Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants in Uruguay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Restaurants in Uruguay

I'll be visiting a friend with homes in MVD and Punta, but he's not much of a "foodie". Does anyone have any recommendations for these two locations, or anywhere else in the country.
I'll be in Uruguay for 2 weeks.

My first 4 days are in BA and I'm absolutely thrilled and overwhelmed by Gaucho100K's blog. How can I choose from all of the tremendous eating recommendations for only 4 fabulous meals. I'm really not much more than a breakfast and dinner guy. Big lunches and dinner when I'm off my exercise schedule is a bad mix.

I may have a 5 hr layover at EZE on my way home. Are there any restaurants close to the airport for a good/great meal?
Thanks.

GRF in DC
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United, Continental, Northwest frequent flier programs, Le Meridien Moments
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but there is very little of appeal in Montevideo. It probably suffers from being so close to Buenos Aires. I was there for 3 days last August and couldn't wait to get out. However, there are a couple of decent places to eat. Try the Mercado del Puerto, near the docks, opposite the Aduana. There is also a small pedestrianized area (no cars) downtown off the Plaza de la Independencia, near the Radisson Hotel, which has a number of restaurants. Try an Italian place called Roma Amor, which has a nice luncheon buffet, which is also cheap. There is another nice place called Cafe Bacacay, in the same area.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
When at an Uruguayan Parrilla, be sure to try the Pamplonas... they are a specialty not to be missed.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:41 am

We ate at a yummy italian

restaurant in PDE called il barreto. They have live music too. It is located at the intersection of calle 9 and 10.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Only memorable meal in Uruguay was a late lunch a friend and I had at a roadside restaurant in Maldonado (1/2 way between Punta and MVD) where the parilla was good but the fun was seeing the locals (3 local couples, clearly neighbors/friends) tuck into a heaping mound of meat and have a great time. Their joy in being together really rubbed off. (We'd spent part of the evening before at Carrefour in Punta looking at the meat case, so we weren't so interested in the meat...we realized what chinchulines were
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:22 am

In MVD cafe mysterio is considered good. Punta has many outstanding restaurants - I'd try los negros or La Huela in Jose Ignacio (30 minutes from town).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.