Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Aurelian
"The real problem"? I would think the real problem is the disregard you show to handicapped people as opposed to your trivial first world problem!
I think you will find there are circumstances where people DO have a right to privacy. My issue is the inference, via the images, that these people are scammers. They may be, or not. It is not up to you though to either know or decide the truth of that. What is reprehensible is to assume they are guilty of the "charge" and publish that as truth with images as supporting the statement. Again, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Deflection cuts both ways!
You've made quiet an auspicious entrance to FT…and not in a good way IMO.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Straw men...straw men everywhere...
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:12 pm

I think you mean quite. Oh well, I'm not concerned what bigots think. You go ahead and pick on the disabled. Knock yourself out!
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Southwest doesn't have 35D and 35F.
If you mean airlines that assign seats-usually sections in front exit first, and they also cost more and are considered premium.
It's actually quite simple implementing that process. You don't do it on the plane. You do it going out from the jetbridge to the terminal.
So you're asking me to believe that you couldn't tell that 35D and 35F is just a random example? And you're asking me to believe that you couldn't figure out how to substitute, say, 25D and 25F, or 19D and 19F, or 16D and 16F, etc, for 35D and 35F? And are you also asking me to believe that there are airlines that exit rear sections first? If so, then I apologize for confusing you.

That said, WN is an airline. Singular. You said
So on some airlines they block the economy passengers from deplaning until the premium classes have done that. I don't see there being any reason airlines cannot charge people for deplaning first ... just like how they charge people for boarding earlier.
You used "airlines". Plural. So my response was a generic response to your generic statement about multiple airlines.

Now, can we stop being deliberately obtuse and talk about the idea itself? Am I understanding you correctly that as people exit into the jetway, there would essentially be 2 lines. One would get stopped short of the terminal and wait in the jetway while the other would be people who show "an exit pass" that they paid extra for so they could enter the terminal sooner than those that didn't pay? If I've understood correctly, what would happen if the line of people who didn't pay extended back into the plane and blocked people who are seated towards the rear of the plane and now can't get to the jetway?

Also, I'm not sure the airline would have the authority to stop passengers entering the terminal from the jetway. They can determine boarding order as long as they stay within the law but otherwise are free to let their best customers on first. Or whatever boarding order they think is best. It's their airplane. But the terminal isn't theirs to police so I'm genuinely curious if they could even do that. Assuming I've understood your idea correctly.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Straw men...straw men everywhere...
Cry babies everywhere. Those mean wheelchair people!
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:53 am

Dear smmrfld
I was not aware there was an audition process!
This would be the second snide remark you have made about me. A quick search of your own posts reveals quite a few snide, superior, dismissive, fake haughty and downright rude attitudes in replies to posts. It seems in your world contrary opinions are dismissed with an imperial wave in the form of a cheap and lazy emoji, (you do love your emojis) or the ":eyeroll:", a trademark sign off of yours. How audaciously theatrical of you.
I think what has irritated you is that I Don 't Know Who You Are.
Correct?
Old Jul 15, 2023, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Thanks for your concern, but I'll comment any way I like.
Likewise!
You missed the point though. I don't say no-one should take your photo. I do say no-one should use that photo to accuse you of being a scammer. Clear enough?
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
So you're asking me to believe that you couldn't tell that 35D and 35F is just a random example? And you're asking me to believe that you couldn't figure out how to substitute, say, 25D and 25F, or 19D and 19F, or 16D and 16F, etc, for 35D and 35F? And are you also asking me to believe that there are airlines that exit rear sections first? If so, then I apologize for confusing you.

That said, WN is an airline. Singular. You said
You used "airlines". Plural. So my response was a generic response to your generic statement about multiple airlines.

Now, can we stop being deliberately obtuse and talk about the idea itself? Am I understanding you correctly that as people exit into the jetway, there would essentially be 2 lines. One would get stopped short of the terminal and wait in the jetway while the other would be people who show "an exit pass" that they paid extra for so they could enter the terminal sooner than those that didn't pay? If I've understood correctly, what would happen if the line of people who didn't pay extended back into the plane and blocked people who are seated towards the rear of the plane and now can't get to the jetway?

