RIP General Pinochet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP General Pinochet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
RIP General Pinochet

... And so closes a darker chapter in Chile's national history.

While the country has continued to adapt and modernise for at least the last decade, the significance of the passing of Pinochet will, IMO, be akin to Spain's blooming after the death of Franco.

Still a shame us Brits lost our bottle when we had a chance to bust him.

Viva Chile!

(sorry for all the polemic, just a country I've visited many times but feels like home)
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
... And so closes a darker chapter in Chile's national history.
And another chapter in the US's business in toppling other governments...

I won't be back there for another couple of weeks - I'd have been interested in "being there" for the event and coverage.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And another chapter in the US's business in toppling other governments.
Of that, sadly, I'd be less certain.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:42 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
Still a shame us Brits lost our bottle when we had a chance to bust him.

Viva Chile!

Well I for one happen to think that the entire nonsense of attempting to extradite Pinochet to Spain in 1998 was a complete farce and a waste of BRITISH tax payer's money. And I also detected some hypocrisy at the time as, correct me if I am wrong, but for the 1st 2 years of the General's horrific and undemocratic regime, the requesting state for the extradition (Spain) was hardly a hot bed of democratic principles! Indeed I do believe they had there very own facisit General running their country.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tgsh2006
Well I for one happen to think that the entire nonsense of attempting to extradite Pinochet to Spain in 1998 was a complete farce and a waste of BRITISH tax payer's money.
No more so than the amount of British tax payers' money lavished on entertaining the General and his entourage on their various visits to the UK and the discounting on armament contracts in order to assure his reign.

Originally Posted by tgsh2006
And I also detected some hypocrisy at the time as, correct me if I am wrong, but for the 1st 2 years of the General's horrific and undemocratic regime, the requesting state for the extradition (Spain) was hardly a hot bed of democratic principles! Indeed I do believe they had there very own facisit General running their country.
This is just plain naive. Sorry not an attack on you but simply the naivety of your views. If you follow the same logic then the British, as inventors of concentration camps during the Boer War, had no moral right to prosecute Nazis for war crimes in the afternmath of WWII. Let alone the somewhat shaky moral ground the UK finds itself on while prosecuting its campaign in Iraq.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Sounds like Omni to me...
Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:41 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Sounds like Omni to me...
Agreed... this thread should be moved.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
There is already a discussion of the subject in OMNI here. Political discussion is more appropriate for OMNI than the South America travel forum, so I'll close this thread.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
Senior moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.