Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renovate BWI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Renovate BWI

Any chance the WN terminal at BWI will get an upgrade? It looks kinda crowded and dingy, especially considering it's the de facto hub for WN on the East Coast.

The plane I was on needs a renovation badly as well...looks like it's taken a beating over the years. Was a little suprised to find that the overhead bins are actually smaller than 737s on other airlines.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:46 am

DAL, WN's home, has been been crowded and dingy for years. It's a hole. BWI will have to wait a while...
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
The old DTW was a dump and the worst, in my opinion. What a difference the new North terminal makes at DTW!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by chuckworth
The old DTW was a dump and the worst, in my opinion. What a difference the new North terminal makes at DTW!
PHL is/was a dump too. They have a new security area for WN and CO (and others). Haven't seen the baggage areas recently, though. But the old security and baggage areas were complete holes. Wires hanging out of ceilings, missing ceiling tiles, dark. A complete dump.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I don't think BWI is too bad. It's crowded, but certainly not that bad. I don't mind that airport to be honest, aside from the rental cars being located halfway to West Virginia.

If you want an absolutely awful WN airport, go to SAN when there are delays or when a cruise ship docks. It's about as bad as it gets with the hour long security line (thank god for the A list line being enforced now!), the one bathroom behind security, the lack of room with people sitting on the floor everywhere and so on. DAL is pretty bad as well (but they're "fixing" it).

LAX is another bad one, but that airport in general is just a disgusting mess that is a disgrace to the City of Los Angeles.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by texashoser
PHL is/was a dump too. They have a new security area for WN and CO (and others). Haven't seen the baggage areas recently, though. But the old security and baggage areas were complete holes. Wires hanging out of ceilings, missing ceiling tiles, dark. A complete dump.
The US section at PHL is nice. I don't know how much money/political effort WN puts into updating its terminals, the way other airlines do at their major hubs. Finding a gas station near PHL for rental care fill-ups...not such a nice experience.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by ssk1127
The US section at PHL is nice. I don't know how much money/political effort WN puts into updating its terminals, the way other airlines do at their major hubs. Finding a gas station near PHL for rental care fill-ups...not such a nice experience.
The international terminal at PHL is nice but much of the airport is a dump especially F gates.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
So true on the rental car fill ups. There are no ga stations around the airport. Sucks
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Any chance the WN terminal at BWI will get an upgrade? It looks kinda crowded and dingy, especially considering it's the de facto hub for WN on the East Coast.
I think the WN terminal at BWI is only 6 years old.

The overall BWI expansion began in 1999, but pretty sure WN's new terminal was fully open in mid-2005.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I like BWI a lot. The food is not too bad, it's easy to get around and there's plenty of space to sit. I find it clean and perfectly fine.

My Opinion:

PHL = a dump
Norfolk = Getting Old but good in-and-out.
Hartford = Getting Old
Providence = Is pretty good.
Tampa = Nice but there's few food and store selections when in the terminal.
PITT = Not too bad.
Manchester = Like it a lot. Smaller but easy to get to and clean.
BOS = Another big city airport with not great access.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
MDW is nice - WN's best de facto hub terminal IMO
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle

The plane I was on needs a renovation badly as well...looks like it's taken a beating over the years. Was a little suprised to find that the overhead bins are actually smaller than 737s on other airlines.
Wow! I don't find BWI bad at all.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by david2son08
Wow! I don't find BWI bad at all.
BWI was really dingy about 10 years ago. The thing you see now is the clean, upgraded version.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by ddutil
BWI was really dingy about 10 years ago. The thing you see now is the clean, upgraded version.
And, given that his post was from a couple of days ago, not 10 years ago, that is why I responded the way that I did.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ddutil
I was about to say the same thing. I flew out of BWI for the first time since 2004 last Friday and I thought the current terminal was a vast improvement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.