Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA Cancellation?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

SWA Cancellation?

I hope this is the correct sub forum to as this in.

So today, I booked 2 tickets from Seattle to Fort Myers on SWA's website and bought the Wanna Get Away tickets. Hours later, I was curious on what Virgin America was running for their tickets as I really have rather picked up tickets for Fort Lauderdale but they were more expensive than the Fort Myers with SWA. I saw that it wasn't very much more, and I love Virgin America, especially compared to SWA.

I know that the Wanna Get Away fares with SWA are non-refundable but I was wondering if they are if you cancel within 24 hours. I ran into this site: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index..._Rapid_Rewards and under 'What is the fee to change or cancel a reservation?' it mentions that within 24 hours if you booked online the Wanna Get Away tickets are refundable. Is this true? It's only been about 8 hours since I booked the flight.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:52 pm

No personal experience trying to cancel a non-refundable Southwest fare, but I'd suggest:

1. Go to their website, which has pretty good functionality, and try to cancel. See if it offers the option to get a full refund.

2. If that fails, call 1-800-435-9792 and hope you get a nice agent.

And no, this isn't the right place for your question, they'll move it to the Southwest forum (where you may get better answers).
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Sweet! I didn't realize cancelling online would give me an option for a refund. So I was able to cancel it for a refund. Been on hold waiting to talk to someone for like an hour. Thank you for the suggestion, I should have just tried it first.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:20 am
In memoriam

You should always inquire from the provider before asking on an unrelated message board. You can only be assured of receiving accurate information that way.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sheryl
You should always inquire from the provider before asking on an unrelated message board. You can only be assured of receiving accurate information that way.
Obviously...

And also, this is what the forums are for, for questions.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, USAir, Hawaiian, Southworst, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
All fares on Southwest are refundable within 24hrs.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:48 am

Moving this...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:09 am
B1

Doesn't apply to JetBlue

While this is true for Southwest, don't assume that it applies to any other LCC. JetBlue will not allow any change unless there is an immediate request based on an error.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by ethiopianbuffman
All fares on Southwest are refundable within 24hrs.
Warning not True! according to the rep I waited for an hour to talk to tonight.

I purchased two tickets for friends whe were thinking they may be able to go on a trip with us, but somewhat unlikely. They are finding out from boss in the morning.

I purchased the tickets with SW Gift cards and was told by the rep there is nothing they can do. Gift Cards can not be reimbursed or refunded within 24 hours. Only credit cards can be refunded. They won't send a replacement gift card etc. I argued for 20 minutes but she said there is absolutely nothing she can do.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by B1
While this is true for Southwest, don't assume that it applies to any other LCC. JetBlue will not allow any change unless there is an immediate request based on an error.
Jetblue are particularly .......ages about it. But that will change, in some form or another, once the latest DOT regulation are put into effect, which require all airlines to either allow a 24-hour hold on tickets or grant full refunds within 24-hours. http://financialedge.investopedia.co...#axzz1QAR7hHbN

Last edited by ursine1; Jun 23, 2011 at 11:13 pm Reason: Wait... you can't say ba star d here?! How retarded.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
Warning not True! according to the rep I waited for an hour to talk to tonight.

I purchased two tickets for friends whe were thinking they may be able to go on a trip with us, but somewhat unlikely. They are finding out from boss in the morning.

I purchased the tickets with SW Gift cards and was told by the rep there is nothing they can do. Gift Cards can not be reimbursed or refunded within 24 hours. Only credit cards can be refunded. They won't send a replacement gift card etc. I argued for 20 minutes but she said there is absolutely nothing she can do.
Unfortunately, you're absolutely correct. Purchases using a Southwest gift card are subject to the terms and conditions of the gift card, which state:

A southwestgiftcard redeemed for travel is not refundable. If travel is not taken, the funds will be held as travel funds with an expiration date. If applied with any other accepted form(s) of payment, the earliest expiration date of all forms of payment applies.
This doesn't mention whether the funds are limited to use only by the originally ticketed passengers. Were you told that was also the case?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:31 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Once applied to a purchase, gift card (and LUV voucher) funds can only become TTF, and all TTF rules would apply. Therefore the funds would indeed have to be used by the named passenger.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:52 pm

What really stinks is I must have called in 40 times trying to get through to someone to find the answer before purchasing, but phone wouldn't even pick up on the other end to put me in a que. I got through to someone later, by calling a different number to try to change my name on my profile.

Its hard to know everything that is going on with every airline. You see the commercials. My daughter just flew with them this spring and the rules changed since then! Too bad they don't put these nitty gritty details in their commercials.

Somethings are just illogical. Why would it matter to them whether something was purchased with a gift card vs credit card to be able to cancel in 24 hours and why would anyone have a reason to assume this would be the case?

Maybe they could put some other ridiculous rules in place such as if you purchase your ticket on an odd versus even number hour it is not refundable. Or they could use phases of the moon to really try to throw us off.

Also, since they have this rule that gift cards are not refundable, then even if I had purchased a refundable ticket, it wouldn't have been refundable?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
Also, since they have this rule that gift cards are not refundable, then even if I had purchased a refundable ticket, it wouldn't have been refundable?
That is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.