Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should i go to Montevideo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Should i go to Montevideo

I am going to Bs. As. for close to two weeks. I plan on spending a week in the city then going to the falls for a couple days. I also want to go to one more place and am hoping to get some tips. Someone mentioned Montevideo and i just wanted to get some feedback on it or any other place people recommend,
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
I am going to Bs. As. for close to two weeks. I plan on spending a week in the city then going to the falls for a couple days. I also want to go to one more place and am hoping to get some tips. Someone mentioned Montevideo and i just wanted to get some feedback on it or any other place people recommend,
Not knowing what you are looking for makes it difficult to recommend anything specific. I would not consider Montevideo as a "top choice". Perhaps a two to three day stay in Mendoza (wine country) or Bariloche (lake country). A visit to Perito Moreno glacier is also quite interesting and a definite attraction not found anywhere else. On the other hand if you are looking for relaxation a two day stay at the FS Carmelo would be a good way to recharge batteries before heading home. Great golf course , tennis, horseback riding etc.
Hope this helps
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
montivideo is a nice city for a few days...are you going on to punta de este or just going back to Bs As?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:30 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Else, for a day trip you could consider Colonia.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We did Montevideo between Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires, primarily because we could get a cheaper airfare than if we went direct from Brazil to Argentina. Montevideo is a nice city -- quite different from Buenos Aires, with some interesting areas to explore. The Mercado del Puerto is surprisingly un-tourist like, and easily worth a morning (plus you must eat lunch at one of the grilled meat stands). There's a nice shorline to walk along, and squares and churches to see in the downtown area.

Gaucho100K suggested Colonia del Sacremento. It's a short ferry ride away from BA and very pretty, though very, very touristy. We thought it worth the trip, both for the Colonia itself and because it was fun to experience the ferry which was very much a true "locals" experience.

If you decide to do Montevideo, I'd suggest two nights, leaving a full day to explore the city. Colonia is easily done as a day trip, plus you'll be back in time for dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.