Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

What to do at ATL, TPA, BNA from midnight to about 6 AM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I'm looking at a bunch of itineraries that will give me a connection at either of these three airports from about midnight to about 6 AM. As a BAEC Gold/OWE, what are my options airside at that time? Any places to charge my phone? I'm guessing the AC probably closes before midnight and won't reopen until 6 AM or so?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The only thing your BA status will get you is access to the Admirals Clubs at each airport the next day. So you can access the AC's from about 4-5:30am or so depending on exactly when they open.

There are Minute Suites at ATL open 24 hrs if you have Priority Pass. PP gets you 1 free hour then it's $34 for each additional hour.

Outside of that you're going to be just sitting in the terminal/gate/ticketing area. I would assume so at ATL, but no idea if the airside area is open 24 hrs at TPA or BNA.

At that hour I'm sure you can find some random plugs throughout the terminal to use, but whether they're close to a bench or if you'll be sitting on the floor while you charge your devices is anyone's guess.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The only thing your BA status will get you is access to the Admirals Clubs at each airport the next day. So you can access the AC's from about 4-5:30am or so depending on exactly when they open.

There are Minute Suites at ATL open 24 hrs if you have Priority Pass. PP gets you 1 free hour then it's $34 for each additional hour.

Outside of that you're going to be just sitting in the terminal/gate/ticketing area. I would assume so at ATL, but no idea if the airside area is open 24 hrs at TPA or BNA.

At that hour I'm sure you can find some random plugs throughout the terminal to use, but whether they're close to a bench or if you'll be sitting on the floor while you charge your devices is anyone's guess.
Yes, I do!

Really hoping to find someone with extensive experience at TPA and BNA. I've been to ATL a few times, but was flying with DL and never had to stay overnight.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lsquare
Yes, I do!

Really hoping to find someone with extensive experience at TPA and BNA. I've been to ATL a few times, but was flying with DL and never had to stay overnight.
What kind of experience are you looking for? There really isn't going to be anything to do in either, this isn't SIN or DXB. Even most major airports in the US are going to be completely dead and mostly closed up overnight.

I would check out the below, looks like BNA airside isn't open 24 hours so you'll be on a bench in the ticketing/check-in area. Not sure about TPA but it says there's a landside Starbucks open 24 hrs.

sleepinginairports.net
lsquare, lrdpenn, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What kind of experience are you looking for? There really isn't going to be anything to do in either, this isn't SIN or DXB. Even most major airports in the US are going to be completely dead and mostly closed up overnight.

I would check out the below, looks like BNA airside isn't open 24 hours so you'll be on a bench in the ticketing/check-in area. Not sure about TPA but it says there's a landside Starbucks open 24 hrs.

sleepinginairports.net
😆😂🤣

That's a good one!

Um, I often have a hard time finding an outlet near a bench landside. It seems to be less of an issue airside. I've overnighted at DEN and LAX airside recently. Yes, they were dead and it's not SIN-like, but there were outlets near a sitting area!
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Um, I often have a hard time finding an outlet near a bench landside.
I solve that problem with a small battery pack in my carry-on, combined with a short multi-prong cable so I can charge Lighting, USB-C and micro USB devices as needed.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
If you are connecting at BNA, the AC closes well before MN. Allegedly after 2/26 the new airport Hilton opens but it is landslide and easily walkable across to the terminal.
Hope this helps.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
If you are connecting at BNA, the AC closes well before MN. Allegedly after 2/26 the new airport Hilton opens but it is landslide and easily walkable across to the terminal.
Hope this helps.
Great idea, but spending $200+ for 6 hours doesn't make a lot of sense to me…
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
I wonder if the airside/landside trains at TPA even operate after midnight if there are no inbound flights arriving.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Great idea, but spending $200+ for 6 hours doesn't make a lot of sense to me…
I've never felt guilty hanging out in a hotel lobby at odd hours sitting in a comfortable armchair, plugged into an outlet, and on the (usually free in the lobby) hotel wifi. Buy some snacks and beverages at the hotel's gift shop or sundries market (or vending machine -- usually there is something available 24/7 at an airport-attached Hilton) and you have no reason to feel out of place either.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:36 pm

Before COVID I would have recommended a trip from ATL to the Dwarf House in Hapeville, where the Chick-Fil-A was invented. Alas, it's no longer open 24 hours, though was always closed on Sundays. And, the recent remodeling completely destroyed the original karma.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
I'd get an Uber and go into Midtown and hit up the Atlanta institution of the Claremont Lounge (no really, it's quite fun) and then maybe head to a 24 hour diner somewhere else in town, before heading back to the airport. I also think there's a 24/7 Mexican place called Mama's in Piedmont Heights that is not the best thing ever, but it'll be better than airport fare IMHO.
lsquare, gooselee and joeyE like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by northinsouth
I'd get an Uber and go into Midtown and hit up the Atlanta institution of the Claremont Lounge (no really, it's quite fun) and then maybe head to a 24 hour diner somewhere else in town, before heading back to the airport. I also think there's a 24/7 Mexican place called Mama's in Piedmont Heights that is not the best thing ever, but it'll be better than airport fare IMHO.
LOL

Somehow I don't think that OP, unwilling to pay for a hotel room for the short layover, will desire to pay the cab fare or the, ahem, various costs associated with your itinerary.

I personally just avoid these kinds of itineraries. I had a 7.5-hour layover at EWR the other day and it was just barely enough time to get 5.5 hours of sleep at the EWR Marriott (even with an uber to the hotel rather than waiting on a shuttle). I find it worthwhile to pay the $200+ for that, but if it were a 6-hour layover (with 4 hours of sleep) I'd probably just go to a Waffle House or a hotel lobby. But that's all hypothetical because, like I said, I avoid.
JJeffrey, lsquare, AJNEDC and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:39 pm

Potentially off-topic - This is an odd group of airports for AA connections. None of them are AA hubs.
Are you looking at a bunch of AA Advantage US domestic coach awards?

Pick the routing with the most daily flights. That way you can use free same day standby to fly out earlier and skip the overnight wait.
Same-day travel – Plan travel – American Airlines (aa.com)
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Not everyone is inclined to and/or has the budget to spend $200 for a few hours rest.

Also I don’t know how one can stay all night in a hotel lobby quiet or otherwise if they have no business being there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.