Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Is there any chance a Z fare on South African could be an economy ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite

Hi

I am trying to book a BUD-CPT business ticket via CAI and JNB. The third flight JNB-CPT I am looking at on a french booking site (opodo) lists the ticket as economy restricted (Z class) while the 2 first flights are in business class.

Is this an error from Opodo? ITA Matrix also shows Z fares as business class and so does South African Airways's website...

I attach a screenshot to give you a clearer view of what I am referring to.

Many thanks for your help!

Will

Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Anyone with the great knowledge I yearn for? :-D
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:17 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Fear not, the Z bucket on SAA is a discounted business class fare!

See: http://www.flysaa.com/za/en/flyingSA..._Families.html

I know you have looked that up yourself, but I know it to be correct. Maybe Egyptair uses Z as an economy bucket, causing the confusion?

By the way, SA323 on 5 April is (at the moment) being operated by an Airbus 340 so you'll experience the International business class product (that is to say, the hard product, the soft product will be the same as it is on the 738).
So lets hope they don't change the equipment (which, sadly, is not impossible).

Last edited by thijsseh; Dec 31, 2013 at 8:26 am
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Fear not, the Z bucket on SAA is a discounted business class fare!

See: http://www.flysaa.com/za/en/flyingSA..._Families.html

I know you have looked that up yourself, but I know it to be correct. Maybe Egyptair uses Z as an economy bucket, causing the confusion?

By the way, SA323 on 5 April is (at the moment) being operated by an Airbus 340 so you'll experience the International business class product (that is to say, the hard product, the soft product will be the same as it is on the 738).
So lets hope they don't change the equipment (which, sadly, is not impossible).
Thank you :-D

I also checked MS and the Z fare is also a business class offering not sure why it is showing as Y on this travel site...

Yes I am choosing this flight purposely for the widebody offering :-D is there a full meal offering? How is the lounge in JNB? Is 2 hours enough?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:47 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I don't think there will be a full meal on a mid-morning flight, more like a substantial snack. The 'soft product' on domestic J is not awe inspiring

The Domestic lounge is OK. The good thing is that there are nice showers (ask the reception for towels). The food offering is mediocre, there is a bar service although I think alcohol is only served after 10 or even 10:30. They make nice cappuccinos on demand.

Two hours should be fine for the connection. You need to collect your luggage in JNB (even if it has been labelled through to CPT) and take it through customs. You can re-check it at the counters on the left hand side after clearing customs. Luggage pilfering in JNB is still rife (my experience a few weeks ago) and you may want to 'plastic wrap' your luggage if that is available in BUD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.