Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Quito and surrounding area?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA, Hilton Diamond

We are headed to Quito next week for 4 days to visit a friend who just moved there. Anyone have suggestions for best sights or things to do in the area?

Ideas appreciated!
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Has anyone gone hiking after taking the cable car ride up Pichincha Volcano? I'm planning this with a 10 yo.

Also, any must sees in Quito? I have one extra day. Planning a cooking class but not much more - again with a 10yo
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Also, any ideas on weather? It seems to be in the 50's and rainy? Makes packing for then 8 days in the Galapagos harder
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Redhead
Has anyone gone hiking after taking the cable car ride up Pichincha Volcano? I'm planning this with a 10 yo.

Also, any must sees in Quito? I have one extra day. Planning a cooking class but not much more - again with a 10yo
Especially because you have a 10yo with you - I suggest not missing the Intian Musuem. Great hands on stuff that will capture the minds and really make lasting impression with kids and adults alike. It is literally on the equator (or is it?!?!?)

Other things to check out:
- Quito's historic section: La Basilica, with its impressive 377-foot Condor Tower—look for the gargoyles -they represent indigenous animals.
- Plaza de La Independenzia featuring a winged statue, the Presidential Palace and the guards - kinda like Buckinham Palace Beefeaters, and San Francisco Square.
- I enjoyed the historic district of La Ronda, too - very lively artistic/shopping area - most kids will think the candy shops are worth the walking with mom/dad.

I was there in June so at a completely different time of year, so cant help you on the weather.
Redhead likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Redhead
I did that some years ago. It's a very fun hike I do get altitude sickness, so that made hiking all that much harder!
Redhead likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.