Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA (delta) Equipment changes USA route

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:11 am
Original Poster

SAA (delta) Equipment changes USA route

SAA (delta codeshare on ATL/ JFK South african routes) will be replacing the 747-400 equipment currently used on their USA routes with Airbus 340-600 aircraft. This change is effective Jan 1/04 for the ATL route and Feb 9/04 for the JFK route. This means there will be no more First, and a total of only 42 Business seats from the currect 55+ premium seats on the 747-400.

Anyone have any more info on why, whats happening to the 747-400's
Old Oct 1, 2003, 1:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
SAA made the decision a couple of years ago to go with Airbus and eventually phase out the Boeing products. I had been told that the US routes would be amongst the last to lose the 747 service. However, over the past few months because of FAA directives the range on the 747 has been restricted somewhat and SAA has been forced to make refueling stops at Sal Island going both ways (it used to be nonstop from the US to South Africa and then one stop at Sal on the return), so since this happened perhaps it sped up the timetable for conversion to Airbus on the US routes. I dread this.

The A340 is slower, so on a route this long it will add as much as an hour to the flight, maybe more (haven't done the calculations yet). And no first class, either.

Old Oct 1, 2003, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Robert
Thanks for the reply, but the requirement to stop at Cape Verde outbound and returning was lifted a while ago, and SAA has resumed non-stop service from both ATL and JFK, so I am sure that as not the reason. I guess the airbus is cheaper to operate which accelerated the decsion to swith the equipment. I have since learnt that the 747-400's will be used on the London route from both CPT and JNB. I'll be sorry to see the them go...
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Petercbm:
Robert
Thanks for the reply, but the requirement to stop at Cape Verde outbound and returning was lifted a while ago, and SAA has resumed non-stop service from both ATL and JFK, so I am sure that as not the reason. I guess the airbus is cheaper to operate which accelerated the decsion to swith the equipment. I have since learnt that the 747-400's will be used on the London route from both CPT and JNB. I'll be sorry to see the them go...
</font>
After I wrote the post above I went back and looked and sure enough the nonstops have resumed, but this has been sort of an off and on thing for the past year now. It was one stop late in 2002 then went back to nonstop then a few months ago went back to one stop (and was one stop when I checked just a few weeks ago).

Looking at the SAA website, they seem to truly love the A340-600 and do make the claim that it is supremely efficient (moreso than even a 777). I dunno. I still hate to see F go away on an 8,000 mile route.

Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:26 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
SAA is currently modifying their Airbus premium cabin to include sleeper seats there.

Will fly the Airbus between FRA and JNB in December / January and see how it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.