WN rumors 4 new cities in 2010

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
WN rumors 4 new cities in 2010

Hi All,

I've hearing a rumors from WN will next 4 new cities to be announced in 2010. I am not quite sure for which one is that. I think WN is considering CLT, GSO, CAE, BIL, DSM, FAR, ANC, SJU and of course Hawaii, too. If they will have ETOPS overwater restrictions by 120 minutes from FAA certifications. It will have to be installion the liferaft & lifejackets, too. Let's speculations begin where WN is under particular consideration for which the specific routes to be next announced in 2010 timelines.

Regarrds
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:02 pm

My vote for CLT.

Last edited by pirossalma; Dec 19, 2009 at 8:51 am
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: SWA Companion Pass, SWA A-list+, National Executive, Hilton Diamond
ATL....Period.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
I think it's a safe bet that there will be new cities in 2010 so any "rumors" you may be hearing are basically a foregone conclusion. Where are you hearing the number 4 though?

I'm certain ATL is GOING to happen. It's just too much money being left on the table and the last obvious glaring absence on the route map. And with the shift of strategy now including busy airports, there's no real reason to discount it any more. I'm sure Southwest is hard at work trying to figure out a good strategy as far as starting up ATL and how to cleverly mesh it into the route network.

Based on nothing but my own selfish reasons, I would love to see EUG happen. Trust me when I tell you that there are a LOT of people in Oregon who dread driving into PDX to fly out.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingTigers
ATL....Period.
It's won't be necessary go through to ATL due to the congestions against those 2 carriers FL & DL. Instead, this is better way where WN is considered to SAV is more convenient and no slots restrictions available for this time. IT will have to be avoid through to ATL. It was too many aircraft are waited for takeoff from ATL due to slots restrictions.

I think WN is considering DSM, FAR, BIL, BZN, FSD, SHV, GPT, MOB, or anywhere else for which the specific routes will be choose. I think WN will able to get small regional jets to be on ordered is CRJ-900NG only for small cities. It will have more limitations restrictions not want to need a larger aircraft. This better way where WN is searching for a small regional jets partnership with Republic or Mesa Airlines. It could be workout very well only for a few weekly frequencies.

Last edited by N830MH; Dec 17, 2009 at 9:18 pm
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
It's won't be necessary go through to ATL due to the congestions against those 2 carriers FL & DL. Instead, this is better way where WN is considered to SAV is more convenient and no slots restrictions available for this time. IT will have to be avoid through to ATL. It was too many aircraft are waited for takeoff from ATL due to slots restrictions.

I think WN is considering DSM, FAR, BIL, BZN, FSD, SHV, GPT, MOB, or anywhere else for which the specific routes will be choose. I think WN will able to get small regional jets to be on ordered is CRJ-900NG only for small cities. It will have more limitations restrictions not want to need a larger aircraft. This better way where WN is searching for a small regional jets partnership with Republic or Mesa Airlines. It could be workout very well only for a few weekly frequencies.

RJs are not likely because Southwest will not want to have to incur the costs of maintaining and flight training for an additional aircraft type. As for contracted feed, this will also never happen because the pilot's union contract specifically forbids it.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Hi All,

I've hearing a rumors from WN will next 4 new cities to be announced in 2010. I am not quite sure for which one is that. I think WN is considering CLT, GSO, CAE, BIL, DSM, FAR, ANC, SJU and of course Hawaii, too.
There are geographical gaps in the U.S. that Southwest will eventually fill unless they are clearly not economic.

ATL is a gap. Somewhere between ATL/GSO/CAE/CLT is a large gap, too. Once some of those cities get service, the others ones might not for a long while. For example, if ATL gets it, CLT might eventually get it but GSO and CAE would be doomed. If ATL is deemed too competitive then GSO might be a compromise and CLT could be out for a while. CAE is close enough to CLT but not very close to ATL. CHS+CLT+ATL is a possibility but then CAE would be out.

DSM seems like a gap. Wichita is also a gap but not that large a market. ANC may reap high fares.

Some smaller cities, like Santa Barbara, Mobile, Colorado Springs, Fresno, Syracuse, or Richmond might eventually get service some day.

Miami is a big city that's missing and might eventually get service.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 797-3
Some smaller cities, like Santa Barbara, Mobile, Colorado Springs, Fresno, Syracuse, or Richmond might eventually get service some day.

