Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renovate BWI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:25 pm
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Actually, construction is about ready to begin at BWI. I don't have the details, but some of it deals with the ticket counter areas.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddutil
BWI was really dingy about 10 years ago. The thing you see now is the clean, upgraded version.
Wow, if that's the new and improved BWI I can't imagine what it was like before. What actually counts as a renovation anyway? Wasn't HOU renovated around the same time period? HOU looks infinitely nicer.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
MDW is nice - WN's best de facto hub terminal IMO
Really? The terminal is nice enough but it's a reflection of the airport as a whole in that there's no room (I always end up sitting on the floor with my back against the moving walks.)

Originally Posted by tusphotog
LAX is another bad one, but that airport in general is just a disgusting mess that is a disgrace to the City of Los Angeles.
You can say that again. Despite going to greater Los Angeles a couple of times in the last few months I've only had a single flight into LAX (no outbound). This past weekend I had the displeasure of driving somebody to LAX to catch their flight and that experience was enough to turn me off of LAX almost permanently. Except for that single flight into LAX all my travel to the area has been and will continue to be through ONT and SNA. (Haven't had to use BUR yet but I will use it should I be headed to that part of town).

Originally Posted by ssk1127
Wow, if that's the new and improved BWI I can't imagine what it was like before. What actually counts as a renovation anyway? Wasn't HOU renovated around the same time period? HOU looks infinitely nicer.
I think the first stage of HOU work started around 10 years ago with first phase being airside, second being landside ticketing, and the final (and just recently completed/final touches being baggage claim. Unfortunately, the renovations had some issues as I've noticed that buckets have a way of appearing on certain spots on the floor whenever it's raining. Even then, it's still such a huge improvement over the '70s bus terminal look that HOU used to have.

Last edited by alggag; Jun 27, 2011 at 4:35 pm
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:10 am

Is there any WIFI in Baltimore or am I being way way foolish.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:45 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

BWI WiFi is via Boingo hotspot (not free). Refer to the Wiki for info regarding how to find out which airports have free WiFi:
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by jb3t
BOS = Another big city airport with not great access.

I'm not sure what you mean by "access" here. Surely you don't mean it's hard to get to? Yeah, from the north you're not on a true highway, but in terms of the city it serves, you're looking at a major highway that ends at its door, a subway line, bus rapid transit line, water taxi/mbta ferry, etc. From terminal to downtown in 10 minutes. In my mind, it's by far one of the best airports I've been in, if only for the fact that it's located right downtown
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:26 pm

Maybe when the ticket counter area is renovated something can be done to encourage people to actually go up to the self service kiosks instead of standing in line while 3-4 are open, as is often the case.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: United Silver
When I saw the thread title, I was wondering if the original post was from 2002 or something. The terminal is practically brand new, and I think it's pretty nice overall, especially the whole area around gates A 1-5, which I always seem to fly out of for some reason.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by feysul
So true on the rental car fill ups. There are no ga stations around the airport. Sucks
There is an iPhone app gasbuddy.com - it's a great way to avoid the overpriced stations right by the rental car drop off.

I just checked and it shows 4 stations west of the airport on the 420/291.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I find BWI reasonable for WN, and atrocious for anybody else. C is as much of a disaster area as it was in 1986, D is a ghost town, and the arrivals area is generally bad. The rental car haul is bad, but in some ways improved from when it used to be in the back of the garage, and if I'm heading to DC I've learned to leave the rental car garage and head towards Arundel Mills.

The best thing about BWI is that there is a true late bank of flights most of the year, with a 9pm-ish BWI-MDW that lets me get a full day in either working, visiting friends, or both before flying back home. And at 8pm, going through the rental car center and security is a breeze.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I find BWI reasonable for WN, and atrocious for anybody else. C is as much of a disaster area as it was in 1986, D is a ghost town, and the arrivals area is generally bad. The rental car haul is bad, but in some ways improved from when it used to be in the back of the garage, and if I'm heading to DC I've learned to leave the rental car garage and head towards Arundel Mills.

The best thing about BWI is that there is a true late bank of flights most of the year, with a 9pm-ish BWI-MDW that lets me get a full day in either working, visiting friends, or both before flying back home. And at 8pm, going through the rental car center and security is a breeze.
I flew into BWI the first day of the new rental car center. Trust me, they have worked out a lot of problems since that first day. It took over an hour to get to the facility from the baggage claim. (Also hit MCI and SMF both on their first week but not the first day.)
Old Jul 3, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I find BWI reasonable for WN, and atrocious for anybody else. C is as much of a disaster area as it was in 1986, D is a ghost town, and the arrivals area is generally bad.
I haven't flown out of D in several years, but I've flown DL out of Terminal C several times in the past year, and I always find it to be great. Very short security lines, a few good restaurants, lots of seating. The terminal itself looks kind of tired and old, but functionally, I think it's pretty decent.

Oh, and no Nude-o-scopes (as of a few months ago, anyway), which isn't true at A/B or D.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
If it's going to raise costs, I say leave it a "dump".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.