Unmarked planes at RSW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unmarked planes at RSW

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
At MIA you will see unmarked white 737s near AA gates (being serviced by AA). I've been told they are a/c for transporting prisoners and deportations back to Central America.
Another airport that sees unmarked 737s on a regular basis is LAS. These B737-600 aircraft use the call sign "Janet" and operate passenger shuttle service on weekdays for personnel working at the federal government's Tonopah Test Range and Area 51. The "Janet" flights are operated from a secure, private terminal at LAS.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by jlemon
Another airport that sees unmarked 737s on a regular basis is LAS. These B737-600 aircraft use the call sign "Janet" and operate passenger shuttle service on weekdays for personnel working at the federal government's Tonopah Test Range and Area 51. The "Janet" flights are operated from a secure, private terminal at LAS.
I'm particularly amused that those 737s were all originally owned by Air China.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Centurion
Our military/gov has some planes that are unmarked for moving our people and RSW is near Fort Meyers. They are not all green C130 like the movies.
Fort Myers FL has absolutely no connection to Fort Myer VA, which is adjacent to the Pentagon and Arlington National Cemetery

the nearest military installations of any size to Fort Myers are in the Tampa area
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by merlin3008
Hey all... I flew LGA to RSW on Delta yesterday and when I landed there were three large unmarked planes lined up on the tarmac. There was a white 747 with a blue tail and two large tri-engine wide body jets with no markings at all. Anyone know what those are?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:14 pm

Unmarked planes at RSW

I did see three of those in marked jumbo jets they are actually L 1011. I was lucky enough to see one of them this week approaching airport for landing... very cool!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:01 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Are there even 3 L1011s still in active service?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by pvn
Well, I believe there is at least one and it is operated by Orbital ATK, an aerospace company, which uses this L-1011 (named "Stargazer") to air launch its Pegasus XL rockets into space. I saw this TriStar take off about a year or so ago at the Kennedy Space Center where it was being used to air launch a NASA payload into orbit. BTW, a NASA operated F/A-18 was used as the chase aircraft on the mission with both the Hornet and the L-1011 operating from the space shuttle runway at KSC.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by bbhampton
I did see three of those in marked jumbo jets they are actually L 1011. I was lucky enough to see one of them this week approaching airport for landing... very cool!
Those unmarked planes are definitely cargo. Navistar has a 747 there right now, and Western Global has a couple DC10s (MD11s?) parked there. The Navistar 747 was taxiing tonight over to the International terminal, might be flying out tonight. Wish I was here later to watch her lift off...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
According to Wikipedia (FWIW) there are 8 in operation but I distinctly remember reading an article recently that only 1 was flying......even though I can't find it right now.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:54 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'm guessing the unmarked trijets were the WG MD11s. Those are definitely very active, I see them at MEM very frequently as FedEx often hires them when their traffic peaks.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:10 pm

Rsw planes

Originally Posted by merlin3008
Hey all... I flew LGA to RSW on Delta yesterday and when I landed there were three large unmarked planes lined up on the tarmac. There was a white 747 with a blue tail and two large tri-engine wide body jets with no markings at all. Anyone know what those are?
Theirs a small cargo company. Western global. out of RSW they use a few older model, wide bodied aircraft.they have a few md-11's and a 747-400. I live under the downwind leg of rsw.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Madone59
According to Wikipedia (FWIW) there are 8 in operation but I distinctly remember reading an article recently that only 1 was flying......even though I can't find it right now.
There is the Orbital ATK air launch to orbit carrier vehicle.

Someone has restored an L-1011 to flight: http://www.airlinereporter.com/2017/...returns-skies/

I am confident that there are not 8 in operation; in particular I think Barq Aviation is not operating them any more.

Any large trijet seen today is overwhelmingly more likely to be a DC-10, MD-10, or MD-11. If the rear engine appears mounted on the fin, very obviously, it is one of these.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Aadvantage
There are four base white DC10s there today. No L1011s. Don’t know the last time I saw one of those flying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.