Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ida Disruptions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2021, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Levee breaches being reported in Belle Chasse, Braithwhite and Plaquemine
Terrible news for the residents down there, but, unfortunately, it’s not surprising. I just hope that the people evacuated early. Seems like it was overtopping of the Braithwaite levee as opposed to a breach. Probably have to wait until tomorrow to get clarification.

Wind and rain in the Metro is still pretty fierce with power outages very widespread here. Damage to buildings in the FQ. About 600,000 without power. Updated the rain totals in post #37.

edit: 22 barges have broken loose in the River:

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...c-5ba81e50a951

Last edited by FLYMSY; Aug 29, 2021 at 6:11 pm
Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
That was a big change in rain totals in 3 hours.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
All of Orleans Parish is without power
Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
That was a big change in rain totals in 3 hours.
Over 5.25 now

All of Orleans Parish is without power
And, almost all of Jefferson Parish.

edit: Entergy says there was catastrophic damage and that’s why Orleans doesn’t have power.
And, over 750,00 without power statewide.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Aug 29, 2021 at 6:54 pm
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Hospitals taking an absolute beating in Orleans and Jefferson parish.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

I-10 East in Metairie is under water

Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I-10 East in Metairie is under water
NWS declares a Flash Flood Emergency for south shore, including I-10 from Laplace to New Orleans East, plus I310, I-510, I-610.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Thankfully, all of the friends that stayed in town are reporting that they’re OK and that their roofs are holding. I’ve shifted from being worried about my freezer to being worried about my roof and my windows. 😬
pbiflyer, wrp96 and ysolde like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Thankfully, all of the friends that stayed in town are reporting that they’re OK and that their roofs are holding. I’ve shifted from being worried about my freezer to being worried about my roof and my windows. 😬
Where in Nola are you? Have friends riding it out in Metarie that I haven't heard from since 2:00
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Where in Nola are you? Have friends riding it out in Metarie that I haven't heard from since 2:00
I’m evacuated to Montgomery but have been talking with friends in NOLA (Uptown, Mid-CIty, and Marigny), Kenner, Metairie, and Slidell. Have texted with all of them in the last couple hours. No one has power, but they all have roofs and intact windows. The Kenner gang is the most rattled (roof leaks, aluminum chimney blew off) and they have no water, but they’re OK.
pbiflyer, wrp96, ysolde and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I’m evacuated to Montgomery but have been talking with friends in NOLA (Uptown, Mid-CIty, and Marigny), Kenner, Metairie, and Slidell. Have texted with all of them in the last couple hours. No one has power, but they all have roofs and intact windows. The Kenner gang is the most rattled (roof leaks, aluminum chimney blew off) and they have no water, but they’re OK.
Glad to hear. Camp on Blood River getting the eye right now. Not gonna be pretty come morning
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Levee breach at Hwy 23 in Alliance per NWS New Orleans
Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Wow, that’s going to be ground zero on a potential cat 5. Hope they stay safe.

ETA: is one of them named Hank? A friend of a friend posted they are riding it out in Houma. Says currently 30 mph winds there.
Not Hank. It got as bad as it was going to be in Lockport and nearly as bad in Houma. Lots of damage, lots of houses missing roofs. Waiting to hear back from them this morning. Gonna be a real struggle to get things up and running again. LaPlace is ruined from what I hear. 6-8+ ft of water.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
That’s sad. I’ve always wanted to stop in at La Place. Yeah that sounds strange, but I used to drive between New Orleans and Baton Rouge or Jackson all the time. It always looked interesting, seemed like throw back Louisiana.

My friends checked in this morning. Light damage at their places in Marigny and Lower Garden District. Obviously no power. Still breezy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.