Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Disney Buffs - 1 Bed Villa or Stay on Monorail?

Old Feb 19, 18, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Looking to book a trip for my family - 3 adults and 2 children aged 10 and 2 in May. Its the same price for a 1 bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge or at Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savannah View) as it is to stay in a 2 queen room at Grand Floridian.

I am temped to just cram into the GF just so we can be on the monorail with the young guy and be able to run home for naps and then go to Magic Kingdom in the evenings, but the extra space might be enjoyable too in a one bedroom (as well as a view of the Savannah).

Already checked DVC for one bedrooms at GF and nothing are available there or any other monorail resort. So its between a 1 BR not on the monorail, or a room on the mono. Any advice appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 18, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Monorail for ultimate convenience!!
Old Feb 19, 18, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldspan View Post
Monorail for ultimate convenience!!
OK thanks thats what I was leaning towards. I figure we dont need to spend time in the room anyways. Can just take naps/sleep and chill by the pool during hotel/rest time
Old Feb 20, 18, 7:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
While I haven't stayed at the AKL, everything I have heard is that their Savannah view rooms are awesome. Though my understanding there is a problem with them. People don't want to leave their balconies. They get up in the morning, have a cup of tea or coffee and get engrossed in watching the animals from their room.

So if you and/or your little one are much into watching animals walk by your room, I wouldn't discount AKL. And as a side note, while it may take you longer to get to MK, when you are at AK, you should be close enough to take afternoon naps from there. So you won't necessarily be giving up too much in terms of getting back to your room for afternoon naps (and while the little one is napping you would have your own show to watch for a bit. )
Old Feb 21, 18, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
While I haven't stayed at the AKL, everything I have heard is that their Savannah view rooms are awesome. Though my understanding there is a problem with them. People don't want to leave their balconies. They get up in the morning, have a cup of tea or coffee and get engrossed in watching the animals from their room.

So if you and/or your little one are much into watching animals walk by your room, I wouldn't discount AKL. And as a side note, while it may take you longer to get to MK, when you are at AK, you should be close enough to take afternoon naps from there. So you won't necessarily be giving up too much in terms of getting back to your room for afternoon naps (and while the little one is napping you would have your own show to watch for a bit. )
We have been at both the GF and AKL within the year. The rooms at both properties suffer from needing refreshing - Disney tends to keep the lobbies pristine but skimp on room upkeep. I found the rooms at AKL small - especially since
we were given a room with huge, floor hogging bunk beds that we did not need. We did not see the 1 BR option, which is probably quite a bit better. The GF rooms are more spacious but five people in one is probably not something
I'd enjoy. The one thing we do when we stay at off monorail resorts now is to take taxis to get around. Uber and Disney's new Minnie Mouse cars are also options. You could walk to the Contemporary from the MK and get a car to take you
back to AKL for a rest in not much more time than it would take to get back on the monorail. I think children would particularly like spending downtime at AKL because they have the savannah and many activities that seem to be well attended and enjoyed. But keep checking back on availability, as things change vis a vis room availability frequently and you might end up finding a 1 BR on the monorail in a win win situation.
Old Feb 27, 18, 4:49 am

With three adults, I'd choose the one-bedroom villa in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even think twice. Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa isn't special enough to make me cram five people into a single hotel room.

As for which villa: If you're spending more than one day at Magic Kingdom (which is typical) and you're not giddy with excitement over seeing animals from your room, I'd recommend one of the villas connected to Disney's Wilderness Lodge. While not on the monorail, you're still close to Magic Kingdom via bus or boat. In my experience, most kids seem to dig the boats.

Full Disclosure: I used to work for the Walt Disney Travel Company in Orlando as a Trainer for the Reservations Sales Agents. Part of our training course for new agents was touring every resort. Personally, I've never been overly enthused with Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa. I much prefer almost any other Deluxe Resort. Also, wild animals freak me out...so the thought of waking up and seeing a giraffe looking in my direction is not a positive.

Search this Thread