Wiki Posts
Search

Special meal requests on SA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
Special meal requests on SA?

I had our corporate travel agent book me flights to Lusaka and put in a VGML meal request. It's gone through and confirmed for the flights from Australia to Jo'burg (and return), but is saying it's "not available" for the flights from Jo'burg to Lusaka.

I realise it's a relatively short flight at ~2 hours, but the itinerary I was sent says "Lunch", not "snack". I'm booked in business class, so I was a little surprised to not get that option. I've been on SA intra-Africa flights before and this has never been an issue. Is there a reason they don't offer special meals on these particular flights? It is what it is, and while it's unfortunate, I can accept it and find a solution...More just curiousity at this point.

As my dietary request isn't exactly optional due to medical reasons, I'm going to have to grab food when I land at JNB, since it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to eat what I get given on the flight. I should presumably be able to eat something in the SA lounge at JNB before boarding, but is there anywhere around to buy vegan friendly food to take on the flight with me?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Disclaimer: this is mostly conjecture on my part and based on domestic flights.

Lately it seems that there is always a vegetarian option among the meals so maybe they don't feel the need to offer it as a special option? (Won't help if your choice isn't available, though...)

I have been unable to get the standard veg meal option to stick on a booking - but all the other options do stick. So you could get vegan, etc. if you would like to be very sure you can eat something.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Disclaimer: this is mostly conjecture on my part and based on domestic flights.

Lately it seems that there is always a vegetarian option among the meals so maybe they don't feel the need to offer it as a special option? (Won't help if your choice isn't available, though...)

I have been unable to get the standard veg meal option to stick on a booking - but all the other options do stick. So you could get vegan, etc. if you would like to be very sure you can eat something.
I'm not trying to request vegetarian though, because I can't eat vegetarian. It needs to be vegan. And it's not letting me add a vegan meal to the intra-Africa flight sectors on the booking.

If I can't get a vegan meal, I'll be a bit annoyed given the cost of the fare, but it's not the end of the world. I just need to know in advance so that I can plan accordingly to purchase appropriate food to bring on board for myself.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Have you (or your agent) tried any of the other, potentially suitable SPML codes ? e.g.

VVML Vegetarian Vegan Meal
FPML Fruit Platter Meal

or even

AVML Asian Vegetarian Meal
VOML Vegetarian Oriental Meal
VLML Vegetarian Lacto-ovo Meal

if suitable and to your taste ?

hth
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

That's a good idea. Will try tomorrow

The only ones of those that would be suitable are the VVML and FPML, so will give those a go.

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: BA BD SA
VLML was the one I couldn't get to stick. The others I tried worked for me including VVML.

Or maybe it's an African thing. We joke with some of our colleagues at work that they are such avid red meat eaters, they regard chicken as a vegetable!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Oh, I've been places in Europe where they don't consider fish to be "meat" and was served it numerous times as part of a supposedly vegan meal. Figured out very quickly what was going on and made sure to be very explicit and not just say "vegan" when subsequently ordering food.

Easier if you know these things in advance though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.