Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Trans. b/w Safari and WDW Dolphin: Tiffany Towncar, Cab or Something Else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trans. b/w Safari and WDW Dolphin: Tiffany Towncar, Cab or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I can live with that
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I can live with that
That means a lot to me, thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:38 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by slippahs
Thanks for the replies. After reading through disboards.com and considering the info posted here, it looks like a compromise between the two alternatives will be made.

Car rental for the first few days while we're at the Safari.

Then, return the car at the Dolphin, slow the vacation down a bit and enjoy the parks along with the WDW transportation. Also make sure you book National Car Rental as they are the only Company with Drop-off at The Dolphin, thereby saving the hassle of dropping off elsewhere. There is also a Free Emerald National membership offer in opperation at the moment.

This seems to be the best balance between price, flexibility and comfort.

Will report back after trip.
Now you need to check if you can use and book the Free Disney's Magical Express Bus Transfer Service to Orlando Airport for your return journey from your Disney Resort .Also make sure you book National Car Rental as they are the only Company with Drop-off at The Dolphin, thereby saving the hassle of dropping off elsewhere. There is also a Free Emerald National membership offer in operation at the moment. http://www.nationalcar.com ^

Last edited by UncleDude; Apr 10, 2006 at 1:46 pm
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Now you need to check if you can use and book the Free Disney's Magical Express Bus Transfer Service to Orlando Airport for your return journey from your Disney Resort to the Airport.
Though the Swan/Dolphin are considered Walt Disney resorts (in that they are on Disney's property and qualify for EMHs), it seems they do not offer the Magicial Express bus. I'm fine with that, don't mind shelling out $55 for a o/w transfer to MCO from the Dolphin.

Thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Alright, just an update. National dropped their rates a bit--and a week long car rental now rests just under $173 (add on the Dolphin parking rate for 5 days and a total of $213). Guess this might be a better way to go instead of renting it for two (at a total of $89 + $55 for a Towncan on the way back). Will talk it over with my SO and see what she says. Thanks again for ya'lls help. We're very much looking forward to this trip!

Last edited by slippahs; Apr 17, 2006 at 10:38 pm Reason: price decrease as we speak
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yes, I am looking at car rental rates for mid-June and am finding the price trending down. For example, under $300 yesterday using a Sam's Club code for a 2-week MCO National rental June 7-21 at www.southwest.com even before coupons (BTW, the code for their office in the Dolphin is ORLR13).

Maybe the high price of oil/gas is starting to pinch some potential vacationers.

Be careful with National. The price goes up 40% or so on the above rate when I include my Emerald Club number. Wonder whether that's a fluke or normal.

www.mousesavers.com has some hints on "stacking" multiple discounts with National to get a great rate.

If you are going to pick up and return to MCO, you can save some money with EZ Car. They have a shuttle, maybe 10-15 minutes from the airport, but as I recall it's in the direction of Disneyworld anyway. Seems a slightly disorganized operation, but the car was fine and we saved a bunch of money.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
One other thing. I think, but am not sure, that Swan/Dolphin charges for guest parking. Something like $8 a day. Worth checking on that.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
One other thing. I think, but am not sure, that Swan/Dolphin charges for guest parking. Something like $8 a day. Worth checking on that.
Thanks for the head's up. Yes, the Swan/Dolphin do charge $8/day for parking, which we did not use.

We ended up renting a car for two days via National. Used their Emerald Reserve service for an SUV at $67 for the total rental + roughly $10 for gas, which worked out perfectly.

Having a car at the Safari was a must. We would not have been able to have the flexibility to get around the WDW area without one, and we were also able to run over to Walgreens and pick up supplies/snacks needed for the trip.

Returning the rental at the Dolphin was easy. Valet took the car and I received an e-receipt of the total cost via e-mail. Simple. Then, we had no problems using Disney Transportation except for one night when the Downtown Disney bus didn't come after waiting for roughly 40 minutes. We scrapped our plans to go to Pleasure Island and instead went to the Dance Hall on the Boardwalk.

Personally, I didn't see any sort of benefit to having a car while staying at the Dolphin. Disney transportation got you where you needed to be (albeit the trip to the Magic Kingdom took 20 minutes) in a reasonable amount of time; and, I didn't have to struggle with Disney parking.

On the return to MCO, we ended up using a o/w car service with Mear's rather than Tiffanys since Tiffanys did not accept credit cards for o/w trips (and I avoid using cash whenever possible). So, booked the o/w on Mears' website ahead of time and the driver got us to the airport on-time.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. In the end, we had a very magical Disney trip filled with great memories. On the side, one comment that both my SO and I made was that we prefer Disneyland over Disneyworld. Disneyworld has so much to do that it almost seems stressful trying to get everything in. I guess also since we were raised with Disneyland (it's closer to Hawaii), we much rather prefer something we're accustomed to. Regardless, we will be heading back, hopefully sooner than later.
Old May 22, 2006, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by slippahs
Disney transportation got you where you needed to be (albeit the trip to the Magic Kingdom took 20 minutes) in a reasonable amount of time; and, I didn't have to struggle with Disney parking.
Isn't 20 mins good? I'd have thought that if you drove over to the TTC from the Swan, parked up, took the tram across to the monorail/ferry dock then got across to MK it would take 30-45 mins minimum...
Old May 28, 2006, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, former elite in several airlines, but don't fly as much now
Originally Posted by mkt
WDW itself is fairly easy to get around without a car. It's quite possibly the only part of Orlando with decent public transportation. The only catch is you're stuck with everyone else who is using WDW transportation during their stays, and you're not free to do things at your own schedule. WDW is pretty easy to get around, also being quite possibly the only part of Orlando with decent signage tellin people where to go.
Driving around Orlando quite frequently, I can tell you there are PLENTY of signs telling people where to go!
Old May 28, 2006, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moneeman
Driving around Orlando quite frequently, I can tell you there are PLENTY of signs telling people where to go!
Even despite that, we still managed to get lost! Began heading down towards Tampa after missing a clearly marked sign. In my defense, we were driving close to midnight and were trying to read a printed version of Google Maps, which we really did not need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.