Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

MCO expansion?

MCO expansion?

Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by indufan
What is the deal with IND-RSW? I see it on the route map too.
Sat only from Feb 16 thru Apr 6 on an E-175.

Full once/wk flying from Florida is as follows:

MCO: MCI/AUS/MKE/BHM/OMA/PIT/GRR/IND/SDF/RIC/BDL/CMH/HPN
PBI: BOS
RSW: CMH/IND
EYW: LGA
DAB: LGA
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by indufan
What is the deal with IND-RSW? I see it on the route map too.
They are flying CMH and IND to RSW, also Saturday only like MCO. Both on E175.

Edit: Sat on it for too long, mersk862 beat me to it.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:50 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bk42
Sat on it for too long, mersk862 beat me to it.
Mersk is always on the ball!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emma dog
IIRC, in the early-mid 1990s, much of the current terminal was in use by DL as a "focus city" or mini-hub. Then it became Delta Express, the pre-Song LCC within an airline. The space used by Airtran was made as DL vacated it.
And the club use to be double the size.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mersk862
Sat only from Feb 16 thru Apr 6 on an E-175.
Thanks. Very interesting. I am trying to figure this out. Is the strategy simply to attract the spring break crowd?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I would just be happy if Delta would bring back and keep either MCO-MIA/FLL. That route seems to come and go every few years. I wouldn't mind having the direct flight to Key West back either.
Agreed.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz Prez. Circle
Originally Posted by troyintn
And the club use to be double the size.
Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but where was the rest of the club? That SkyClub is already pretty big, I just don't see where else it could have/would have gone. Was there perhaps a second club located elsewhere? I just can't seem to picture this in my mind at all.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM/SkyClub
The wall along the bar side where the breakfast tables are setup used to not be there. The room opened up behind that wall into another roomy section. They closed that section years ago and built the wall. It did not cut 50% of the total space. I am guessing it cut 1/3 or so.

I remember they had the golf putting thing setup over in that old section until the golf thing went away at many SCs.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Seems silly to build a wall... Alas... Mr. Anderson, Tear Down this Wall...
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Seems silly to build a wall... Alas... Mr. Anderson, Tear Down this Wall...
^^

...though I was happy to see the putt putt go.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
MCO expansion?

I wonder with the SEA expansion if we are going to see a head-to-head fight with the AS route. Probably not enough to see an expansion into the 90s gates however....
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
I wonder with the SEA expansion if we are going to see a head-to-head fight with the AS route. Probably not enough to see an expansion into the 90s gates however....
^^ I would love to see that as the ug on AS, MCO-SEA is next to impossible. In my experience.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Since this thread got dusted off…

MCO is beginning a billion dollar expansion. Some areas really need improvements like baggage handling and intl arrivals but this also includes adding some gates and a new terminal eventually. I think the first phase will take three years, the second phase a couple years later.

http://pearlsoftravelwisdom.boarding...rport-growing/
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by emma dog
IIRC, in the early-mid 1990s, much of the current terminal was in use by DL as a "focus city" or mini-hub. Then it became Delta Express, the pre-Song LCC within an airline. The space used by Airtran was made as DL vacated it.
It was much more than a "focus city". When Eastern Airlines, Delta's historic arch-enemy, went bankrupt in the late 80s, Delta ramped up MCO, got the local airport authority to build a DL dedicated building connected by a people mover to the main terminal, and also to build a new north-south runway on the east side of the airport. Delta also spent quite a bit of money with Disney, becoming the "Official Airline of Walt Disney World", and even having a sponsored ride (they took over Eastern's "If You Had Wings"; I forget what DL renamed it to). By the mid-90s, ValuJet (later AirTran) and Southwest had risen to be DL's competitors at MCO, and Delta never again made the kind of money that they had to have been making there immediately after Eastern's demise.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Since this thread got dusted off…

MCO is beginning a billion dollar expansion. Some areas really need improvements like baggage handling and intl arrivals but this also includes adding some gates and a new terminal eventually. I think the first phase will take three years, the second phase a couple years later.

http://pearlsoftravelwisdom.boarding...rport-growing/

The last thing MCO needs is a new terminal... Upgrades, yes, but they do not fully utilize the existing space...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.