Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When were you able to redeem an award?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

When were you able to redeem an award?

We just received our first couple of awards and just looked on the date that we are traveling and there is nothing avaiable that day. What have your experiences been with when your award has become available? Could you please comment on if the time you were looking for became available as well.
I wish I could put this in real poll form, well here it goes.

Options are:
#1- Award was available the day flights opened.
#2- Award was available 5 months out.
#3- Award was available 4 months out.
#4- Award was available 3 months out.
#5- Award was available 2 months out.
#6- Award was available 1 month out.
#7- Award was available 3 weeks out.
#8- Award was available 2 weeks out.
#9- Award was available 1 weeks out.
#10- Award was available a few days out.
#11- Award never became available for day I was looking for.

Thanks for all the help and info, and for the record we are looking for MCO to ISP on April 1st. I looked and there was no availability from April 1st thru the 7th. This is not looking good.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I have had all of your situations #1-10 occur. I suppose #11 should also count, but I don't expect to get an award ticket on a holiday weekend. (Note that you are trying to book NYC-FLA over Easter Weekend - I don't expect that to open up at all.) Between Xmas & New year's, I was able to book an award for CLE-HRL a few days prior (and shocked that it worked out!)
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
If you're willing to fly out of TPA there is award availability for TPA-ISP non-stop on the 7am flight April 1st.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: WN CP
Holiday weekends are difficult. Best advice is to check multiple and I mean MULTIPLE times per day. You never know when your dates might have a seat or two open up. I've had them open a week out, and sometimes as late as the day before. And if the dates you want to travel are that important, buy the flight you want, and if your RR seats come available, cancel the flight you paid for and use the credit later.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
I have had all of your situations #1-10 occur. I suppose #11 should also count, but I don't expect to get an award ticket on a holiday weekend. (Note that you are trying to book NYC-FLA over Easter Weekend - I don't expect that to open up at all.) Between Xmas & New year's, I was able to book an award for CLE-HRL a few days prior (and shocked that it worked out!)

I guess I can dream....

Originally Posted by bon95
If you're willing to fly out of TPA there is award availability for TPA-ISP non-stop on the 7am flight April 1st.
Thank you for the leg work. I have a flight out of MCO already.

Originally Posted by admmr
Holiday weekends are difficult. Best advice is to check multiple and I mean MULTIPLE times per day. You never know when your dates might have a seat or two open up. I've had them open a week out, and sometimes as late as the day before. And if the dates you want to travel are that important, buy the flight you want, and if your RR seats come available, cancel the flight you paid for and use the credit later.
Yeas I will have to become OCD about this for any shot. I currently have the last flight out paid for. So a couple RR seats would save me a bundle.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:19 am
Original Poster

If an entire week is unavailable, would there be hope for spots opening as you get closer to departure day? If there are empty seats?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: WN CP
There may be, but it is most unlikely in that case. I would still check very very frequently, something might change. I would try to buy 8 tickets on a flight, if it won't allow you to buy that many, more than likely they will not open up any award seats. At least that is what I have found in the past.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by admmr
There may be, but it is most unlikely in that case. I would still check very very frequently, something might change. I would try to buy 8 tickets on a flight, if it won't allow you to buy that many, more than likely they will not open up any award seats. At least that is what I have found in the past.
Thank You.^

Anymore?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:01 am

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by thefixs2
Thank You.^

Anymore?
It's indirect (and a long day with only a 35 minute connection) but I found MCO to BHM and then BHM to ISP. I tried 1 passenger first but then was able to search and find availability for 3 passengers (that's how many you needed, right?)

Depart Apr 01 Thu 2 MCO-BHM-ISP 3497 Depart Orlando (MCO) at 8:55 AM
Arrive in Birmingham (BHM) at 9:35 AM
2011 Change planes in Birmingham (BHM) departing at 10:10 AM
Arrive in Long Island (ISP) at 3:50 PM

I couldn't find any from MCO to cities with nonstop service into ISP.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by honey4life12
It's indirect (and a long day with only a 35 minute connection) but I found MCO to BHM and then BHM to ISP. I tried 1 passenger first but then was able to search and find availability for 3 passengers (that's how many you needed, right?)

Depart Apr 01 Thu 2 MCO-BHM-ISP 3497 Depart Orlando (MCO) at 8:55 AM
Arrive in Birmingham (BHM) at 9:35 AM
2011 Change planes in Birmingham (BHM) departing at 10:10 AM
Arrive in Long Island (ISP) at 3:50 PM

I couldn't find any from MCO to cities with nonstop service into ISP.
Thanks for the research!^ I shutter at the idea of dragging wife and two young kids around, I would cry.

Next question: What dollar value do you put on an award? Would you use in on a $109 fare. $99, $79.......
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by thefixs2
Thanks for the research!^ I shutter at the idea of dragging wife and two young kids around, I would cry.

Next question: What dollar value do you put on an award? Would you use in on a $109 fare. $99, $79.......
That is a personal choice, depending on what routes you fly and how many awards you have. If you mostly fly $79 routes, and are sitting on a ton of awards, with some soon to expire, and more in the pipeline, a $59 fare looks better than spending $50 to reissue it down the road. On the other hand, if you fly $159-$219 routes, and only have a couple, with few in the pipeline, a $109 fare looks wasted.

On average, the value of a one way flight on an award is $150, give or take.

Last edited by irabk; Feb 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irabk
That is a personal choice, depending on what routes you fly and how many awards you have. If you mostly fly $79 routes, and are sitting on a ton of awards, with some soon to expire, and more in the pipeline, a $59 fare looks better than spending $50 to reissue it down the road. On the other hand, if you fly $159-$219 routes, and only have a couple, with few in the pipeline, a $109 fare looks wasted.

On average, the value of a one way flight on an award is $150, give or take.
Thank you.

Any more experience or opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.