Please help me plan a trip to DisneyWorld

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help me plan a trip to DisneyWorld

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:38 pm

So much misinformation, where do I start

RE: Dining plan. I'm not a great fan. It's not cheap, and not what it used to be. The regular plan will include a quick breakfast and sit down dinner (& a snack). That dinner includes an entree, dessert, and a drink per person. They claim you will save 25%, and you have to work it to do so. It no longer includes an appetizer or the tips. If you up it to the deluxe dining plan, you will spend a good chunk of your time going to /from restaurants and eating.
You don't have to use the Dining Plan this way. You can use your credits however you want. You can do a sit-down character breakfast and a quick service dinner, or you can do sit-downs in one day and use 2 quick services in a day. Some of us like to do a light breakfast in our room, think cereal, muffins, etc. and use the Quick Service for dinner and perhaps save a Table Service Credit to double up the next night for a signature meal.

Also, if you're on the regular dining plan, some restaurants require 2 credits (the character meals and signature).
The only character meal that requires 2 credits is Cinderella's Royal Table. All others are 1 credit.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I thank you for that clarification. The last time I was on a plan, it was the platinum pkg that included everything no matter where we wanted to go.

I haven't been in a regular dining plan in years and they keep changing it,

My opinion of it doesn't change though. It's not what it used to be and to get anywhere near the 25% off they claim you can get, you really have to work it.

Last edited by Mary2e; Apr 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
wow.
lots changed since I was there 36 years ago lol

I will need to read this whole thread. We may actually have a chance to swing down to Disney like in 10 days!
wooo hooo
could be in for something nutty with the 3 and 5 year old!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Rented a car from the airport and just keep it with us throughout the stay. We will buy some food for the room at a grocery store and then eat breakfast in the CLUB when offered.

Lunch will be at the park or restaurants around us. Dinner will be outside around the Orlando area as I would like to get away from the hotel crowd and eat different type of food if possible.

Other than that, I thank everyone for all the wornderful advice and lets keep this thread open for info for other first timers.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by anaggie
Rented a car from the airport and just keep it with us throughout the stay. We will buy some food for the room at a grocery store and then eat breakfast in the CLUB when offered.

Lunch will be at the park or restaurants around us. Dinner will be outside around the Orlando area as I would like to get away from the hotel crowd and eat different type of food if possible.

Other than that, I thank everyone for all the wornderful advice and lets keep this thread open for info for other first timers.
If you have club access at both hotels, you will be able to get drinks/snacks all day long. No need to buy any food.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Mary2e
If you have club access at both hotels, you will be able to get drinks/snacks all day long. No need to buy any food.

Have a great time!
I've stayed twice Club Level at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and even their evening snacks filled us up so much it was dinner! They are appetizers from Jiko (at least they were) and Boma - and they have beer and wine all day - when it's not out you can just ask for it and they'll bring it to you. And their espresso machine is great!!

I saw a previous post that indicated that the AKL is in the Animal Kingdom - please be aware this is NOT the case at all! The savannah there is a separate one - it is a bus drive to the theme park, not in the theme park.

I also wouldn't waste evening time leaving the Disney area - I'd enjoy the ambiance and dine in Disney. That is part of the whole experience IMHO. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy - my kids love having a hot dog at the Boardwalk and watching the entertainers. Or grabbing a snack at Epcot and walking around.

We also always add park-hopping. And - I always brought our own stroller. Trust me on this one. You'll want it. It wasn't too big a deal to fold it up for the bus rides.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:29 pm

If you want a good book/planner to read about trips the Passporter is a great one. I use it when Im planning an on-site stay at Disney. Also for kids the Birnbaum Walt Disney World for Kids is pretty good as well. My oldest loves me reading to hear from it before trips.

I highly suggest that if you plan on eating at any of the sit down restruants at WDW that you make the reservations as soon as possible. They tend to book up for the times you want to eat (and sometimes they book up all together). Especially character meals. I know you said it was no big deal but if your daughter has her heart set on seeing princesses (especially a certain one) then the princess meals are the best way of seeing them. In the parks they tend to be a little quick hurried interaction. I did Cinderellas Royal Table with my then 3 and 1 1/2 year olds and the princesses were great about spending time with every child there. It was totally worth the time/money to go.

Other than Magic Kingdom the other place to see princesses is at Epcot. They are around the World Showcases in the countries the stories are suppose to be in (for example, Belle is outside of France.. sometimes the Beast is with her). I found the lines at Epcot a lot better than the ones at Magic Kingdom. Last time we were there we were in line for over an hour to see the princesses since my oldest had her heart set on seeing them. Another thing you can do if you are looking for a specific one is talk to the customer service at one of the parks and they will be able to tell you where and when you will be able to see them. Also at Epcot is the Character Spot where they have Minnie, Mickey, Goofy, Donald and sometimes Daisey or Pluto. Its a good spot to hit up all of the characters at one time.

Animal Kingdom is probably my favorite park. I love seeing all the animals. It is a lot of walking though and hard on little ones. My husband's niece was 6 when we took her and she was exhausted by noon so we ended up spending the money to rent a stroller the next day so she could actually enjoy the time. If you aren't planning on it yet I would suggest maybe bringing a stroller even for an older child, WDW is a LOT of walking.

If anyone at your house is a fan of Star Wars, Star Wars weekends will be going on at Hollywood Studios during the time of your stay as well.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by anaggie

Smart move on the car with a 5 year old. Although another poster suggested using the Disney buses to get around, they are far slower than driving, parking, and tramming to the entrance of the parks, and especially slower if you do downtown Disney. 5 yr olds have a way of crashing and burning in a hurry at Disney, and an hour commute by crowded bus at the end of the day can be painful.