Miami is a big city that's missing and might eventually get service.
There is 1 more things for MIA. Because it was very expensive the landing fees is almost $15 for that. This is not specific time into MIA at all. So instead, this is only way where WN is still served those 2 SFLA airport PBI & FLL. I don't think such good idea where WN is not being served into MIA. It will be very expensive the landing fees & facility costly.

I think it will be considered to begin more new cities to be announced COS, RIC, SBA are under the particular consideration. If they will expecting to be announcement in 2010 timelines. There is good condition for another opinions is not specifiable time go through to ATL. It will have a real problems due to the congestions.

So however, WN is possbility looking for Caribbean routes in between 2010 or 2011 timelines. It will have a weekly frequencies nonstop from FLL/MCO/TPA-NAS, PLS, GCM, SJU, BQN, PSE, ANU, SXM, STT, STX, PUJ, STI, SDQ, POP, AUA, MBJ, KIN, CUR, GDT, and few other leisure vacation traveler from Florida. If they will have enough more demand out of SFLA. All 73G must have with ETOPS from FAA cerifications by overwataer restictions. It will have installed more liferaft & lifejackets, too.

I don't seen anything else is not possbily service to PAP, HAV, and others are on blacklist restrictions due to too many violents and is very extremely dangerous out there in Haiti are not considers to service on this route. If the restrictions will be lifts from president Obama will have subject to be approval. I can't personally whether to decide from DOT is in negotiations deal from WN more potential new routes in the future.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:22 pm

There's one thing that you have to keep in mind with the whole ATL thing. Part of the appeal of ATL is the airport itself, and not simply the Atlanta market. Serving SAV would be nice as far as getting local Atlanta area passengers flying Southwest, but that's not the whole picture. Do you think ATL is the busiest airport in the world because of the city of Atlanta?... No,.. Atlanta is a decent sized city but it's air traffic is disproportionate to the size of the city itself .. It's the busiest because so much traffic moves THROUGH ATL. In order to benefit from that it would require Southwest to actually operate IN ATL..

Last edited by num1bearsfan; Dec 17, 2009 at 11:28 pm
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Hoping they add CVG or DAY. ATL is the other obvious hole. In other words, after firing up service at all UA hubs, why not set their sights on DL?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
I think it's a safe bet that there will be new cities in 2010 so any "rumors" you may be hearing are basically a foregone conclusion. Where are you hearing the number 4 though?
Probably from reply #100 in the WN Announces Expanded Schedule Today thread over at a.net

well... to add more speculation and say that WN will be adding 4 cities in 2010.

this comes from someone in upper mgmt during a meeting today. not sure of what the cities are just yet
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Hoping they add CVG or DAY. ATL is the other obvious hole. In other words, after firing up service at all UA hubs, why not set their sights on DL?
CVG/DAY is reasonably well served by SDF, IND, and CMH, depending on where you live. I'd be surprised if they added something two hours from three other airports.

As I travel to SAV, I'd love to see it. There are tourists for Hilton Head, but it isn't the biggest town. What about CHS? It's far enough from ATL and CLT that Southwest could serve it, too.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
WN doesn't take on companies. They look mostly for markets where they can drive new business by lowering fares (Southwest Effect). The other companies suffer (poor companies) not through loss of business (which is still there and possibly even increased) but through reduced fares due to competition.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Charlotte. If anyone from WN is listening, let me say it again: Charlotte. By the way, Charlotte does not mean GSP or CAE. Charlotte means that big airport near downtown. If WN wants business traffic going into Charlotte, they need to serve the airport near the businesses! Making people drive 2 hours from the sticks will not get them business traffic. It's similar to making people (like me) slog down from Raleigh. It sucks and I only do it because there are a couple customers in the Raleigh area that I see.

Atlanta would be nice and so would National. Slots, of course, are an issue there. Cincy would be a good addition too. Lots of room and it's a pretty nice airport.

Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
It's the busiest because so much traffic moves THROUGH ATL.
If you live east of the Mississippi River and you die, you have to go through Atlanta to get to the afterlife.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
ATL is not slot restricted.

ATL is a very large domestic O&D market, never mind total airport passenger counts.

The data are a couple of years old, but if WN wants to go where the passengers are:

ATL #5 in domestic O&D

CLT #36

GSO #85

GSP # 101

http://www.eclatconsulting.com/im_pd...us_markets.pdf

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 18, 2009 at 8:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.