Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

South African Airways Domestic Upgrade Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

Greetings,

I'm on a W fare from JNB to CPT. I have no status with SAA but would be willing to pay cash for a one way upgrade (CPT to JNB). Is this possible, and if so, how is it accomplished? Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: BA BD SA
We would need more information to give a meaningful answer. Is this a stand alone ticket or part of a bigger itinerary? If the latter, on which airline's stock is it issued?

In the simplest case, if the ticket was booked on flysaa.com you can upgrade on line. You should also be able to get the ticket upgraded at the airport. In both cases you would be charged the fare difference.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
We would need more information to give a meaningful answer. Is this a stand alone ticket or part of a bigger itinerary? If the latter, on which airline's stock is it issued?

In the simplest case, if the ticket was booked on flysaa.com you can upgrade on line. You should also be able to get the ticket upgraded at the airport. In both cases you would be charged the fare difference.
Thanks for replying.

Its a stand alone. Purchased from South African Airways web site. Of course, the ticket is SAA stock. I tried to upgrade to Business on the web site and the web site says I can't do it online and to call SAA. When I call SAA, they say I have to make the change online. Ughhh. Any suggestions?

Last edited by DL2SXM; Jan 21, 2014 at 7:35 am
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:45 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I've really found SAA website to be glitchy. Tickets purchased though the site can't be changed online- even if there appears to be online change options in the web page itself. I've had success calling the JNB ticket office and having them change tickets.

On a recent SAA flight Mauritius - JNB, a sign at the check in desk said that cash upgrades were available to business. I was already in business and I didn't ask more about it. Logic would suggest that if it's possible on regional routes, it would be possible on domestic ones.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I've really found SAA website to be glitchy. Tickets purchased though the site can't be changed online- even if there appears to be online change options in the web page itself. I've had success calling the JNB ticket office and having them change tickets.

On a recent SAA flight Mauritius - JNB, a sign at the check in desk said that cash upgrades were available to business. I was already in business and I didn't ask more about it. Logic would suggest that if it's possible on regional routes, it would be possible on domestic ones.
I called a few more times until I found an agent who can change it. I mean, who would think SAA would make it difficult for someone who wants to spend more money on a ticket?

My next question is, with a domestic business class ticket, do i get lounge access?

Last edited by DL2SXM; Jan 21, 2014 at 1:02 pm
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
My next question is, with a domestic business class ticket, do i get lounge access?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.