Reload this Page >

A few days in New Orleans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A few days in New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:24 am

The more I think about it, ranles, I would still consider the 3 Day Jazzy Pass. It’s $9 for the 3 days ($3/day) for unlimited rides. No worries about having to show I.D. each time you get on a bus/streetcar and not having to worry about having 40˘ exact change. That $3/day is darn cheap, especially when I think about how much I have to pay in Europe for a 24 hour Pass. With the Jazzy Pass, that would be like having the HOHO bus, but a much more extensive network. I’d especially be using it on Magazine St. with all of the interesting shops and restaurants there, plus the Garden District on one side of Magazine and the Irish Channel on the other side.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:30 pm

Walking tour of Garden District is lovely! The company Historic New Orleans Tours does a great job.

Shaya, an Israeli restaurant on Magazine, is amazing. Atmosphere a bit loud, so if that bothers you, you might want to go early.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Bitsy616
Shaya, an Israeli restaurant on Magazine, is amazing. Atmosphere a bit loud, so if that bothers you, you might want to go early.
A reservation at Shaya is essential if you want to go. Even after all of its controversy — the departure of Alon Shaya and the forced resignation of John Beth — it’s extraordinarily difficult to walk in at any hour and be seated without a reservation.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:41 am

Get ready for Alon Shaya’s new restaurant. Kenton’s restaurant is closing (unsurprisingly) and Alon’s new venture is moving into that space.

Alon Shaya's new restaurant takes over Kenton's on Magazine Street | NOLA.com

Saba, I’m sure, will definitely need advance reservations.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:06 am

This is great info, FLYMSY. Thanks!!

Can't wait to try it.

And yes, reservations at Shaya.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Thanks everyone...I am still watching and taking notes.. Anyone know what cross street on Magazine that I would start off at from our hotel to head for the Zoo?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by ranles
Thanks everyone...I am still watching and taking notes.. Anyone know what cross street on Magazine that I would start off at from our hotel to head for the Zoo?
Poydras St.

Stops are two blocks apart. Ask at your hotel as to their recommendation, also. Whichever stop you choose, it will be a short walk from your hotel.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranles
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Poydras St.

Stops are two blocks apart. Ask at your hotel as to their recommendation, also. Whichever stop you choose, it will be a short walk from your hotel.
I rely on Google maps when using the buses in New Orleans. Simply by entering my destination and allowing the app to detect my current location, the app will tell me where to get the bus and what the schedule is. Not surprising New Orleans buses run on a New Orleans schedule, not the published schedule, but still it has worked out pretty well for me.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
I rely on Google maps when using the buses in New Orleans. Simply by entering my destination and allowing the app to detect my current location, the app will tell me where to get the bus and what the schedule is. Not surprising New Orleans buses run on a New Orleans schedule, not the published schedule, but still it has worked out pretty well for me.
Good general advice. However, in this specific instance, I’ll rely on my wife instead - her office is at the corner of Poydras and Magazine streets, just up Poydras from the OP’s hotel.

ranles, your hotel is at the corner of Poydras and Tchoupitoulas. If you’re going to take the Magazine bus to Audubon Park, walk out of the Poydras entrance of the hotel and cross Poydras St. to the opposite side. You’ll now be in front of Mother’s Restaurant. Turn left and walk one long block on Poydras to Magazine St. Cross Magazine and there is the bus stop. It can’t get much easier than that.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:08 pm

OP- if you enjoy coffee/espresso/cappuccino beverages, you may want to hit Spitfire at 627 St. Peter street.

If you're interested in visiting St. Louis Cathedral and/or the 1850 House Museum, they're both close to Spitfire.

The Cathedral is beautiful.

