Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expiration date on award cert?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Expiration date on award cert?

Is the expiration date on an award cert. the date by which the ticket must be issued or the date by which all award travel must be completed?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:04 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
It is the date by which travel must be completed. However, you can extend the award for another year by paying a $50.00 fee. (The new expiration date becomes a year from the date you pay the $50.00 fee.)
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks, dc2. Just what I needed to know.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by dc2
It is the date by which travel must be completed. However, you can extend the award for another year by paying a $50.00 fee. (The new expiration date becomes a year from the date you pay the $50.00 fee.)
Do you have 1 year after the expiration date to pay the fee and extend the award or 2 years? In other words, if a ticket expired on 1/1/10, do I need to pay the extension fee by 1/1/11 or 1/1/12?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:23 am

From the official FAQ http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...#award_tickets :

an Award may be reissued for a $50 fee. We will only consider reissuing Awards that have been expired less than 24 months.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
One last point: extending a RT Award (2 one-ways) or a one-way Award is $50 in either case.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:22 pm

Expired Rewards past the 2 year expiration date

My buddy had a Reward expired for over 2 years and he was able to reconstitute it by writing a letter and having the award identification and such. I don't know if they still do that. It's a lot of trouble anyway. Can you wait for almost two years after expiration and restore for a year indefinitely?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:38 am
Original Poster

I have 32 credits to use on awards but I'll be darned if I can find when each award was issued so that I know how much more time I have to use the awards. Is the date of issue of awards on my account page or can I find the date(s) somewhere else?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:57 am

On the MySouthwest page, click on Awards on the left-hand side. Your awards and their expiration dates are listed.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by upgrader
I have 32 credits to use on awards but I'll be darned if I can find when each award was issued so that I know how much more time I have to use the awards. Is the date of issue of awards on my account page or can I find the date(s) somewhere else?
Southwest is not like other airlines where you "cash in" awards. When you get to 16 credits, it automatically issues a RT award. So you shouldn't have 32 credits "to use."

Unless I am misunderstanding you.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jan 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:30 am
Original Poster

rove312, thanks. I found the expiration date. toomanybooks, it turns out I have only 15 more points toward the 16 I need for another award so my balance showing is, as it should be, 15 points and do not yet have a second award. Sorry if my terminology was incorrect as I hadn't flown WN in a while nor had I checked my account page very thoroughly. Glad I checked since my award expires next month so I'll have to a) fly, b)pay $50 to extend it, or c) put it on CC and see what I can get. At least now I know my options.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:43 pm

Viability After Restoration

Originally Posted by upgrader
rove312, thanks. I found the expiration date. toomanybooks, it turns out I have only 15 more points toward the 16 I need for another award so my balance showing is, as it should be, 15 points and do not yet have a second award. Sorry if my terminology was incorrect as I hadn't flown WN in a while nor had I checked my account page very thoroughly. Glad I checked since my award expires next month so I'll have to a) fly, b)pay $50 to extend it, or c) put it on CC and see what I can get. At least now I know my options.
What's CC?
The way I understand it, you can leave the expired ticket in limbo for up to 2 years and revive it during that time for one additional year with the $50 payment. Note that the WN website shows the revivable ticket on the website for the 2 years and then it disappears (forever?) unless you've already restored it. I still have two questions: a) Can I restore a ticket after it has been expired and restored once already by paying another $50? b) Do they still restore tickets expired longer than two years if you have the coupon number and $50 and mail the request to some mysterious address at WN like my buddy once did?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

CC = Coupon Connection, where the WN award could be mutually gifted in return for something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.