Wiki Posts
Search

Changing companion pass companion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta sky miles, SW RR, us airways, Alamo, Avis
Changing companion pass companion

Hey everyone just wanted to give a heads up that I called 3 different times to try and change my companion over the phone and was denied each time. I was able to do it the first time I changed companions but seems they are cracking down on it now. I even told them I needed to book a flight for next week and needed it changed and they each told me to send the other card back as quick as possible to see if they can get it changed.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:10 am

you can designate your initial companion over the phone, but subsequent changes have to be made in writing and sent by mail. if your flight will occur before this can take place, your only option is to contact wn customer relations.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by sctn8gp
you can designate your initial companion over the phone, but subsequent changes have to be made in writing and sent by mail. if your flight will occur before this can take place, your only option is to contact wn customer relations.
Incorrect. It's been well documented here that you can call customer relations and change your companion. Personally I've done it at least 5 or 6 times.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:15 am

Changed mine over the phone about a week ago (first change in current CP, not the initial companion designation), no problem at all.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta sky miles, SW RR, us airways, Alamo, Avis
Like I said the first time I changed it I was allowed to do it over the phone. I called 3 different times and talk to 3 different people yesterday and they all said the same thing. I will call again today and try.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by jobo18
Like I said the first time I changed it I was allowed to do it over the phone. I called 3 different times and talk to 3 different people yesterday and they all said the same thing. I will call again today and try.
it really wouldn't surprise me if they're changing policy on this. WN continues to de-value itself in the eyes of frequent flyers as per the status quo over the last 18 months.

One hidden benefit might be a delayed roll-out of RR 2.0 if the current problem-plagued website is any indication.

Last edited by bon95; Jan 5, 2011 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by bon95
Incorrect. It's been well documented here that you can call customer relations and change your companion. Personally I've done it at least 5 or 6 times.
if you changed over the phone you were given an exception, and ymmv on exceptions......

the policy from the website:

You can change your Companion Pass up to three (3) times during the 12-month validity period. Requests must be made in writing and accompanied by the current Companion Pass card, which will be cancelled, to: Southwest Airlines, Rapid Rewards, P.O. Box 36657, Dallas, TX 75235. Please include your new Companion’s name, address, phone number, social security number, and date of birth. Allow 21 days for processing.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by sctn8gp
if you changed over the phone you were given an exception, and ymmv on exceptions......

the policy from the website:

You can change your Companion Pass up to three (3) times during the 12-month validity period. Requests must be made in writing and accompanied by the current Companion Pass card, which will be cancelled, to: Southwest Airlines, Rapid Rewards, P.O. Box 36657, Dallas, TX 75235. Please include your new Companion’s name, address, phone number, social security number, and date of birth. Allow 21 days for processing.
You originally stated "subsequent changes have to be made in writing and sent by mail." I'm simply stating that myself and countless CP holders on this board have reported customer relations doing this for them time and time again.

In fact, this thread is the FIRST time I've heard of them not doing it.

So again, you were incorrect. Stating "have to" is erroneous.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
was the OP calling the rapid rewards # or one of the Southwest 800#s. If it's a later #, they may have spoken to a reservation agent, who pulled up and re-read the terms and conditions.

I used to get semi-immediate companion changes by having them ask me to cut up the old card, and fax a photocopy of the pieces to Dallas. I always laughed because every time I just cut up a photocopy of the card and re-copied it. So I could keep more worthless plastic cards in my collection I guess.

I've never once called and *TOLD* them that they were going to change my companion. I explained that I have <x> person listed and want to travel with <y> person in the very near future, could they find any way to help me out.

Edit: A friend just changed their CP today 5 minues before closing, at 4:55pm dallas time, by calling the 214 number for rapid rewards listed in the Wiki. They were done and off the phone before the clock turned 5.

Last edited by expert7700; Jan 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:03 am

You originally stated "subsequent changes have to be made in writing and sent by mail." I'm simply stating that myself and countless CP holders on this board have reported customer relations doing this for them time and time again.

In fact, this thread is the FIRST time I've heard of them not doing it.

So again, you were incorrect. Stating "have to" is erroneous.
i surrender
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
And none of this matters now, as of 3/1/11, when with RR 2.0 they will start allowing changes over the phone, per the new FAQ.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
And none of this matters now, as of 3/1/11, when with RR 2.0 they will start allowing changes over the phone, per the new FAQ.
Word! And even better is that it's the 800 number you can call and change it.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: Platinum Ambassador Priority Club, Singapore Silver Elite, Hilton Honors Silver, Continental Silver
Word! And even better is that it's the 800 number you can call and change it.
Um, I haven't had a lot of luck with a human answering any of their 800 numbers within 5 minutes of the call so I don't think an additional 800 number will help much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.