Admission to the 1850 House Museum on St. Ann is only $2 for seniors, and it's an interesting and not too long historical tour. It's a period example of "what one of the residences would have looked like during the Antebellum era when the Baroness Pontalba first opened her doors. Faithfully furnished with domestic goods, decorative arts and art of the period..."
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Good Coffee near Staybridge Suites French Quarter/Downtown

I'll be at the Staybridge Suites "French Quarter/Downtown" (really "Downtown", I think) at Tchoupitoulas and Poydras for a three-day conference next week. I was not overimpressed by the coffee at the nearby Revelator Coffee last year. A few minutes further away I see Pulp and Grind, which has promising Google reviews. I like really good coffee. Can anyone comment on Pulp and Grind or recommend another coffee bar near my hotel?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I'll be at the Staybridge Suites "French Quarter/Downtown" (really "Downtown", I think) at Tchoupitoulas and Poydras for a three-day conference next week. I was not overimpressed by the coffee at the nearby Revelator Coffee last year. A few minutes further away I see Pulp and Grind, which has promising Google reviews. I like really good coffee. Can anyone comment on Pulp and Grind or recommend another coffee bar near my hotel?
First off, your hotel is neither in the French Quarter nor "downtown" (although it's more "downtown" than the French Quarter). It's in the "CBD," which stands for the Central Business District. Tell locals that you're staying in the CBD and they'll understand.

I really like Revelator -- sorry you didn't -- but my favorite is Stumptown at the Ace Hotel. You can also get decent coffee in the lobby cafe at the Old No. 77 Hotel, which is right next to your hotel.

You didn't ask about lunch options, but I'd recommend St. James Cheese Company in that same vicinity. The sandwiches and salads are great, and it's much more relaxing and civilized than the uber-popular Cochon Butcher several blocks away. I've always liked Cochon Butcher, but enjoy St. James Cheese Company much more.

Last edited by Blumie; Mar 17, 2018 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:56 pm

My food choices are in the hands of an extremely knowledgeable local friend who has never steered me wrong. He introduced me to Cochon Butcher, Bacchanal, and Café Degas several years ago before the first two had caught on. I wouldn't venture to suggest anything to him. I had a very nice late-night snack at Old No. 77 last year after working up an appetite while the Staybridge took an hour and a half to get me and the person ahead of me checked in. I can well imagine No. 77 takes similar care with their coffee, and you can't beat right next door. There were at least forty people lined up behind me by the time the Staybridge clerk got my booking sorted out.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajGoes
My food choices are in the hands of an extremely knowledgeable local friend who has never steered me wrong. He introduced me to Cochon Butcher, Café Degas, and Bacchanal several years ago. I wouldn't venture to suggest anything to him. I had a very nice late-night snack at Old No. 77 last year after working up an appetite while the Staybridge took an hour and a half to get me and the person ahead of me checked in. I can well imagine No. 77 takes similar care with their coffee, and you can't beat right next door. There were at least forty people lined up behind me by the time the Staybridge clerk got my booking sorted out.
Your friend has steered you well. Unfortunately both Cochon Butcher and Bacchanal have been victims of their own success and now are crowded with tourists (I prefer the term "visitors" since "tourists" tends to be used derogatorily, and I congratulate any visitor who has strayed from Acme or Cafe du Monde to places like Cochon Butcher and Bacchanal). Which is why I like St. James Cheese as an alternative to Cochon Butcher. St. James Cheese's sandwiches don't smack of Louisiana the way that Cochon Butcher's do (although I think they do sometimes offer a muffaletta at their uptown location), but they're still delicious -- probably better than Cochon Butcher IMHO -- and as I've said the place is far more relaxing. In any event, given its proximity to where you are staying, you might at least ask your friend whether he's tried it. And maybe you can actually introduce him to something!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Your friend has steered you well. Unfortunately both Cochon Butcher and Bacchanal have been victims of their own success and now are crowded with tourists (I prefer the term "visitors" since "tourists" tends to be used derogatorily, and I congratulate any visitor who has strayed from Acme or Cafe du Monde to places like Cochon Butcher and Bacchanal). Which is why I like St. James Cheese as an alternative to Cochon Butcher. St. James Cheese's sandwiches don't smack of Louisiana the way that Cochon Butcher's do (although I think they do sometimes offer a muffaletta at their uptown location), but they're still delicious -- probably better than Cochon Butcher IMHO -- and as I've said the place is far more relaxing. In any event, given its proximity to where you are staying, you might at least ask your friend whether he's tried it. And maybe you can actually introduce him to something!
We had an acceptable wait at Cochon Butcher last year, but it's definitely gotten a lot busier. I'll definitely ask him what he thinks of St. James Cheese. He's almost certain to have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Last year we had a terrific meat board at a place whose name escapes me, and delicious Vietnamese "tacos" at a little cafe.... He always has great places to try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.