Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCO expansion?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
The last thing MCO needs is a new terminal... Upgrades, yes, but they do not fully utilize the existing space...
Agreed, and this is what the airlines are saying (because they don’t want to pay for it) but GOAA insists that their projected growth will require a new terminal/hotel/etc.

Since this is in the Phase 2 which is still a few years away, it might be better to wait until that time to see if MCO has the kind of growth that will require another terminal. My guess, it will happen only if they are able to secure more intl flts, an area where arguably they have been lagging a bit.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I don't see any need for additional gates but I would prefer to have a few more restaurants for gates 60 through 99. Thankfully with pre-check you can go to the food court in the terminal and still get to your gate pretty quickly.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Agreed, and this is what the airlines are saying (because they don’t want to pay for it) but GOAA insists that their projected growth will require a new terminal/hotel/etc.

Since this is in the Phase 2 which is still a few years away, it might be better to wait until that time to see if MCO has the kind of growth that will require another terminal. My guess, it will happen only if they are able to secure more intl flts, an area where arguably they have been lagging a bit.
I think the money is better spent upgrading the 80's/90's decor and perhaps finally adding the light rail. I laugh at the fact that they expect so much growth. With all of the domestic consolidation, it would take a major uptick in international flights to reach current capacity.

I was pleased to hear the Hyatt I remaining for another 20 years. I do not see the need for another hotel. Over the years they have been upgrading, yet the overall dining and terminal experiences have not really caught up with the times.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:28 pm

I think the money is better spent upgrading the 80's/90's decor and perhaps finally adding the light rail. I laugh at the fact that they expect so much growth. With all of the domestic consolidation, it would take a major uptick in international flights to reach current capacity.

I was pleased to hear the Hyatt I remaining for another 20 years. I do not see the need for another hotel. Over the years they have been upgrading, yet the overall dining and terminal experiences have not really caught up with the times.
Well, I think the money would be better spent on a people mover that runs between the SC and whatever gate I am using.

Dining has been a laggard at MCO but they know that. Hopefully it will improve. They are planning a Sunrail link but it may depend on having a connection that travels down to Miami.

Like you, I question the need for another terminal but we could be wrong here. If MCO is successful courting more intl carriers, it would make sense to expand. The Hyatt is still awesome but if indeed there is another terminal built, it would justify another hotel/pkg garage/etc.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
While we're dreaming, I want a monorail from MCO to the Magic Kingdom, preferably over I-4, so I can jeer at the poor schmucks crawling down below
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by jimrpa
While we're dreaming, I want a monorail from MCO to the Magic Kingdom, preferably over I-4, so I can jeer at the poor schmucks crawling down below
That was in the works a few years ago but the guv shut it down.

But that's ok because a new medium speed connection (78 mph average, 125 mph max) between MCO and Miami is scheduled to be in operation by 2017. And since it's a private project, not government, chances are good they will not miss the schedule by all that much. Alas, not a monorail.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:13 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I'd prefer a Peoplemover like at MK from the gates to the main terminal. Can't stand that wait for the TSA agent to remove the 'protectors' in front of each door of the monorail and then the doors finally open crap.

UGH that's a major PITA!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by ScrodmanFL
I'd prefer a Peoplemover like at MK from the gates to the main terminal. Can't stand that wait for the TSA agent to remove the 'protectors' in front of each door of the monorail and then the doors finally open crap.

UGH that's a major PITA!
They have to do something to earn their keep. Running a smoothe security operation at MCO is not really their forte

The PRECK line on Monday had a line as long as the regular one. What a fine time for the CLEAR person to take a coffee break......
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:18 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
They have to do something to earn their keep. Running a smoothe security operation at MCO is not really their forte

The PRECK line on Monday had a line as long as the regular one. What a fine time for the CLEAR person to take a coffee break......
I feel for the Mon morning traveler. It's either up and out by 4am to catch the 5:30am flights out or wait a bit more and deal w/the longer lines. I've submitted to the Sun afternoon/evening flights with all the tourists heading out. Just get there before 4-5pm when the crowds hit for the big VS flights headed out or wait til about 6pm

Since I got GE in mid-January, I've never had more than 2-3 people in front of me at the Pre lane.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Most of my MCO departures have me arriving at the airport before 6am and I don't see congestion or issues. I often arrive back into the airport on flights after the evening rush hour (by design) and don't see it then either. Unlike many leisure travelers I don't see the need for expansion. I think the local govt. is spend happy.

What I will agree with is transportation improvements such as mass transit via rail to the attraction, downtown, and I-4 areas is sorely needed. I also wonder how long the airport's anti-rideshare policy will last.

I used to dislike MCO when compared to smaller local airports (DAB and JAX) but now I just schedule around congestion and traffic issues when a cheap ticket is possible.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:41 pm

Like you, I question the need for another terminal but we could be wrong here. If MCO is successful courting more intl carriers, it would make sense to expand. The Hyatt is still awesome but if indeed there is another terminal built, it would justify another hotel/pkg garage/etc.
Weird, I have never quoted myself before.

Maybe we are wrong here. MCO posted some impressive intl gains this past year. If they can do the same over the next couple years, it would justify another terminal. IMO that means bringing in not only more intl flts but also more intl carriers. If GOAA is aggressive enough, this could get interesting.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/n...7&t=1423700716
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by ND76
It was much more than a "focus city". When Eastern Airlines, Delta's historic arch-enemy, went bankrupt in the late 80s, Delta ramped up MCO, got the local airport authority to build a DL dedicated building connected by a people mover to the main terminal, and also to build a new north-south runway on the east side of the airport. Delta also spent quite a bit of money with Disney, becoming the "Official Airline of Walt Disney World", and even having a sponsored ride (they took over Eastern's "If You Had Wings"; I forget what DL renamed it to). By the mid-90s, ValuJet (later AirTran) and Southwest had risen to be DL's competitors at MCO, and Delta never again made the kind of money that they had to have been making there immediately after Eastern's demise.
Delta Dreamflight
• Opened June 26, 1989 replacing “If You Could Fly”
• Renamed “Take Flight” on Jan. 1, 1996. “Take Flight” closed on Jan. 5, 1998
• The space currently houses Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, which opened in October 1998

Photos and article: http://attractionsmagazine.com/retro....mUYEZRve.dpuf
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Weird, I have never quoted myself before.

Maybe we are wrong here. MCO posted some impressive intl gains this past year. If they can do the same over the next couple years, it would justify another terminal. IMO that means bringing in not only more intl flts but also more intl carriers. If GOAA is aggressive enough, this could get interesting.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/n...7&t=1423700716
My thoughts: if they just needed more gates in general, they left room for an entire new leg of the airside that SWA uses. The big reason, as you pointed out, is international. The current setup with the train guards for international arrivals is bizarre, and the international gates are limited in number.

For international flights, MCO's main competitor is SFB which primarily serves international traffic. I can see them using a new international terminal to try to steal some of SFB's business.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by realjd

For international flights, MCO's main competitor is SFB which primarily serves international traffic. I can see them using a new international terminal to try to steal some of SFB's business.

A new international terminal won't steer ANY of SFB's away - if anything, it may push them further away if fees are higher. SFB enjoys the success they do because of the lower cost they impose on airlines to operate there. Unless MCO's fee's for the airlines match those of SFB's, you can forget any of the cheap-o Intl airlines moving from SFB to MCO. Allegiant tried to make MCO work even, and found that despite it being far more convenient for 99% of the passengers - it just wasnt worth the extra cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.