Wiki Posts
Search

Beach day while visiting Disney

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
Beach day while visiting Disney

Last year when we visited Disney World we took a day in the middle of the week to drive to Cocoa Beach and spent a day there relaxing (although this is when all the seaweed had come in, so it was an interesting experience lol). We're heading back next year again and I would like to do something similar, breaking up the park days with a trip to the beach, so I was wondering if you all had suggestions on where to go this time? I'm not against going back to Cocoa Beach, but with all the different places FL has to offer on either coast, I feel like it would be best to try somewhere new.

I think I'd prefer to keep it within 100 miles, so that it is an easy drive there and back the same day
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I like St. Augustine myself. It's honestly pretty nice these days.
United16 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Clearwater Beach is just at the 100 mile mark. It will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours one way. St Pete Beach/Ft Desoto are in that range also.

Both these options have lots of places to eat and things to do.

You say you went to Cocoa Beach. Have you also been to Kennedy Space Center?
United16 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Clearwater Beach is just at the 100 mile mark. It will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours one way. St Pete Beach/Ft Desoto are in that range also.

Both these options have lots of places to eat and things to do.

You say you went to Cocoa Beach. Have you also been to Kennedy Space Center?
I suggested the Space Center last time, but the rest of the family didn't seem interested in it
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by United16
I suggested the Space Center last time, but the rest of the family didn't seem interested in it
I took an 11 y/o and a 16 y/o there this summer. They didn't really seem interested before we went but had a good time once there. Honestly it's a good day. Lots to see and do, interactive exhibits. Might be worth considering an overnights stay and the local beach then a day at Kennedy.
United16 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd vote for the Space Center.

I was also fascinated by Gatorland. It's a zoo for alligators and crocs, a bit touristic, but I was fascinated by the sheer numbers and sizes of these beasts as well as the feeding and the little juveniles.

There are also some nice canal boat tours near Orlando, although some kids will be bored.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:34 am

I second the recommendation for Clearwater beach - one of the nicest beaches I've been too - very wide with beautiful white sand. We did this as a day trip from Orlando on a day off from the parks. Gulf coast beaches tend to be calmer, with less jellyfish and seaweed than Atlantic coast.

On your way back to Orlando stop in Tampa for some dinner.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Clearwater and st Pete are good options
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:39 pm

Playalinda Beach at Canaveral National Seashore. A straight shot from Orlando on FL-528 (The Beachline). Takes a little over an hour.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended

I know it’s just over you limit but Anna Maria Island is 109 miles from WDW.

And it it is the world class beach on that side of Florida.
United16 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StAugustine
Playalinda Beach at Canaveral National Seashore. A straight shot from Orlando on FL-528 (The Beachline). Takes a little over an hour.
A lovely option and one of my favorite beaches in FL (in fact, heading there tomorrow). But people who aren't familiar with the area should know there are NO AMENITIES for miles around so bring in all food / drink / etc. before crossing the bridge from Titusville.

That is what I like about it - it is just a barrier island with no buildings or development whatsoever. (But on the downside, that means no plumbing so only stinky port-a-johns. Poop in Titusville.)

Also check the web for launchings from Cape Canaveral. For safety reasons they close down the whole area for a period of time before and after each launch, which can totally ruin a planned beach day.

But the beach is beautiful and well worth the trip. I'll be at the nude part at the far north (Parking Lot # 1, then turn left on the beach. You will know you are there when you see things you can't unsee).
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Please tell me if this is an insane idea or not....

We are spending New Year's (+/- 3 days) in Orlando with a bunch of friends from all over. On NYE, our plan was to drive out to Tampa/St Pete area to have a nice beach day and watch the sunset as kind of a symbolic closure of the year. It appears that the sun should set into the Gulf at 5:44pm. Shortly thereafter, the plan is to immediately high-tail it back to Orlando so that we don't have to deal with traffic and drunk drivers and celebrate NYE at the hotel. It means we should be back in Orlando by 8pm even some traffic. Crazy or not?

We also have different friends staying near Madeira Beach at that time, so that's probably where we'll spend the day.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Please tell me if this is an insane idea or not....

We are spending New Year's (+/- 3 days) in Orlando with a bunch of friends from all over. On NYE, our plan was to drive out to Tampa/St Pete area to have a nice beach day and watch the sunset as kind of a symbolic closure of the year. It appears that the sun should set into the Gulf at 5:44pm. Shortly thereafter, the plan is to immediately high-tail it back to Orlando so that we don't have to deal with traffic and drunk drivers and celebrate NYE at the hotel. It means we should be back in Orlando by 8pm even some traffic. Crazy or not?

We also have different friends staying near Madeira Beach at that time, so that's probably where we'll spend the day.
I doubt you'll be back by 8 pm. With traffic more like 8:30-9 pm. Getting on and off the beach can take extra time, especially on a holiday.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
I doubt you'll be back by 8 pm. With traffic more like 8:30-9 pm. Getting on and off the beach can take extra time, especially on a holiday.
I second that. It would be next to impossible IMO to make it back to Orlando before 8:30 from the beach. If your not too hungover, you might try the first sunrise in Cocoa Beach. I can guarantee you it will be a lot less crowded.
MoreMilesPlease likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
When my sister-in-law visits us in Leesburg with her grandkids, she drives to Pine Island Beach Park. Google maps says 98.5 miles from Orlando, close to 2 hours drive. It has facilities and shallow water which is ideal for small children. there's parking, food, showers and playgrounds. The kids always fall asleep on the way back so they must have a great time there.
SJWarrior likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.