Also, I'm not sure the airline would have the authority to stop passengers entering the terminal from the jetway. They can determine boarding order as long as they stay within the law but otherwise are free to let their best customers on first. Or whatever boarding order they think is best. It's their airplane. But the terminal isn't theirs to police so I'm genuinely curious if they could even do that. Assuming I've understood your idea correctly.
So I guess some people don't have the ability to comprehend new ideas. But presuming you do ...
Firstly, you speak about authority to do this or that. You mean the law? Do airlines have the authority to prevent people from getting on the plane? Or to tell them to get off? So you are saying if someone boards before their assigned group they afe breaking the law? If I understand you correctly.
Or do you means there are laws out there that talk about boarding order. And the government has made those laws, and it is actually a different authority so the police will come arrest you when you board early?
So which law are you referring to that allows them to regulate who boards first?

In terms of exiting: I am not sure if you have flown airplanes before (maybe "an airline", singular)? But it seems you think row 1 deplanes, and then row 2. And the seats on the aisle first, and then middle. Actually I should not presume. How do you think passengers deplane?
I have flown many airlines before, and there is no order. Some people in row 2 may be seated while row 6 is walking out. Sometimes, gasp, people in the middle seat are still there while somehow the window seat passenger has gone. I know that seems impossible to you but I encourage you to fly sometime, you might get to see that miracle.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
So I guess some people don't have the ability to comprehend new ideas. But presuming you do ...
Firstly, you speak about authority to do this or that. You mean the law? Do airlines have the authority to prevent people from getting on the plane? Or to tell them to get off? So you are saying if someone boards before their assigned group they afe breaking the law? If I understand you correctly.
Or do you means there are laws out there that talk about boarding order. And the government has made those laws, and it is actually a different authority so the police will come arrest you when you board early?
So which law are you referring to that allows them to regulate who boards first?
Seems like we can't stop being obtuse, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. By authority, I mean a law or laws that give the airline the right to do something. Isn't that kind of what authority means in a situation like this? So to clarify, I said that I'm not sure the airline has the authority to stop people from entering the terminal. If they do, which law or laws would support them having the authority to stop passengers from entering the terminal? Airlines certainly have the authority to prevent people from getting on the plane. It's their plane. It's not their terminal. Similarly, they can tell people to get off. It's their plane. And I didn't say anything about people boarding before their assigned group. I said airlines are free to determine boarding order (again, it's their plane) as long as they, the airline, not the passenger in case that's what you thought I meant, stay with the law. Specifically the laws that have been mentioned in this thread, 14 CFR part 382.

Do you see why I think you are being obtuse? You're asking me which law allows the airlines to regulate who boards first. Half this thread is about how 14 CFR part 382 talks about preboarding and what an airline must do in regards to that.

In terms of exiting: I am not sure if you have flown airplanes before (maybe "an airline", singular)? But it seems you think row 1 deplanes, and then row 2. And the seats on the aisle first, and then middle. Actually I should not presume. How do you think passengers deplane?
I have flown many airlines before, and there is no order. Some people in row 2 may be seated while row 6 is walking out. Sometimes, gasp, people in the middle seat are still there while somehow the window seat passenger has gone. I know that seems impossible to you but I encourage you to fly sometime, you might get to see that miracle.
I've flown in plenty of planes, both narrow- and wide-body. And I've flown on untold number of airlines. And again, I think you are being deliberately obtuse. Of course there are plenty of times when things happen as you describe. But there are also untold number of times where row 1 does deplane and then row 2. And the aisle seat deplanes followed by the middle and then the window. How do I think passengers deplane? Oh I don't know Mr. Smartypants. I would think they stand up, gather their belongings, and walk off the plane. You should try flying sometime and watch them. It's a sight to behold. That said, you are deflecting from your original idea. I asked you to clarify what you meant by "it happens in the jetway" because I didn't want to assume anything. Instead of explaining it, you are choosing to engage in a logical fallacy by presenting an ad hominem argument.

