Search

hotels/things to do Bogota/Santiago?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Gold, BA Silver
hotels/things to do Bogota/Santiago?

Hello,
I am off to a business trip to Bogota and Santiago in January.
As the guidebooks available here are not really good on these two areas, I wonder if someone could help me with these two things:
a) I am looking for good (pricey/luxury is fine) hotels in both cities. I want to stay close to the city, preferably where there is a lot of life, cafes, stores, etc. I am not really into malls and international glitz, but would appreciate staying in a more funky area with boutiques. I also like design-ish hotels, not the international hotel style where you wake up and don't really know where you are. I also like outdoor swimming pools :-)
Do you have any suggestions for the two cities?

b) Also, I am looking for nice/interesting things to do. I have about 4-5 hrs of spare time in each city every day, so I can't take huge side trips, but would like to know some really good things I can do during that time. I am somewhat interested in museums, also like shopping, special restaurants, etc. I love flea markets, and I am especially interested in antiques.
I don't really like doing the typically tourist stuff, buying trinkets, etc.
Do you have any special tips for these cities?

Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
For Santiago, I'd recommend that you stay in Providencica. Many of the "upscale" hotels are in Las Condes, where you find malls, Harbux, Ruby Tuesday's, Hooters, etc. I always stay at the San Cristobal Tower (the LC part of the Sheraton). It is a short walk to the heart of Providencia (a nice, but not flashy neighborhood) and right up the hill from Bellavista, a sort of bohemian neighborhood which has many cool restaurants, clubs, some shops, in a gentrified area. You are also close cab rides and/or Metro from the city center. (I'll be back there in a week )
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Gold, Marriot Silver
I'd recommend the hotel Torre Mayor on Av. Ricardo Lyon 322 - Providencia. It's located in the heart of Providencia with plenty to do all around you. There's a metro stop maybe 100m from the hotel door. It's on a beautiful tree lined street.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:52 pm

I second Providencia and Hotel San Cristobal Tower. We had a room with view to the Andes.
In walking distance is a very good (seafood) restaurant called "Aquie Esta Coco", http://www.aquiestacoco.cl/ - reservation requested!!
January is summer-vacation-month in Chile.
Santiago has a pretty "old town": Palacio de La Moneda (President Palace), Plaza de Armas, fish market ...
It's OK to take the Metro, but taxis are not expensive.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:07 pm

Programs: Iberia Platinum
As for Santiago Palacio de La Moneda (President Palace), Plaza de Armas, fish market ...
I did enjoy visiting Santiago

for Bogotá you must visit the Museo del Oro and the Barrio de la Candelaria, BUT go with a taxi known by the hotel. Do not go by yourself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.