Wiki Posts
Search

New SAA A330-300

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by thijsseh
At the moment SA346 (CPT/JNB) on 23 March is a 333. I'm booked in J, curious as to what I will find.
Not holding my breath though, the equipment has changed 3 times since I booked it in November.
And currently I can't log into MMB (but with SA's IT competence that's neither surprising nor unusual).
Sadly the above flight was subbed to a 346. But what I thought was remarkable is that it appeared to have been refurbished nicely. Where before the seat controls were sort of ‘worn away’, they looked brand new. And so did the seat upholstery and really everything else in the J cabin. Losing out on the 333 was a pity though....
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA BD SA

Sadly the above flight was subbed to a 346. But what I thought was remarkable is that it appeared to have been refurbished nicely. Where before the seat controls were sort of ‘worn away’, they looked brand new. And so did the seat upholstery and really everything else in the J cabin. Losing out on the 333 was a pity though....
Interesting. How hard was the bed? Any improvement there?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:57 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Interesting. How hard was the bed? Any improvement there?
Well, I did not put it in 'bed mode' on a 2 hour flight (which I guess I could have none in the interest of 'research'). But the seat appeared quite hard, so my guess is that they changed the upholstery but not the cushions.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Well, I did not put it in 'bed mode' on a 2 hour flight (which I guess I could have none in the interest of 'research'). But the seat appeared quite hard, so my guess is that they changed the upholstery but not the cushions.
Oops! Sorry... not paying attention to previous posts.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I am looking forward to flying in the A333 J offering from JNB-ACC in late-July. Pictures look great, and I hadn't seen that route offered on my FFP's system before.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
I am looking forward to flying in the A333 J offering from JNB-ACC in late-July. Pictures look great, and I hadn't seen that route offered on my FFP's system before.
Just a heads-up: not all the JNB-ACC flights are A333. SA 209 which continues to IAD is a A333; SA 56 which continues to ABJ is a combination of A332, A343 and A333 and can change at short notice; SA 52 which is the JNB-ACC terminator is a combination of A332 and A333 and can change at short notice as well.
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Thanks for the heads-up. I am on SA52, and will monitor EF for any changes.

Originally Posted by evanb
Just a heads-up: not all the JNB-ACC flights are A333. SA 209 which continues to IAD is a A333; SA 56 which continues to ABJ is a combination of A332, A343 and A333 and can change at short notice; SA 52 which is the JNB-ACC terminator is a combination of A332 and A333 and can change at short notice as well.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:17 am

I have a JNB-GRU flight on the A330-300 in August in business class. I would not be too upset if they swap a 346. Although I have flown the 340-300 & A340-500, have never flown the 600. Not many 600s flying these days like the disappearing 747.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:58 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Anyone flown in Y? Still looking for some feedback on the seat pitch. The seating chart would indicate a big cut in legroom from the A340.
Flew ABJ-ACC yesterday in Y - legroom was still decent, I hadn't looked at this thread prior so wasn't specifically checking (and didn't take a pic, sorry) but I thought at the time that it was better than BA, certainly. Haven't flown on SAA long haul for a while but I don't think that the legroom is a 'big cut' from the 346. Seat was rock hard though, and the curve in the backrest was (for me) really uncomfortable- I have a long back and the curve towards the headrest area was against my shoulders rather than (I think the intention) my neck.

i flew the 333 in J ACC-JNB in March and really liked it, a big step up for SAA, but with the seats in Y I will now actively avoid it, which means I'll be sticking with BA for the LHR-JNB turns....
Old May 30, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by sml310
This happened to me as well on the JNB-GRU route, booked as an award through United. Any chance I can re-route? It seems there are no Business awards left in routes I need, but there are some Economy Saver. Should I chance the waitlist upgrade or remain on the old A332 business class, in hopes of a last minute swap?
Update since I have now completed the flight -- very glad I stuck with the original flight, because the day of the flight, the A333 was swapped back and it was amazing!

I sat in a bulkhead window (9K) which I highly recommend because the storage/footwell was huge!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE
I flew in the new business class and found it excellent all-around. One bit of advice: Because of the way the seats are staggered, I'd try for an even-numbered window seat. Because of the way the seats are staggered, the even-numbered seats put space between you and the aisle while the odd-numbered seats put space between you and the window. I sat one trip in each and found the even-numbered seats a little more private.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:42 am

Hi,
I'm looking to secure 2 J seats, ideally on the new 333. I'm looking at flight from IAD or JFK, but would also take an option from Europe (Frankfurt? London?).
I got the impression that SA opens up one seat at the time in J, as sometimes I would find 1 seat but not 2.
Any recommendation how to play this? If difficult on the 333 I'll take the other options, still beats X I guess. Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by spartac
Hi,
I'm looking to secure 2 J seats, ideally on the new 333. I'm looking at flight from IAD or JFK, but would also take an option from Europe (Frankfurt? London?).
I got the impression that SA opens up one seat at the time in J, as sometimes I would find 1 seat but not 2.
Any recommendation how to play this? If difficult on the 333 I'll take the other options, still beats X I guess. Thanks!
Other than setting an alert on something like Expertflyer, no.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA / TAM / Multiplus / Smiles / Hertz Gold
Gru - jnb - gru

Flew last year (DEC) JNB - GRU on A330-300

This year, DEC again going to SA from GRU TO JNB and back JNB - GRU.

The plane is A333 or A330-200? The plane is fixed in this route or constantly swapping?

Tks.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by flaviocc
Flew last year (DEC) JNB - GRU on A330-300

This year, DEC again going to SA from GRU TO JNB and back JNB - GRU.

The plane is A333 or A330-200? The plane is fixed in this route or constantly swapping?
Notionally, JNB-GRU is scheduled as a A330-200, but gets subbed with A330-300 and A340-600 based on demand. In the last week, operated one with A330-300 and twice with A340-600.
flaviocc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.