Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to Do in Asheville?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

What to Do in Asheville?

I'm considering spending 3 or 4 days in Asheville--probably in early October, and probably from a Tuesday to a Saturday. However, aside from the Biltmore Estate, what in the world is there to do in Asheville?

The town seems to get a lot of press, but the press is typically vague on the "must see/do" details. Accordingly, any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I'm considering spending 3 or 4 days in Asheville--probably in early October, and probably from a Tuesday to a Saturday. However, aside from the Biltmore Estate, what in the world is there to do in Asheville?

The town seems to get a lot of press, but the press is typically vague on the "must see/do" details. Accordingly, any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
The answer to that question depends, of course, on what your interests are.
Some of the things Asheville has in abundance:
It is surrounded by hundreds of thousands of acres of national forest and national parks with waterfalls, mountaintop vistas, hiking, camping, rafting, mountain biking, fishing, and much more. Early October is the beginning of the fall foliage season, with the best color in the higher elevations (5000 feet and above) at that time.
There are festivals in and around Asheville in abundance. October's biggest are the LEAF festival and the Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands, both Oct. 16-19.
In recent years Asheville has become a major center for craft beer. I think there are about 18 craft breweries in the area now.
We also have become somewhat of a foodie destination with all kinds of new restaurants popping up all the time.
Asheville has been a center for arts and crafts for over a century. There are lots of galleries and craft schools around here.
Asheville is full of music, dance and other creative arts all the time. Again, it mostly depends on what your interests/tastes are.

By the way, October is the peak of tourist season here. So, finding a hotel room at this late date may be difficult.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onthego15
The answer to that question depends, of course, on what your interests are.
Thanks.

All I really care about are cool temperatures, a walkable downtown, and enough free things to do or see over a period of days to keep me from getting bored.

Originally Posted by onthego15
By the way, October is the peak of tourist season here. So, finding a hotel room at this late date may be difficult.
I'm already holding two hotel reservations, just in case the trip goes ahead.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Thanks.

All I really care about are cool temperatures, a walkable downtown, and enough free things to do or see over a period of days to keep me from getting bored.

I'm already holding two hotel reservations, just in case the trip goes ahead.
Downtown is definitely walkable. There are always street musicians around, especially on the weekends. And the drum circle is fun on Friday nights. But beyond that, I don't think there are too many free things to do downtown. Downtown Asheville now caters mostly to upscale tourists. Very few of my friends go downtown very much anymore. Most free activities are out in the mountains surrounding Asheville.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:25 am

One word: Beer. Asheville is the microbrew hub of the East.

Hiking, biking, and kayaking are also quite good in the area.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by brendog

Hiking, biking, and kayaking are also quite good in the area.
110% agree. breweries, my friend, breweries. The micro breweries of Ashville are social hubs. They feature, in addition to beer, music food and games.

AVL also has a nice zoo featuring animals native to the area.

Downtown is walkable and edible. The foodie scene is pretty well developed.

For an interesting drive, head west towards the TN border. Even the trip on I-40 is beautiful. Backroads are even prettier.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brendog
Originally Posted by BamaVol
110% agree. breweries, my friend, breweries. The micro breweries of Ashville are social hubs. They feature, in addition to beer, music food and games.
Hmmm....I don't drink beer, so that's out.

I'm beginning to think that Asheville may not be worth the trip.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:27 pm

Don't drink beer? I can't believe I'm even deigning to respond...

Asheville is a hippie mountain town that is quickly becoming full of halfbacks and hipsters. If you're not into beer, local food, and outdoor activities, it likely wouldn't hold much interest for you. It really is a pretty town, with a very compact and walkable downtown.

I've never done the Biltmore or the zoo, as those really aren't my thing, but my wife and I have spent many a weekend bogarting a friend's spare room, and using it as a base for biking, kayaking, and the downing of many, many very good beers.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

Do you like to eat? Asheville has some wonderful restaurants. I can make 3 daily meals last half the day there.

I've never bothered with the Biltmore, but it is the largest private home built in the US and I'm told it's impressive. They have a winery that produces good wines.

The breweries: you don't have to drink beer to enjoy. They serve other beverages. And they are a social hub. I have had hours of pleasant conversation with strangers sitting at picnic tables there. I have had fun listeneing to live music, dancing and playing games (like cornhole). There are also a couple nice wine bars. Almost every restaurant and bar has outdoor seating.

Shopping: Asheville has loads of stores selling locally made crafts like soap and honey and baskets and dulcimers. There are galleries with hundreds of artists represented. There is an excellent independent bookstore where I could spend hours.

Sports: Winter visits AVL. There are ski areas nearby, some let you sled. In summer, kayaking and tubing/rafting are popular.

Culture: A hippie/leftist city is not completely expected in the south. It really stands out as a unique place. It is a small city, however, so it can be completely covered in 3 days or less.

If it doesn't sound right for you, then, cancel. But it is one of my favorite places in the US and if you've been to all the big cities, it's worth a look. By all means, a great stop if driving from point A to point B and you find yourself passing closeby.

Beer: Maybe you would like it but just haven't tried any good beers.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Hopefully what has been posted will be helpful to others who are considering a trip to Asheville; I've decided that I will spend my vacation elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.