Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for Day in Orlando

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Suggestions for Day in Orlando

My wife and I have 1 day in Orlando. We'd like to check out a water park and possibly a beach. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old May 2, 2006, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Doing both in one day would be difficult, the nearest beach from the tourist area is about an hour away.

Here is a recent thread on the main Orlando water parks, my summary is:
1) if you want the wildest rides, with no "theming" - Wet 'n Wild
2) If you want to try out a wave pool with body surfing waves - Disney's Typhoon lagoon.
3) For a decent all-around themed park - Disney's Blizzard Beach.

As far as real beaches Cocoa is about an hour, head east on SR 528, turn left at McDonalds, turn right at dead end, there will be several parks and parking lots on the left for the next few miles. Or keep going south past McDs, there is Ron Jon's and several other beach parking areas.

For a less crowded beach (though Cocoa isn't too bad), a bit further north is Playalinda Beach at the Canaveral National Seashore. Admission required, not sure but I think it is around $6.00.

If you want to experience beach driving, try Daytona or New Smyna, both north on I-4, probably around 1:15 driving time. There is a fee to drive/park on the beach, at least on weekends.

For calmer, warmer water, you could also go west to the Gulf, to Clearwater or St. Pete, but you are probably looking at close to 2 hours to reach the beach.

For both the water parks and beaches, weekdays are less crowded. On weekends, plan on difficulty finding beach parking unless you get there before 9:30 or so.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:17 am
In memoriam

I also like Washington Oaks State Park near Palm Coast (probably 1 1/2 hours from Orlando):

"Although the formal gardens are the centerpiece of this park, Washington Oaks is also famous for the unique shoreline of coquina rock formations that line its Atlantic beach."

Don't know when your trip is - but it's fire season now - and the fires in that area near the coast have been bad. So check the news before you hit the road. Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.