You yourself said that paying for early deplaning would be regulated on the jetway, not the plane. So why are you focusing on which person gets out of which seat when it makes no difference, according to you? I asked you, by way of a very simple and easily understood, or so I thought, example, how you would regulate early deplaning. Instead of answering the question, you are deflecting from it and focusing on irrelevant details. And you seem to be so focused on that that it doesn't appear to have occurred to you that "doing it on the jetbridge going out to the terminal" is after deplaning has already occurred. If people are in the jetbridge, they've already deplaned. Perhaps that's why what I was saying didn't make sense to you because you considered being in the jetbridge as still being on the plane. It's not.

So again, I'll ask you, do you want to stop being obtuse and actually explain how your idea of "early deplaning" would work or do you want to continue going around in circles just for the sake of it? I'm quite willing to play no matter which you decide. I can get in the weeds with the best of them. Or I can have an adult discussion where we talk about the pros and cons of ideas and suggestions, etc. Ball's in your court and I do have a pretty good backhand if I do say so myself. 😉😊
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
Seems like we can't stop being obtuse, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. By authority, I mean a law or laws that give the airline the right to do something. Isn't that kind of what authority means in a situation like this? So to clarify, I said that I'm not sure the airline has the authority to stop people from entering the terminal. If they do, which law or laws would support them having the authority to stop passengers from entering the terminal? Airlines certainly have the authority to prevent people from getting on the plane. It's their plane. It's not their terminal. Similarly, they can tell people to get off. It's their plane. And I didn't say anything about people boarding before their assigned group. I said airlines are free to determine boarding order (again, it's their plane) as long as they, the airline, not the passenger in case that's what you thought I meant, stay with the law. Specifically the laws that have been mentioned in this thread, 14 CFR part 382.

Do you see why I think you are being obtuse? You're asking me which law allows the airlines to regulate who boards first. Half this thread is about how 14 CFR part 382 talks about preboarding and what an airline must do in regards to that.

I've flown in plenty of planes, both narrow- and wide-body. And I've flown on untold number of airlines. And again, I think you are being deliberately obtuse. Of course there are plenty of times when things happen as you describe. But there are also untold number of times where row 1 does deplane and then row 2. And the aisle seat deplanes followed by the middle and then the window. How do I think passengers deplane? Oh I don't know Mr. Smartypants. I would think they stand up, gather their belongings, and walk off the plane. You should try flying sometime and watch them. It's a sight to behold. That said, you are deflecting from your original idea. I asked you to clarify what you meant by "it happens in the jetway" because I didn't want to assume anything. Instead of explaining it, you are choosing to engage in a logical fallacy by presenting an ad hominem argument.

You yourself said that paying for early deplaning would be regulated on the jetway, not the plane. So why are you focusing on which person gets out of which seat when it makes no difference, according to you? I asked you, by way of a very simple and easily understood, or so I thought, example, how you would regulate early deplaning. Instead of answering the question, you are deflecting from it and focusing on irrelevant details. And you seem to be so focused on that that it doesn't appear to have occurred to you that "doing it on the jetbridge going out to the terminal" is after deplaning has already occurred. If people are in the jetbridge, they've already deplaned. Perhaps that's why what I was saying didn't make sense to you because you considered being in the jetbridge as still being on the plane. It's not.

So again, I'll ask you, do you want to stop being obtuse and actually explain how your idea of "early deplaning" would work or do you want to continue going around in circles just for the sake of it? I'm quite willing to play no matter which you decide. I can get in the weeds with the best of them. Or I can have an adult discussion where we talk about the pros and cons of ideas and suggestions, etc. Ball's in your court and I do have a pretty good backhand if I do say so myself. 😉😊
Sure. Quote me the law which says nobody is allowed to control the passage of people from the jetway out into the terminal.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:42 pm

Sure. Quote me the law which says nobody is allowed to control the passage of people from the jetway out into the terminal.
So we are staying in the weeds, are we? Fair enough. Why do you keep moving the goalposts? Because you know your idea wouldn't work? Just seems odd that you keep making small but not insignificant changes to your premise and then trying to make it seem like I don't know what I'm talking about. Who said anything about "nobody is allowed to control the passage of people from the jetway"? That wasn't your original premise. Originally, you said that the airline could sell early deplaning. When asked how that would work, you stated that it would happen in the jetbridge, not on the plane. Any reasonable person would infer from that that the airline personnel would control that, just as they control boarding.

