Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

What to do at ATL, TPA, BNA from midnight to about 6 AM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do at ATL, TPA, BNA from midnight to about 6 AM?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
The op might also consider the hotel tonight app, or Hotwire/priceline and booking an opaque rate hotel. Sometimes those can been well under $100 for airport hotels.
This right here is the best option in my opinion.
lsquare and donotblink like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Well, either (1) rich, (2) rich in other people's money, or (3) overworked, sleep-deprived, and in desperate need of a few hours of quiet rest before getting back on the road too early the next day.

Option (3) applies to me every time I stay at the stupid Embassy Suites by PWM before taking the 5:25 a.m. flight to DCA.

Regardless, let us know what you end up doing! Pics of the hashbrowns from Waffle House or it didn't happen
I'm trying to avoid this itinerary, but nothing has been booked yet. If I do buy the fare, I'll let you know what I ended up doing. For sure I ain't paying $200 to stay at a Marriott for 4 hours!
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm trying to avoid this itinerary, but nothing has been booked yet. If I do buy the fare, I'll let you know what I ended up doing. For sure I ain't paying $200 to stay at a Marriott for 4 hours!
what are your dates?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
You can stay airside at tpa. But there is nothing there. Seats. Power points, restrooms and water fountain. No other services, nothing to buy. Shops won't open before your flight but the AC opens at 4.15 iirc.

If you have TSA precheck and your flight leaves at 6am, you could easily get away with leaving the Marriott hotel at tpa at 5.15 or 5.30 to go to the terminal. Security takes only a minute or two at this hour for terminal F.
zombietooth and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage
It takes me generally an hour or so before I can get to sleep and sleeping for just 2-3 hours makes me feel just worse. If the OP can't get another itinerary that doesn't involve an overnight I'd probably pick ATL since airport concessions might stay open later. Just find a relatively quite part of the terminal, put on a hoodie (because airports get freezing in the middle of the night) and settle down for a long few hours. My concern would be getting a shower as the AC has no facilities. Not sure about private lounges at ATL.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:42 am

I was going to say that TPA has a landside Marriott hotel IN the airport. But you've ruled that out.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
It is completely possible to get earlier departure that arrives at destination by ~midnight with connection in either of these cities, or a 6am departure with a connection that would get you to destination by ~noon, for roughly the same flight cost, or less if you were planning on paying for any hotel or minute suites, etc. Why are you looking to overnight in these airports?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this thread has quickly devolved into facilities at/near the airports, and not so much about AA, I'll move this thread to the US-->South forum, where discussions like this belong.

Thank you.

/moderator
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
That sounds like (1) a while ago, (2) circumstances where you could have been mistaken for a vagrant, and (3) maybe bad luck.

Throughout history, inns have been places of respite for travelers, not just for those who spend the night. I suggested purchasing at least something. I disagree with the idea that only those who have booked a room can enjoy a hotel's lobby; I've hung out in many hotel lobbies for a while before or after going to the hotel's restaurant or bar... here we're talking about using the hotel's sundries market instead of its bar, but the distinction is in $ amount, not in principle.

If I were bent on spending 6 hours, midnight to 6 a.m., at an airport-adjacent facility but not in a hotel room, I would at least give an adjacent hotel lobby a shot. Heck, you could even say something to the front desk like: "Hi, I was hoping to buy a few things from your market/pantry and get some work done before I leave for my flight at 4 a.m., would you mind if I work at that table over there?" What I wouldn't do, of course, is something dumb like ask for a manager or make yourself an imposition on the third-shift staff. I also wouldn't plan on sleeping or even appearing to sleep in the hotel lobby; after all, sleep is a thing they sell.

If you're convinced that you'll still be mistaken for a vagrant and expelled then perhaps your best itinerary is to find whichever airport has a night bus that will let you board and ride around all night for a single fare
I don't think hotel staff might mistake any traveler for a vagrant but they do have rules. At the Hyatt inside MCO, you can easily take the escalator up to their very spacious lobby (right behind the TSA checkpoint) and have a few drinks/snacks in the bar, but they run every one out after the bar closes unless you are a hotel guest. It is private property after all.
platbrownguy and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I'm looking at a bunch of itineraries that will give me a connection at either of these three airports from about midnight to about 6 AM. As a BAEC Gold/OWE, what are my options airside at that time? Any places to charge my phone? I'm guessing the AC probably closes before midnight and won't reopen until 6 AM or so?
ATL is a 24 hr airport so you might have a few places open. Maybe steal a cot.

thr other two airports are smaller. At BNA you might have some stuff open later because bna gets 2am arriving flights.

I don’t expect anything at tampa

you will find plugs around the airport in gate areas.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by djp98374
ATL is a 24 hr airport so you might have a few places open. Maybe steal a cot.

thr other two airports are smaller. At BNA you might have some stuff open later because bna gets 2am arriving flights.

I don’t expect anything at tampa

you will find plugs around the airport in gate areas.
You've been around BNA and TPA? Lots of sockets airside?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Based on what you are saying, do ATL and the Minute suites. 3 hours for $76 (1 free, then 2 at $38). Add in the time to get there and your gate and breakfast (or centurion club if you have AmEx plat), and you are essentially close to the 6 hours.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Yes both of those airports have plenty of sockets, however, what you should know is whether you will be allowed to stay in the sterile area if you have a BP for the next morning. Some airports allow you to do so, some like BOS force you out. And increasingly some airports are allowing "non flyers" to sleep overnight in the non sterile areas. Maybe others can give advice on which of these 3 airports allow you to stay in the sterile area overnight.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
BNA I’ve gone in and thru quite a bit. My brother has lived in nashville for the last 30 years. I have done at least 1 flight therr over the years ( usually more) and others I’ve connected thru it.

Because the airport is a hub for southwest, the southwest part of the airport might be better designed and have things open later like right after you land around midnight and things open pre flight at 430am.

most airports allow people to stay inside security with these long layover flights. It is generally allowed in places where it’s common booking practice. Since southwest doesn’t do red eyes many do split bookings of arriving late after midnight then connecting on a pre 8am flight. It’s also allowed during weather delays with missed/ cancelled flights.

therr are those areas in boarding where you have plug areas that are like desks or bars. They also are in food court areas.

I’ve only done tampa a few times but it’s been awhile since last time I flew to/ thru
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by djp98374
Because the airport is a hub for southwest, the southwest part of the airport might be better designed and have things open later like right after you land around midnight and things open pre flight at 430am.
I'm BNA based and when I've arrived later than 10ish, everything is closed in the WN/AA concourse.
most airports allow people to stay inside security with these long layover flights. It is generally allowed in places where it’s common booking practice. Since southwest doesn’t do red eyes many do split bookings of arriving late after midnight then connecting on a pre 8am flight. It’s also allowed during weather delays with missed/ cancelled flights.
WN piloted a program last year where you could book overnight connections, but it was explicitly limited to airports where the airside is open. BNA was excluded from the list, which I assume to mean that BNA airside closes overnight.
lsquare and funnyfarm299 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.