Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

What's New Orleans like the weekend after Mardi Gras?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's New Orleans like the weekend after Mardi Gras?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question What's New Orleans like the weekend after Mardi Gras?

My wife and I and a couple of friends are planning a road trip from Florida that could have us end up in New Orleans the weekend after Mardi Gras next year. That is, Mardi Gras is Feb. 22-26 and we'd be there Feb. 29-March 2 (a Saturday-Monday). We've been to New Orleans several times before and love it, but our visits have been in November. We love the town's liveliness, music, etc., but we're in our 60's, are not hard party-ers any more and would not want to be there during Mardi Gras, as memorable as I'm sure it is.

So, a few questions:

1. How crazy and crowded might the city be that weekend after Mardi Gras? I suspect that it would still be pretty wild, but would be glad to be educated otherwise.
2. Also, if it still is pretty hectic at that time, would we avoid most of that by staying somewhere a bit far from the French Quarter?
3. There's a chance our friends would stay on longer while we fly home. Would things have pretty much calmed down by that Monday (i.e., March 2)?

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:46 pm

NOLA will be much calmer - it’s the start of Lent (lots of Friday night fish frys at churches) and providing a recovery period before the French Quarter Fest and Jazz Fest kickoff.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We've visited (for a trade show) in Feb often - sometimes before Mardi Gras, sometimes right after. Yes, quiet after! You'll still have some tourists (those of us attending trade shows have to eat too ;-) and I love seeing the leftover beads being cleaned up (or in the tops of trees because they can't reach them ;-)
Old May 5, 2019, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The period at the beginning of Mardi Gras can be fun, with some low key events like a parade of dogs in costume.

If you want to go to NOLA around this time of year without all the craziness, consider moving your visit forward by a couple weeks.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the useful feedback and much appreciated feedback, folks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.