Wiki Posts
Search

Alligator Alley tolls?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Alligator Alley tolls?

Will be driving across Alligator Alley maybe multiple times next weekend. Wanting to avoid car rental toll transponder sometimes crazy fees, can I jut pay cash for the tolls? I see various answers online ranging from "no" to "exact change in coins only" to "sure" so maybe FTer who actually knows could let me know? TIA!
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Will be driving across Alligator Alley maybe multiple times next weekend. Wanting to avoid car rental toll transponder sometimes crazy fees, can I jut pay cash for the tolls? I see various answers online ranging from "no" to "exact change in coins only" to "sure" so maybe FTer who actually knows could let me know? TIA!
Are you located in the USA? If so then just buy a SunPass and use it for the rental car.

https://floridasturnpike.com/tolls/rental-vehicles/

This shows that Alligator Alley has toll booths. https://www.visitflorida.com/more/fa...20is%20charged.

The issue may be that once you leave Alligator Alley some of the roads are toll and do not have booths. This might be the case on the Miami side. On the Naples side I thinks it pretty farther north in the Tampa area where there are toll roads without booths.
MojaveFlyer and smf_ltn like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Ah, I should have looked on Google street view! They actually have photos of the eastbound toll plaza, showing lanes that say they make change
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:03 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
The issue may be that once you leave Alligator Alley some of the roads are toll and do not have booths. This might be the case on the Miami side.
There are some toll roads on the Miami side but they are easily avoidable. Take I-595 for Fort Lauderdale, or I-75 and the Palmetto for Miami. Avoid Florida's Turnpike, the Sawgrass, and the Dolphin.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:28 pm

Considering your home base is BOS, you probably have an E-ZPass. Might I suggest taking it with you? They're accepted in Florida now and the tolls are cheaper than the cash rate.
Rare likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
Considering your home base is BOS, you probably have an E-ZPass. Might I suggest taking it with you? They're accepted in Florida now and the tolls are cheaper than the cash rate.
Thanks, I didn't think of bringing my EZ Pass. But to close the loop on my specific question, yes, you can pay by cash to cross Alligator Alley.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Allegator Alley (RT 75) does take cash. Most other toll roads in FL are either transponder or bill by plate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.