But now you are appealing to purity, another logical fallacy, by changing it from airline personnel to anybody. But hey, like I said, you're choosing to stay in the weeds and I'm game. Let's get past the part where you say "what if the terminal is under attack or on fire" or "what if Optimus Prime has accidentally transformed right under the jetbridge and made a hole in the floor", or "what if Mr Creosote exploded right by the boarding door after eating one too many Cinnabons". Can we agree that none of that is going on? It's a normal day, a normal flight, and it's just one of the about 100k flights that operate daily? Fair? Ok. So, plane lands, taxis to gate, jetbridge is moved into position, aircraft door is opened, and people start exiting the aircraft. Whether that's the premium cabin exiting first, row 1, etc, doesn't really matter because where they sat on the plane, according to you, has no bearing on this as "early deplaning" is an a la carte purchase (yes, it could be included in some fares, so let's keep this moving along).

The people exiting the aircraft have every right to enter the terminal from the jetbridge. Remember, we aren't talking about odd occurrences such as those outlined above. Normal day. They may have a connection or this may be their final destination. Either way, they are permitted to enter the terminal. Meaning there is no legal basis to prevent them from entering the terminal. Yes people get removed from terminals for things like disorderly conduct, etc, but again, not talking about that. And even then, they aren't removed from the terminal "just because".

So they are permitted to enter the terminal and unlike entering it from street side, there's no security at the threshold from the jetbridge to the terminal. There's no legal basis for stopping them entering the terminal. And if there's no legal basis from stopping them entering the terminal, preventing them from doing so without a legal basis, would almost certainly run afoul of probably more than one law. But I'll give you one law that may apply if the airline tried to stop people from exiting the jetbridge without a legal basis to do so. How about

§ 11.404 False imprisonment.

A person commits a misdemeanor if he or she knowingly restrains another unlawfully so as to interfere substantially with his or her liberty.

Lastly, and I think another poster already mentioned this to some extent, the last thing an airline or airport wants to do is have passengers spend more time in the jetbridge than is absolutely necessary due to safety concerns.

With that, the ball is back in your court. Are you going to expound on your idea of "early deplaning" and how exactly that would work, or are you going to continue to ride the idea into the ground? You've been around here long enough that I honestly don't think you're trolling, so I'm a little at a loss as to why you couldn't just explain your idea at the beginning instead of making all these gyrations on an idea that doesn't seem to make sense. To each their own, I suppose. Like I said, I'm game.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Aurelian
Dear smmrfld
I was not aware there was an audition process!
This would be the second snide remark you have made about me. A quick search of your own posts reveals quite a few snide, superior, dismissive, fake haughty and downright rude attitudes in replies to posts. It seems in your world contrary opinions are dismissed with an imperial wave in the form of a cheap and lazy emoji, (you do love your emojis) or the ":eyeroll:", a trademark sign off of yours. How audaciously theatrical of you.
I think what has irritated you is that I Don 't Know Who You Are.
Correct?
Agreed!
Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:59 am

So, given America is full of lawyers, and airlines have held people in planes for hours on end and not let off, why haven't airlines have been sued for this "false imprisonment" you noted?
You know false imprisonment is a thing. It doesn't need quotes. Again, you moved the goalposts. You asked about the jetbridge. I answered that. Now you want to take what I said and apply it to a completely different situation.

And airlines have been sued for false imprisonment.

Look, it's OK to admit that your idea about early deplaning is a bust. No shame in that. But you are digging a deeper and deeper hole for yourself by not answering questions about that idea and, instead, throwing around red herrings and other unrelated nonsense.

Do you want to go back to discussing the early deplaning idea or are you going to ask me why Chick-fil-A hasn't been sued for false imprisonment when people have to wait in a long line at the drive thru? I'm game either way.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:37 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by LegalTender
The original post put FT in a legal jam. Depicting people in wheelchairs as even potential fakes is debasing.
It was simpler than that: excessive quoting of a copyrighted news article.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
How long does it take for flight points to post? I flew Sunday evening. It is Wednesday morning.

UA posts within 15 minutes of arrival (for UA operated flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.