Hurricane Ida Disruptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ida Disruptions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I evac'ed to Jackson (for now anyway). Still in the path but TS strength expected here. Leaving at 9 pm, there was no traffic at all. Good luck to those driving out Saturday.

Nothing would make me happier than to be kicking myself Tuesday that the storm had minimal impact and I evac'ed for nothing.

Watching the press conference before I left, the Mayor seemed to be saying that everyone should leave, but she couldn't order the mandatory for fear some would get stuck still on the roads when it hit. But then the homeland security guy followed her, and said "inside the levees, you're safe. shelter in place".

Last edited by swag; Aug 28, 2021 at 12:19 am
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by swag
I evac'ed to Jackson (for now anyway). Still in the path but TS strength expected here. Leaving at 9 pm, no traffic at all. Good luck to those driving out Saturday.

Nothing would make me happier than to be kicking myself Tuesday that the storm had minimal impact and I evac'ed for nothing.

Watching the press conference before I left, the Mayor seemed to be saying that everyone should leave, but she couldn't order the mandatory for fear some would get stuck still on the roads when it hit. But then the homeland security guy followed her, and said "inside the levees, you're safe. shelter in place".
Glad to hear you got out. It's looking like Morgan City and BTR are gonna get the brunt of it, but each shift in the track changes things. Next update coming at 4AM CT
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Stay safe, everyone, and please let us know how we can help! We are thinking of you.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
UA already cancelling flights into NOLA for Sunday/Monday. Expecting more to follow.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 4:28 am

Here are a few articles I think are helpful regarding evacuation and what to expect with regards to various parishes.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/weathe...a-8ab802fdf373

https://www.wwltv.com/article/weathe...a-6d7ee0bfacc4

https://www.wwltv.com/article/weathe...d-8aa1f30a3b11
Old Aug 28, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: Free agent
I trust the levees as much as I trust the local government. Zero confidence. Stay safe everyone. My folks got out on the early FLL departure and now my extended family in Terrebonne are joining my close family in Houston at my uncle's. Gonna be a big fish fry tonight over there.

Folks are sitting waiting for MSY-FLL. Delay is currently 3.5 hours, doubt it'll go.

Last edited by MSYtoJFKagain; Aug 28, 2021 at 5:57 am Reason: Update
Old Aug 28, 2021, 6:53 am

I’ll agree about not trusting the “newer” levees in the GNO Metro area, i.e., 17th St. Canal, London Ave. Canal, etc. However, I do trust the Mississippi River levee, especially with this storm. Actually, I have to trust it since I live only one and a half blocks from it.

Watching the latest updates now and traffic is backing up both on I-10 East & West. West bound traffic is backed up in Kenner and Baton Rouge. East bound traffic is backed up in the Gentilly area and Slidell. They are recommending that you don’t evacuate to Baton Rouge or points north. If you want to evacuate to the west, go to Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc. If you want to evacuate to the east, go to Montgomery, Atlanta, Tallahassee, etc.

I feel pretty comfortable staying, but everyone has to make the best decision for their family. We’re going to get a lot of wind and rain in the Metro area, so go with what your gut tells you.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:32 am

Latest update:
Starting tomorrow evening, 6-10” of rain in the GNO Metro area with sustained winds of 60 mph and gusts of 80-100 mph.

From St Charles Parish west to Lafourche and Terrebone Parishes, 10-15” of rain with winds of 120+ mph.

Bumper to bumper traffic on I-10 in both directions.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
10 AM forecast drops wind estimate to 130. Hopefully that downward trend continues.
ysolde likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I’ll agree about not trusting the “newer” levees in the GNO Metro area, i.e., 17th St. Canal, London Ave. Canal, etc. However, I do trust the Mississippi River levee, especially with this storm. Actually, I have to trust it since I live only one and a half blocks from it.
The thing is, you don't have to trust the levees on the canals, as long as you trust the billion dollar, mammoth concrete floodgates they built at the mouth of each of the canals. As long as those hold, the only water in the canals will be rainwater. And the pump capacity of the floodgates' pumps is something like 5x what the old city pumps (that pump rain from the sewers into the canals) can send their way.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 10:06 am

I’ll trust what I learned from the Bucktown fishermen, who were right about the levees along the 17th St. Canal. The Army Corps of Engineers chose to ignore what the fishermen were saying, when the levees were first proposed, during construction and after completion. We experienced the results of that. I have an engineer friend who worked for the Army Corps on Leake Ave. He was so embarrassed after Katrina about the failures of the Corps, he quit and moved out of NOLA. So, at this point, I don’t have full trust in those billion dollar projects, a little maybe. But, full? No way.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 11:24 am

Watching the noon update. Feel sorry for those evacuating on I-10 East near Chef Menteur - bumper to bumper and it’s raining.
I-10 West at Power Blvd is bumper to bumper, but at least it’s not raining.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 11:54 am
Original Poster

170+ Cancellations at MSY for tomorrow

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wds...leans/37422092
Old Aug 28, 2021, 11:59 am
Original Poster

US 61 (Airline Hwy) to I-310 North ramp has been closed per DOTD
Old Aug 28, 2021, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

St. Charles Parish President Matthew Jewell has now ordered a mandatory evacuation for the entirety of St. Charles Parish.

This order will go into effect Saturday, Aug. 28 at 6 a.m. and residents must leave the parish no later than Saturday at 5 p.m.

St. John Parish will open a parish shelter at 6:00 p.m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.