Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

JNB-LHR SAA Reduces London Frequency / Introduces A330-300 to Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JNB-LHR SAA Reduces London Frequency / Introduces A330-300 to Route

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SAA to continue to cut, reduce routes

"Vuyani Jarana, CEO of South African Airways, has announced that the airline will continue to cut or reduce loss-making routes and transfer unneeded aircraft to profitable low-cost carrier, Mango Airlines, as it embarks on a three-year recovery plan.Jarana, who became SAAs first permanent CEO in three years when he started in November, says: We now have a clear strategy and clear path to profitability defined by the board. We are looking at a three-year window to get to a break-even point. We continue to revise the strategy as we see new opportunities."

Source

Johan
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by johan rebel
"Vuyani Jarana, CEO of South African Airways, has announced that the airline will continue to cut or reduce loss-making routes and transfer unneeded aircraft to profitable low-cost carrier, Mango Airlines, as it embarks on a three-year recovery plan.Jarana, who became SAAs first permanent CEO in three years when he started in November, says: We now have a clear strategy and clear path to profitability defined by the board. We are looking at a three-year window to get to a break-even point. We continue to revise the strategy as we see new opportunities."

Source

Johan
Slash and burn policy.
Why not try to see WHY a route is unprofitable and try to fix that.
How many routes would have to be abandoned to get to break even.
And with an ever decreasing network, flying this airline becomes less and less of an option...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Slash and burn policy.
Why not try to see WHY a route is unprofitable and try to fix that.
How many routes would have to be abandoned to get to break even.
And with an ever decreasing network, flying this airline becomes less and less of an option...
This is more about cash and balance sheet preservation than returning to profit.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Well, BA and VS must be laughing all the way to the bank.
More chance to increase the fares on that route. I find it astonishing that SAA can't make a decent profit on that route. BA run a 380 plus a 747. And I understand from people flying the route that they are often overbooked.
Well VS is taking the gap: its introducing a second flight from 28 October.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by evanb
This is more about cash and balance sheet preservation than returning to profit.
And this is perfectly sensible. However, for this to be sufficient, you have also to take steps to address the reason why so much is unprofitable, whether it's cost structure, or service deficiency, and then rectify these issues. Otherwise you get sucked into a vortex of further losses and further cuts, from which you won't escape.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And this is perfectly sensible. However, for this to be sufficient, you have also to take steps to address the reason why so much is unprofitable, whether it's cost structure, or service deficiency, and then rectify these issues. Otherwise you get sucked into a vortex of further losses and further cuts, from which you won't escape.
Indeed, I really don't think that downsizing is a good strategy. They'll begin to lose economies of scale which could cause unit costs to rise, and cutting routes and reducing connecting opportunities could also harm unit revenue. But the cash and balance sheet situation is very dire they don't have much of a choice. But I agree, you can't cut your way to profitability. They need to solve the structural issues, which are not improved by cutting routes and capacity.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Well, BA and VS must be laughing all the way to the bank.
More chance to increase the fares on that route. I find it astonishing that SAA can't make a decent profit on that route. BA run a 380 plus a 747. And I understand from people flying the route that they are often overbooked.
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA

Well VS is taking the gap: its introducing a second flight from 28 October.
And now BA is adding another 4 flights a week to JNB!

All that demand and SAA couldnt make the route profitable...

​​​​​​​
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
As Evan b says, I would suspect this has more to do with a quick cash infusion from the sale of the landing slot than anything else.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/co...-global-peers/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.