Search

2020 New Orleans Jazz Fest (cancelled)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:48 am
Original Poster

2020 New Orleans Jazz Fest (cancelled)

Here’s the musician lineup for the 2020 Jazz Fest:

https://www.nojazzfest.com/music/#/

More info and “The Cubes” to follow when released.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
It's the most wonderful time of the year.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
And everyone telling you be of good cheer.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Blumie
Hang on, I thought that was king cake season
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Speculation from the top music writer in New Orleans that the 2020 Jazz Fest will move to a Fall date. With his connections in the music industry, it wouldn’t surprise me that he has some inside info. Plus the co-producer, AEG, has already moved two other music festivals that they co-produce.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...995365fd2.html
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprising that there hasn’t been an announcement yet, but it’s unfathomable that jazzfest will go on as scheduled.

That said, Mosca’s was in full swing last night. Of course all of the patrons either (1) believe all of the garlic will ward off the virus, and/or (2) if they’re going to go down, they might as well get one last plate of oysters Mosca in them first.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
At this point, the choices seem to be between postponing the fest, or canceling outright. If they were going to cancel, they could have done that already. Rescheduling takes more time to work out the basic logistics. So in that sense, the lack of an announcement so far may be good news.

But I expect an announcement soon, early this week. October seems likely. The article explains why September is less than ideal, and November presents other challenges including the start of horse racing season at the festival venue as well as a much earlier sunset.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Jazz Fest postponed until Fall

Dates to be announced later.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/e...4-fae116d87428
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Some artist and musician friends tell me their contracts have been cancelled, and they have not been told whether that means they'll get new ones or that they won't be invited back. Not sure what happens next.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Now both of the big Louisiana events I had on my calendar (and which I already paid for) are rescheduled for unspecified dates in the fall...and I already had plenty of other things on my calendar for fall. I’m hoping that at least Cycle Zydeco will move to September rather than October, but I assume they will want October because September is still too damn hot. I might just miss both of them this year, which stinks, and 2021’s dates will conflict with my wedding, so no 2021 either. Argh. Damn you, COVID-19!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Now both of the big Louisiana events I had on my calendar (and which I already paid for) are rescheduled for unspecified dates in the fall...and I already had plenty of other things on my calendar for fall. I’m hoping that at least Cycle Zydeco will move to September rather than October, but I assume they will want October because September is still too damn hot. I might just miss both of them this year, which stinks, and 2021’s dates will conflict with my wedding, so no 2021 either. Argh. Damn you, COVID-19!
Assuming things are back on track by then, fall here in general and October in particular are going to be crazy busy. Some events will end up in September or November.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by swag
Assuming things are back on track by then, fall here in general and October in particular are going to be crazy busy. Some events will end up in September or November.
Hurricane season?

David
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
Hurricane season?

David
We normally have major events during hurricane season, i.e., Essence Fest, Southern Decadence, Festival Acadien et Créoles, not to mention many professional meetings, just to give a few examples.

Hurricane season runs June 1 to November 30. That would be a long time to not hold any major events. The link below shows the normal festival calendar for Louisiana, although the majority of the TBAs are postponements because of the Coronavirus situation.

https://www.louisiana-destinations.c...vents-2020.htm

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 20, 2020 at 7:57 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

NOLA mayor recommends no large events for 2020!

It’ll be interesting to see how this turns out.

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/04/14/...ovid-response/
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
NOLA mayor recommends no large events for 2020!

It’ll be interesting to see how this turns out.

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/04/14/watch-live-mayor-cantrell-gives-update-citys-covid-response/
I know a lot of people have been frustrated that after it was announced that JazzFest would be postponed until the fall a few weeks ago there have been no further updates, but I suspect that the Foundation, Festival Productions, and AEG are in a state of paralysis, like the rest of the world. Whereas some events, such as French Quarter Fest, were quick to announce new dates, I think people realize now that even those weekends in October may not be realistic. Of course we're all hoping the restrictions will be lifted by then, but will we be ready to gather in large, crowded groups again by then? I don't think any of us really knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.