a mile value standpoint, even skypesos are worth more than the extremely devalued RR2.0 points.

Yall enjoy that cattle call LUVer's.
Old Aug 10, 11, 10:23 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by ATL787 View Post
And from a mile value standpoint, even skypesos are worth more than the extremely devalued RR2.0 points.
I would jump at the chance to redeem my DL miles at 1.67 cents with no hassle. I haven't been able to find a good way to use them in several years.

RR 2.0 has deficiencies, but value per point is not one of them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: