Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

What to do at ATL, TPA, BNA from midnight to about 6 AM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do at ATL, TPA, BNA from midnight to about 6 AM?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I've never felt guilty hanging out in a hotel lobby at odd hours sitting in a comfortable armchair, plugged into an outlet, and on the (usually free in the lobby) hotel wifi. Buy some snacks and beverages at the hotel's gift shop or sundries market (or vending machine -- usually there is something available 24/7 at an airport-attached Hilton) and you have no reason to feel out of place either.
Shortly after graduating from university, I spent some time backpacking around the Midwest and the Northeast. I missed the last train from Providence back to Boston. So I had this idea of hanging out at a Marriott (forgot which one now) until the first train in the morning. I was asked to leave when security realized I was not a guest.

LOL

Somehow I don't think that OP, unwilling to pay for a hotel room for the short layover, will desire to pay the cab fare or the, ahem, various costs associated with your itinerary.

I personally just avoid these kinds of itineraries. I had a 7.5-hour layover at EWR the other day and it was just barely enough time to get 5.5 hours of sleep at the EWR Marriott (even with an uber to the hotel rather than waiting on a shuttle). I find it worthwhile to pay the $200+ for that, but if it were a 6-hour layover (with 4 hours of sleep) I'd probably just go to a Waffle House or a hotel lobby. But that's all hypothetical because, like I said, I avoid.
That's my point. I ain't going to get anywhere close to 6 hours of sleep so it feels like I'm throwing money away.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Not everyone is inclined to and/or has the budget to spend $200 for a few hours rest.

Also I don’t know how one can stay all night in a hotel lobby quiet or otherwise if they have no business being there.
Spending $200 for a 10+ hour stay is one thing and can be justified, but four hours or so, I just can’t.

Last edited by lsquare; Feb 14, 2024 at 2:51 pm
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
LOL

Somehow I don't think that OP, unwilling to pay for a hotel room for the short layover, will desire to pay the cab fare or the, ahem, various costs associated with your itinerary.
Fair enough.

But you do have to admit it is kind of an Atlanta institution. I met my first wife there (not a joke, and no, she was not an employee)
pbiflyer, lsquare and gooselee like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If you can get a Marriott best rate guarantee approved at an airport hotel, you could get a lower rate, and 5,000 bonvoy points in lieu of the 25% off, + 1,000 points from the current promo, + whatever the normal number of points would have been that you could have earned from the stay. I have several airport hotel reservations coming up where I did this and I'm earning 7,000 points on my ~$100 stay, this makes the stays which might only be for a few hours easier to justify to myself.
lsquare and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
There’s a connected Marriott at TPA.

I would definitely trade $200 for 4-6 hours of comfort. Absolutely no decent areas to rest in TPA otherwise. Unless you’re a broke college student, factor hotel costs into the equation or pick another flight.

Your back will thank you.
ksucats, wrp96 and AJNEDC like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 6P&E
I wonder if the airside/landside trains at TPA even operate after midnight if there are no inbound flights arriving.
I *think* so. I have noticed buttons to push to call them to operate on demand when they are not running automatically.

OP, I am pretty sure you can at least stay in the central main terminal area overnight. That is landside but is pretty comfortable with basics like toilets, comfy seats and outlets. What I don't know is if you can stay at the satellite airside terminals overnight. I would guess not.

Should worse come to worst, at least it is (almost always) warm enough to sleep outside here year-round!
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Shortly after graduating from university, I spent some time backpacking around the Midwest and the Northeast. I missed the last train from Providence back to Boston. So I had this idea of hanging out at a Marriott (forgot which one now) until the first train in the morning. I was asked to leave when security realized I was not a guest.
That sounds like (1) a while ago, (2) circumstances where you could have been mistaken for a vagrant, and (3) maybe bad luck.

Throughout history, inns have been places of respite for travelers, not just for those who spend the night. I suggested purchasing at least something. I disagree with the idea that only those who have booked a room can enjoy a hotel's lobby; I've hung out in many hotel lobbies for a while before or after going to the hotel's restaurant or bar... here we're talking about using the hotel's sundries market instead of its bar, but the distinction is in $ amount, not in principle.

If I were bent on spending 6 hours, midnight to 6 a.m., at an airport-adjacent facility but not in a hotel room, I would at least give an adjacent hotel lobby a shot. Heck, you could even say something to the front desk like: "Hi, I was hoping to buy a few things from your market/pantry and get some work done before I leave for my flight at 4 a.m., would you mind if I work at that table over there?" What I wouldn't do, of course, is something dumb like ask for a manager or make yourself an imposition on the third-shift staff. I also wouldn't plan on sleeping or even appearing to sleep in the hotel lobby; after all, sleep is a thing they sell.

If you're convinced that you'll still be mistaken for a vagrant and expelled then perhaps your best itinerary is to find whichever airport has a night bus that will let you board and ride around all night for a single fare
Stewie Mac, lsquare and donotblink like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
OP, don't you have any cc points that you can use to book a hotel nearby?
MAYNARDS99 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
It would be a total waste of points or money for like 4 hours!
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
It sounds like there is no price (in points or $) low enough that OP would value the proposition of booking a hotel room given the short length of the stay. (Presumably if it were $80 instead of $200, OP might think about it -- but OP would probably rather not hire the kind of room $80 gets you near airports these days!)
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It sounds like there is no price (in points or $) low enough that OP would value the proposition of booking a hotel room given the short length of the stay. (Presumably if it were $80 instead of $200, OP might think about it -- but OP would probably rather not hire the kind of room $80 gets you near airports these days!)
You're rich if you can justify spending $200 at the hotel for 4 hours and don't even get to enjoy the free breakfast from having status.
enviroian and platbrownguy like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:20 pm

Taking ATL off the table. Pick TPA or BNA, make it a longer connection and treat yourself right?
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Taking ATL off the table. Pick TPA or BNA, make it a longer connection and treat yourself right?
It's definitely possible!
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
You're rich if you can justify spending $200 at the hotel for 4 hours and don't even get to enjoy the free breakfast from having status.
Well, either (1) rich, (2) rich in other people's money, or (3) overworked, sleep-deprived, and in desperate need of a few hours of quiet rest before getting back on the road too early the next day.

Option (3) applies to me every time I stay at the stupid Embassy Suites by PWM before taking the 5:25 a.m. flight to DCA.

Regardless, let us know what you end up doing! Pics of the hashbrowns from Waffle House or it didn't happen
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:29 pm

The honky tonks are only about a 10 minute, $20 Uber ride from BNA. Definitely open during the hours in question.
lsquare and Adelphos like this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The op might also consider the hotel tonight app, or Hotwire/priceline and booking an opaque rate hotel. Sometimes those can been well under $100 for airport hotels.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.