Hurricane Ida Disruptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador

Current disruptions from Ida, I'll keep this updated as things close/reopen.

Important Information:
Airport Closures
  • MSY: All Wednesday (9/1) flights cancelled
  • BTR flights have resumed
  • JAN flights have resumed

Travel AdvisoriesRoad Closures/Reroutings

Last edited by wakesetter93; Sep 1, 2021 at 8:32 am
Old Aug 27, 2021, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Hoping for the best. Have friends that just moved back in their houses after last years hurricanes.
Good luck to your friends. Hope they fare better this year.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GfL
We are staying put (for now) but my task this morning is to fill up the car’s gas tank, in an abundance of caution. This morning’s cone graphic has shifted the “H” to an “M” for when Ida makes landfall. Ack.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by travelmad478
We are staying put (for now) but my task this morning is to fill up the car’s gas tank, in an abundance of caution. This morning’s cone graphic has shifted the “H” to an “M” for when Ida makes landfall. Ack.
Yup, unfortunately - last predictions indicate 120 mph winds at landfall: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33523509-post213.html

David
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:34 pm

Prediction is up to 140 mph at landfall now, higher than Katrina. Katrina was the only hurricane that I ever evacuated for and I’ve experienced a lot of them here. Not evacuating this time, unless the models have a drastic change by tomorrow evening. Of course, what neighborhood people live in, should probably be a big consideration at this point.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Prediction is up to 140 mph at landfall now, higher than Katrina. Katrina was the only hurricane that I ever evacuated for and I’ve experienced a lot of them here. Not evacuating this time, unless the models have a drastic change by tomorrow evening. Of course, what neighborhood people live in, should probably be a big consideration at this point.
Not sure where you're located, but more evacuations are coming in the next couple of hours. NO mayor has a press conference at 5:30.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:51 pm

Not sure where you're located, but more evacuations are coming in the next couple of hours. NO mayor has a press conference at 5:30.
At this point, because of where we live, I’m not too concerned. We live on the East Bank, very near the River. (Thanks to my Dad’s sage advice from many, many years ago.) We only had very minor cosmetic damage from Katrina, less than $2k. Downside was we didn’t have electricity for a month.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Current disruptions from Ida, I'll keep this updated as things close/reopen.

Mandatory Evacuations:
  • Lafourche Parish starting 5AM 8/28
  • Terrebonne Parish starting 6AM 8/28
  • Orleans Parish (Partial)
    • All areas outside of the Levee System
  • Jefferson Parish (Partial)
    • Jean Lafitte
    • Lower Lafitte
    • Crown Point
    • Grand Isle
    • Barataria
  • Plaquemines Parish (Partial)
    • Entire East Bank
    • West Bank from Phillips 66 Refinery to Venice
  • St. Charles Parish (Partial)
    • Bayou Gauche Island
    • Kerry's Point
    • Cajun Paradise
    • Lower Des Allemands

Airport Closures
  • None

Travel AdvisoriesRoad Closures/Reroutings
  • US 61 to I-310 Ramp has been closed
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.

Last edited by wakesetter93; Aug 28, 2021 at 11:58 am
Old Aug 27, 2021, 4:01 pm

…more evacuations are coming in the next couple of hours. NO mayor has a press conference at 5:30.
Ugh, I wonder what insane hour of the morning we’re going to need to get on the road tomorrow if there’s a mandatory evacuation of the city.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Ugh, I wonder what insane hour of the morning we’re going to need to get on the road tomorrow if there’s a mandatory evacuation of the city.
Would recommend tonight if you can swing it. I would get way ahead of this.

My folks are on an early flight out tomorrow and the rest of the family is driving to Houston.
wrp96 and Tasha Sumner like this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 4:12 pm

Depends on:

1. If the Hurricane track stays the same as currently shown.
2. Your neighborhood.
3. Where you decide to evacuate.

I’ve had some people call me to ask about places they were thinking of going - Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Jackson, MS, Memphis, etc. My answer was no, no, no, no.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Would recommend tonight if you can swing it. I would get way ahead of this.
We can’t really. I’m not worried about being caught in any storm tomorrow, just don’t want to have my 5-hour drive turn into a 7-hour drive.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 4:43 pm

Everyone has to make their own decision based on their level of comfort or discomfort. The weather people on the local news stations are saying this will not be a Katrina-like flood surge event. PHEW! I’d say that if you are really nervous about this, then do yourself a favor and evacuate as soon as you can. However, if for example, you live in the “sliver by the river “, I probably wouldn’t.

Mayor Cantrell just announced that she can’t order a mandatory evacuation because “there isn’t enough time to do contraflow.” She said “wherever you are now, hunker down.”

Point of information: for Katrina, we went to Memphis. A normal 5-6 hour drive turned into a 12 hour drive. (Edit: that was with contraflow implemented)

Whatever anyone decides, best of luck to you.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Aug 27, 2021 at 5:51 pm
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Terrebonne Parish has been upgraded to a mandatory evacuation beginning at 6AM tomorrow (8/28)
Old Aug 27, 2021, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Stay safe everyone! Let us know you are okay when you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.