For your grocery shopping, skip Goodings and go a mile farther down the road to Winn Dixie.

Originally Posted by happymommy
I've stayed twice Club Level at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and even their evening snacks filled us up so much it was dinner! They are appetizers from Jiko (at least they were) and Boma - and they have beer and wine all day - when it's not out you can just ask for it and they'll bring it to you. And their espresso machine is great!!

I also wouldn't waste evening time leaving the Disney area - I'd enjoy the ambiance and dine in Disney. That is part of the whole experience IMHO. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy - my kids love having a hot dog at the Boardwalk and watching the entertainers. Or grabbing a snack at Epcot and walking around.

We also always add park-hopping. And - I always brought our own stroller. Trust me on this one. You'll want it. It wasn't too big a deal to fold it up for the bus rides.
I agree with the comment on not leaving the property for dinner. Orlando proper is a solid 30-45 mins away, twice that during rush hour. All of the closer Kissimmee and Lake Buena Vista off property restaurants are chains, giving you the same food quality, crowds, and noise as the onsite ones.

If you want something more sedate for dinner, some of the hotel restaurants, while often still bustling, will be your best bet. Some suggestions would include the Yachtman's Steak House, Citrico's, Narcoosee's, and that 1st floor resto at the Contemporary (I forget the name -- it will always be the Fiesta Fun Center to me). You'll save time that can be spent wandering around, getting ice cream, checking out shops, and the like as opposed to sitting in traffic. And I can't overemphasize the ability to beat a hasty retreat back to home base once the kid is exhausted.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
make it simple: do not plan,just go.

April 3. called and booked Coronado resort--in Disney. Was about $1,200 for 5 days. But wife got a nice discount from work making this about $875!
Had our plans changed they only wanted $50 to change the ability of coming another time.

April 9 booked RT tickets on DL using 47,500 miles pp for family of 4
connections, yes, but the last minute ability of this made it worth it!

April 14 - 19 stayed in Disney and did 2 days at Magic Kingdom and 2 days at our pool and hopping to other Disney properties. We have a 3 and 5 year old so this worked nicely.

Had the cards they give you that are good to swipe everywhere. Used them exclusively.

Home: noted that I can and will transfer all points from our 3 new cap one cards into one and pay off the entire trip with cap one points that were matched from other airlines, which were brought to their high balances via coins and promos and sign on deals with CCs.

total cost of trip:
~$100 out of pocket if that. everything else is a travel related expense.
~$2,200 on Cap on Visa. Will need to burn up 220,000 points. No probs!

Benes:

-the ability to NOT plan hardly at all and just book, jump on a plane and go.

-All carry on luggage means less hassle all around! What do you need down there cept shorts and a bathing suit and some t shirts anyway!

-Brought tons of own snacks (saves you TONS of money) and brought those Starbucks instant VIA coffees because most any vendor or shop in Disney will gladly give you a free hot cup of water. Saves you tons of money on coffee. Brought empty water bottles in as well and filled at nice cold and convenient water fountains.

-Got fast passes for rides we needed to do.

-Got to park way early, which you can do when staying within the confines of their property.

-Got to Town Square Theater in Main Street square on right and got exclusive photoshoots with some princesses and Mickey/Minnie. This is a new and little know attraction and we actually did this at 9:30pm during the 9pm parade so no one else was in there!

MM
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jrgators
With a 5 year old, I wouldnt bother with the park hopper pass. You could probably spend 2 days at Magic Kindgom and 1 at each of the other parks. The contemporary is the closest...If you have a rental car, I would skip the buses to the other parks and just drive there (free parking if you're staying on site). A suggest website with a wealth of practical information is http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.com/home.aspx
We have a 5 year old as well, and a now 1 year old.. our Christmas Break Vacation was indeed unbelievable.. but the delays between hopping parks with kids was valuable time wasted if our vacation time was shorter.

We spent 20 days at the parks over Christmas Break.. recommendation, if you can book a couple extra parks, it will definitely be worthwhile.

10 day ticket with no hopper is the best value.. so if you can max that out, after 4 or 5 days, its only $3 or $4 extra per day.

Probably mentioned, but I would book ahead for your daughter to experience Cinderella's castle, or Princess Akershus in Norway Pavilion at Epcot.. These are princess experience meals with a free photo shoot (generally $30 if you go to 1900 Park fare for your Princess package). We were there at the Cinderella's Castle on Christmas Eve Lunch (celebrating my one year's old December 24th birthday) and Christmas Day supper (celebrating Jesus's birthday of course). Picture packages are worth a lifetime of memories.. so we've got quite a few on the shelf. We did get a Princess Akershus package during our August 09 trip.. and I've got two boys.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
April 3. called and booked Coronado resort--in Disney. Was about $1,200 for 5 days. But wife got a nice discount from work making this about $875!
One thing I'd point out if you can't get a discount like this is that if you are a WDW annual passholder, you can sometimes get as much as 45% off your Disney room. Look at mousesavers.com for info on this; the offers change and availability might be limited. You don't have to be a passholder when you reserve, only when you check in. You can get the annual pass at your hotel or I usually use Downtown Disney.

The discount might more than pay for your annual pass. Then you can return in 11 months "for free" and get all kinds of restaurant and shopping discounts to boot during your stay.

You only need one annual pass for this hotel savings, and I think a passholder can reserve up to 2 rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.