SW Florida September Hurricanes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2005, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss TC; Miles & More; Mileage Plus; SkyMiles; AAdvantgage; Frequence Plus; Marriott Rewards

hi everybody,
i'm planning a trip to sw florida in september. i've been there a couple of times before but only once in september. this was last year and we were unlucky enough to be in destin (panhandle) when hurricane (ivan???) hit the coast. this forced us out of sunny florida further back north. this year we would like to spend 2 weeks in naples region. so was this accumulation of hurricans in 2004 exceptional for the month of september? do you know of any very long term predictions for this year? national hurricane center?
would it be better to go somewhere else (just for the sake of not loosing to much of our holidays [and money]).
thanks in advance for helping me
best regards
jetaviation
Old May 21, 2005, 8:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

September is and always will be hurricane season for Florida. If it's really worth risking another hurricane, then go for it.. although it's not like there has been a hurricane-free season or something.

Go somewhere else. Don't be a glutton for punishment.
Old May 21, 2005, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
NOAA is predicting an above average Atlantic hurricane season for 2005. But I wouldn't worry about it, I went thru Frances and Jean in 2004 and I'm not moving. I also have plans for SJU in late September. ^

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2438.htm

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...hurricane.html
Old May 21, 2005, 8:51 am
In Memoriam

From Tuesday's Tallahassee Democrat this headline -- Researchers expect 3-5 serious hurricanes. Some expect season to be similar to '04's. The article basically says that government researchers (echoed by private research) predict six months of hurricane activity similar to last year's. NOAA expects 12 to 15 tropical storms to grow into 7 to 9 hurricanes (2 to 3 to hit US) with several of those "intense." I think it's just a lottery anyway, and I don't think I'd let it keep me away but I can understand your concern for a vacation.
Old May 21, 2005, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by izzik
Go somewhere else. Don't be a glutton for punishment.
Texas and the midwest has tornadoes.
California has earthquakes.
The Pacific Nortwest has rain.
Colorado and the upper midwest can have snow.
New England and the Northeast (including NY and NJ ) can have hurricanes.
Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, SC, NC have hurricanes.

You can go to FL and find new and rebuilt hotels in the 2004 hurricane areas.
You can go anywhere.
You can also stay home and hope nothing happens there.

Life is risky. So are vacations.
Old May 21, 2005, 10:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by JetAviation
hi everybody,
i'm planning a trip to sw florida in september. i've been there a couple of times before but only once in september. this was last year and we were unlucky enough to be in destin (panhandle) when hurricane (ivan???) hit the coast. this forced us out of sunny florida further back north. this year we would like to spend 2 weeks in naples region. so was this accumulation of hurricans in 2004 exceptional for the month of september? do you know of any very long term predictions for this year? national hurricane center?
would it be better to go somewhere else (just for the sake of not loosing to much of our holidays [and money]).
best regards
jetaviation
We are going on vacation to where you live during xmas week. Will there be any chance that we might have flight delays due to snow? @:-)
Old May 21, 2005, 1:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Sure. The OP has already suffered through one hurricane .. why not go for a double?
Old May 21, 2005, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by izzik
Sure. The OP has already suffered through one hurricane .. why not go for a double?
Hey, the hurricane is exciting in a way... it's the aftermath that s****!
Old May 21, 2005, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss TC; Miles & More; Mileage Plus; SkyMiles; AAdvantgage; Frequence Plus; Marriott Rewards
thanks for the irony.

Originally Posted by magic111
We are going on vacation to where you live during xmas week. Will there be any chance that we might have flight delays due to snow? @:-)
but hey, i can guarantee you one thing. there won't be any big delays due to snowy weather. in jan/feb one , maximum two days.
but hey irony is fun, isn't it.
Old May 21, 2005, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

thank you very much

exactly the kind of information i was looking for. thanks again
hope someday i can help you with infos about europe, switzerland, zurich ......
best regards from lszh (zrh).
Old May 21, 2005, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

thanks to you as well

thanks for the links and comment.
exactly what i needed.
hope i can help you with an enquiry one day
regards
Old May 21, 2005, 5:28 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I'll move this topic to our Florida travel forum for continued discussion as that is the appropriate forum for discussion of this topic. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old May 28, 2005, 9:31 pm

hi everybody,
best regards
jetaviation
JetAviation - believe it or not, you are more likely to get hit by a hurricane in the Panhandle than you are in Naples. Last year was a bad hurricane season for Florida, true, but Naples escaped relatively unscathed. In fact, we haven't had a direct hit here since Hurricane Andrew came across the peninsula in 1992, and even then the damage wasn't too serious.

Will this hurricane season be as bad as last year? Possibly. Will we get hit this time? Again, possibly. But I'd rather be in Naples than in the Panhandle when hurricanes come roaring up the Gulf of Mexico.
Old May 28, 2005, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Even during the height of the hurricane season, the chances of your locale taking a hit by a hurricane during any one week period in Fla. is miniscule.

Hurricanes would be the very last worry on my mind if I were heading to Fla that time of year. If Naples is where you want to vacation, imo, you'd be wasting your $$$ if you were to "go somewhere else".
Old May 29, 2005, 12:07 pm

hi everybody,
best regards
jetaviation
September is not the best month for a vacation in Naples/SW Florida:
-you may have a hurricane or you may not ..... that wouldn't worry me
-the weather in September is very "unpredictable" .. rainy, humid, hot (90+F)
October (or later) is much better.

Here is an article about Naples in the NY Times ... you may have to register (free)?!
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/14/travel/NAPLES.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.