Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 New Orleans Jazz Fest (cancelled)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie

I know a lot of people have been frustrated that after it was announced that JazzFest would be postponed until the fall a few weeks ago there have been no further updates, but I suspect that the Foundation, Festival Productions, and AEG are in a state of paralysis, like the rest of the world. Whereas some events, such as French Quarter Fest, were quick to announce new dates, I think people realize now that even those weekends in October may not be realistic. Of course we're all hoping the restrictions will be lifted by then, but will we be ready to gather in large, crowded groups again by then? I don't think any of us really knows.
That’s a very pertinent question that you asked at the end of your post. I know that I won’t be jumping on a plane immediately after the skies open, nor, will I be attending any large, crowded events, etc. for awhile. My background in the biological sciences wouldn’t let me. I’ll take some time to let the “dust” settle”, so to speak.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Essence Fest is cancelled.

Well, that didn’t take long.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/h...b-8c30845587ad
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

2020 Jazz Fest is officially canceled.

https://www.nojazzfest.com

edit to add: Even the 2020 Montreux Jazz Festival has been canceled. Slightly older than the New Orleans Fest, but the first cancellation for both. AEG is a producer of both festivals.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Apr 17, 2020 at 1:59 pm
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm sad, but not surprised.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
2020 Jazz Fest is officially cancelled.

https://www.nojazzfest.com
Unfortunately, the website name says it all.

David
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Sigh. I won’t even be able to go next year, most likely (unless we stay home and make Jazz Fest our honeymoon). Donated my Brass Pass value to WWOZ.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
sad

very sad!
I was there in January and could feel the anticipation.
Folk Alliance International (FAI) chose those dates so they did not conflict with Mardi Gras and NO Jazz. Ironically, some of the best live performances were by jazz musicians e.g. Mavis Staples.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
That’s a very pertinent question that you asked at the end of your post. I know that I won’t be jumping on a plane immediately after the skies open, nor, will I be attending any large, crowded events, etc. for awhile. My background in the biological sciences wouldn’t let me. I’ll take some time to let the “dust” settle”, so to speak.
I have to re-up my krewe dues for next year's Mardi Gras parade by mid May for the discount. February is a long way away, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Is anyone “Jazz Festing in Place”? Local radio station WWOZ has been playing sets from past Jazz Fests on the days that the Fest would have been held. I’ve listened to some great music during the last couple of days. Here’s the schedule for this Sunday. You’ll have to check OZ’s website for next Thursday - Sunday’s schedule.

https://www.wwoz.org/calendar/live-broadcast

It’s not the same as being at the Fest, but, hopefully, it’ll bring back some good memories. Happy Festing in Place!
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Is anyone “Jazz Festing in Place”? Local radio station WWOZ has been playing sets from past Jazz Fests on the days that the Fest would have been held. I’ve listened to some great music during the last couple of days. Here’s the schedule for this Sunday. You’ll have to check OZ’s website for next Thursday - Sunday’s schedule.

https://www.wwoz.org/calendar/live-broadcast

It’s not the same as being at the Fest, but, hopefully, it’ll bring back some good memories. Happy Festing in Place!
I’ve listened to all three days so far. It’s been a great Fest. Yes, it’s not the same as being there, but no FOMO from competing stages and I love being able to Fest in my underwear. Also, I’ve been able to go out for runs during the day and take the Fest with me. Yesterday would’ve been an all time top 10 Fest weather day until the rain came just as Dr. John was hitting the stage.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I’ve listened to all three days so far. It’s been a great Fest. Yes, it’s not the same as being there, but no FOMO from competing stages and I love being able to Fest in my underwear. Also, I’ve been able to go out for runs during the day and take the Fest with me. Yesterday would’ve been an all time top 10 Fest weather day until the rain came just as Dr. John was hitting the stage.

100% agree with you.

I have to admit that I watched a bunch of documentaries on WYES yesterday. They had a “Jazz Celebration” and I watched documentaries on Fats, Gennett Records, and Allen Toussaint. I learned a lot, but one of the most interesting things, IMHO, dealt with “Naomi Neville“. Google her, if you’re inclined.

https://www.wyes.org/tv/#page=schedu...ider=Broadcast

I wish they were going to run some of these next weekend also.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Radio turned to WWOZ, Jazzfest flag flying, and getting Jazzfest food to eat (from vendors with restaurants doing takeout) each day.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Listened to all four days this past weekend (although not every hour of every day!) I am too fat from endless quarantine baking to get a takeout softshell crab po-boy, but that is what I would be getting if I were not already 5 lbs overweight. I will be out tonight, but if I were home, I’d be listening to Piano Night on WWOZ.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by swag
Radio turned to WWOZ, Jazzfest flag flying, and getting Jazzfest food to eat (from vendors with restaurants doing takeout) each day.
what food have you gotten?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what food have you gotten?
Thursday - Mrs Wheat's Meat Pie (available at Brothers Food Marts)
Friday - Jazz Fest Cuban (Canseco's supermarket)
Saturday - Falafel wrap, and Gyros wrap (Mona's)
Sunday - Jama Jama/spinach and Poulet Fricasee/chicken on a stick (Bennachin)

For second weekend, I'm considering the popups at Mahoney's and at Pythian, Ajun Cajun, Jamila's, and maybe a drive out to Harbor Seafood and/or Vucinovich's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.