FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RIP General Pinochet
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2006, 1:17 pm
virtualtroy

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by tgsh2006
Well I for one happen to think that the entire nonsense of attempting to extradite Pinochet to Spain in 1998 was a complete farce and a waste of BRITISH tax payer's money.
No more so than the amount of British tax payers' money lavished on entertaining the General and his entourage on their various visits to the UK and the discounting on armament contracts in order to assure his reign.

Originally Posted by tgsh2006
And I also detected some hypocrisy at the time as, correct me if I am wrong, but for the 1st 2 years of the General's horrific and undemocratic regime, the requesting state for the extradition (Spain) was hardly a hot bed of democratic principles! Indeed I do believe they had there very own facisit General running their country.
This is just plain naive. Sorry not an attack on you but simply the naivety of your views. If you follow the same logic then the British, as inventors of concentration camps during the Boer War, had no moral right to prosecute Nazis for war crimes in the afternmath of WWII. Let alone the somewhat shaky moral ground the UK finds itself on while prosecuting its campaign in Iraq.