Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A few days in New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Ah, I should have mentioned that Acme was chosen by the conference organizers, not my very particular friend. I'm off to dinner there in a few minutes, and I already knew not to have high hopes.

He got us po boys from Magazine for lunch. Mine was shaping up to be tasty but it exceeded my tolerance for messy eating before I could eat enough to be sure.
The conference host arranged a crawfish boil at the Acme, and I thought the crawfish were fine. Didn't eat a lot of my étouffée, which wasn't worth the trouble.

Pęche was excellent for lunch today. Heading to Toups in twenty minutes!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This has been the best thread on FT in a long time!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Blumie
This has been the best thread on FT in a long time!
Agreed. And I, for one, appreciate all the suggestions. We're looking forward to an exciting maiden voyage to NOLA!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:51 am

I appreciate the discussion because it allowed me to enter the “Wayback” machine.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by philemer
I do like jazz guitar and easy-listening jazz. We are products of the 50s and 60s so enjoy music from that era too. Hope this helps.
OK, if you really want to hear some music from the 50's while seated and sipping on some excellent cocktails, I recommend Davenport Lounge at the Ritz Carlton (900 block of Canal). We were there this past Wednesday. It may be much more mainstream when compared to the other recommendations but it was great. Five-piece band including the singer. Old time club type atmosphere.

Live entertainment by Jeremy Davenport is offered on Wednesdays & Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and Fridays & Saturdays from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ajGoes
The conference host arranged a crawfish boil at the Acme, and I thought the crawfish were fine. Didn't eat a lot of my étouffée, which wasn't worth the trouble.

Pęche was excellent for lunch today. Heading to Toups in twenty minutes!
My final New Orleans meal for this visit was at N7. They have a formidable wine list and knowledgeable sommelier. Grilled bok choy was a delicious appetizer, and the duck ŕ l'orange was very good. I'm not a fan of the "can to table" offerings (yes, this is seemingly a real thing). Some of the fancy canned seafood was pretty tasty but I prefer to eat food that's actually cooked at the restaurant.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
OK, if you really want to hear some music from the 50's while seated and sipping on some excellent cocktails, I recommend Davenport Lounge at the Ritz Carlton (900 block of Canal). We were there this past Wednesday. It may be much more mainstream when compared to the other recommendations but it was great. Five-piece band including the singer. Old time club type atmosphere.

Live entertainment by Jeremy Davenport is offered on Wednesdays & Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and Fridays & Saturdays from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Thanks for the tip!!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1

I’ve stayed at the Ritz innumerable times and once tried to suffer through a Jeremy Davenport show. Trust me: go see Meschiya Lake instead.

(In fairness to Jeremy Davenport, he’s hugely popular. Hence his nightly gig at the Ritz.)

Last edited by Blumie; Mar 26, 2018 at 2:55 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
:
In fact, when my Dad was there, the night before the LSU-Tulane game in NOLA, he and some friends stole Mike the Tiger, cage and all, from Ye Olde College Inn’s parking lot.
That would have been Mike I; they're on # VII now.

It would have been extremely unwise to try to steal a 500-lb Bengal Tiger without his cage. Just saying.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Blumie
Trust me: go see Meschiya Lake instead.
I ran into her husband today, and he said they’re moving back to Ireland after Jazz Fest. So, hurry.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jg70124

I ran into her husband today, and he said they’re moving back to Ireland after Jazz Fest. So, hurry.
That’s a huge loss for New Orleans.

I did notice that she’s performing in the Netherlands at a time I’ll be in Amsterdam for a conference. I hope to catch her there.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Confirmed here: Updates ? Meschiya Lake

She will be missed.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: My wife and I had an awesome time in NOLA last month. I just wanted to come back and thank everyone for their suggestions.

Like most trips I plan we end up seeing/doing about 10-15% of the things on my list. The mind is willing but the flesh is weak. Highlights for us, in no particular order, were:

-WWII Museum (note to self: do not do this during Spring Break)
-City bus tour with Cajun Encounters
-Tour of Laura & Oak Alley Plantations
-Frenchmen Street for music
-Bourbon St. for "entertainment"
-Cemetery tour
-Lots of good meals
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Update: My wife and I had an awesome time in NOLA last month. I just wanted to come back and thank everyone for their suggestions.

Like most trips I plan we end up seeing/doing about 10-15% of the things on my list. The mind is willing but the flesh is weak. Highlights for us, in no particular order, were:

-WWII Museum (note to self: do not do this during Spring Break)
-City bus tour with Cajun Encounters
-Tour of Laura & Oak Alley Plantations
-Frenchmen Street for music
-Bourbon St. for "entertainment"
-Cemetery tour
-Lots of good meals
Glad to hear that y’all had a great time. Thanks for coming back to give an update and thank you for coming to visit NOLA.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by jg70124

Wow, that’s a great shame. I love her. I’m moving (half time) to Uptown New Orleans tomorrow and will make as many attempts as possible to see her before the end of Jazz Fest!

The list Blumie put together for the last week of March pretty much meets my musical taste exactly, except for Helen Gillet whom I do not care for At. All. (Saw her at Bacchanal in January.) Bacchanal itself is a great spot though, even if one Uber driver I had recommended it as “Back Channel” Elsewhere in Bywater, I can wholeheartedly recommend Bywater Bakery (excellent food/baked goods and they have music on weekends), Parleaux Beer Lab (microbrewery) and The Joint (BBQ).

I too am really enjoying this thread and getting some good ideas from it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.