Wiki Posts
Search

MIA Connection Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-PLT, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
MIA Connection Advice

We are doing the MEL <- > LAX <-> MIA on Qantas ticket and then doing MIA <-> HAV with Delta. I had couple of questions related to the connection at MIA airport.
  1. We are landing at MIA around 1800 (QF3297) and our next flight is at 2000 (DL513)
    • Would 2 hours be enough to collect the luggage from domestic flight and then check-in for DL513 and make it on time ? I guess ideally I should have kept more time, but this was the last flight I could get.
  2. Also Delta's website says that they give out tourist cards require to enter Havana at the boarding gate itself ? Considering we would be running to board the flight - need to add this time to above estimate as well. Any has experience with this process?

Alternatively, the other option is for us to diss the luggage and just have cabin baggage. That should save at least 30 mins.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
IMO, this is doable, but cutting it close. I'd rather not do this with checked bags and without PreCheck.
Bag delivery times for AA in MIA aren't the fastest. Expect at least 20 minutes, more like 30, from deplaning until you can leave baggage claim with your bags.
Minimum check-in time for Delta in MIA is 45 mins. with or without bags. No idea how strictly this is enforced and if you can do OLCI for the HAV flights.
The AA flight your QF one is a codeshare on usually lands at the E satellite gates which is a train ride or long walk (I'd say about 1.2 km) away from the H gates in the South Terminal where your DL flight will depart.
Miami airport is a zoo more often than not. Security wait times especially on the standard lanes (assuming you don't have PreCheck) can be maddening.

If worst comes to worst and you miss your flight, you'll have to overnight in MIA as the DL flight you booked is the last one of the day going to HAV on any airline. Check hotel pricing... can be very high. I got stuck there once and had to shell out more than $200 for a rather mediocre motel...
Old May 6, 2019, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
IMO, this is doable, but cutting it close. I'd rather not do this with checked bags and without PreCheck.
Bag delivery times for AA in MIA aren't the fastest. Expect at least 20 minutes, more like 30, from deplaning until you can leave baggage claim with your bags.
Minimum check-in time for Delta in MIA is 45 mins. with or without bags. No idea how strictly this is enforced and if you can do OLCI for the HAV flights.
The AA flight your QF one is a codeshare on usually lands at the E satellite gates which is a train ride or long walk (I'd say about 1.2 km) away from the H gates in the South Terminal where your DL flight will depart.
Miami airport is a zoo more often than not. Security wait times especially on the standard lanes (assuming you don't have PreCheck) can be maddening.

If worst comes to worst and you miss your flight, you'll have to overnight in MIA as the DL flight you booked is the last one of the day going to HAV on any airline. Check hotel pricing... can be very high. I got stuck there once and had to shell out more than $200 for a rather mediocre motel...
Thanks. Are there priority lanes for security at MIA ?
I am currently VA Platinum & Qantas Platinum - QF Platinum should get me priority checked in luggage & VA Platinum should help me get into priority security lanes if they are available on MIA airport.

I guess - I will have to convince wifey to only do cabin baggage :-( All other options are way too risky.
It shouldn't be a problem as such for short Havana trip - but we are coming back and spending a week in Miami & florida keys.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Yes, MIA has priority lanes at security. And as OW Emerald you'll definitely have access to that.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bear in mind that "priority lane" does not mean Pre-Check. The former is simply what amounts to perhaps somewhat faster access to the same screening as most passengers. Pre-Check, which processes roughly 6-7 passengers for every passenger in a standard lane, involves expedited and less onerous searches
Old May 7, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rattlerr
QF Platinum should get me priority checked in luggage.
Just a warning about priority luggage at MIA: last time I flew into MIA my priority tagged bags were some of the last to appear on the carousel over an hour after landing. If you are going to try this, you really should go carry on only.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Just a warning about priority luggage at MIA: last time I flew into MIA my priority tagged bags were some of the last to appear on the carousel over an hour after landing. If you are going to try this, you really should go carry on only.
Thanks. That's what we are going for - carry on only & a back up plan if we miss that leg.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If you are in a hurry DO NOT check bags. MIA is the worst of the worst and the Priority Bags rarely come out first. Is this all on one ticket? If not DL would not be obligated to re-accomodate you if you miss that flight. If it's separate tickets 2 hours is risky given the never ending flight banking issues at MIA (particularly in the early evening). Given that's it HAV does the OP actually need to check in with an agent at DL with docs, and what's the cut off if so?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.