Wiki Posts
Search

SA Check in times @ CPT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
SA Check in times @ CPT

I have some upcoming flights on SA this January. I saw on the website that the posted "required" check in times seem very excessive.

What are the "real" realistic check in times that I should allow for CPT (and BBK if anyone is familiar with that airport)?

I've copied in SAA.com's information below. My first trip will be CPT-JNB-LVI. Since the first segment, CPT-JNB is domestic, does this fall under the domestic time rule or are they going to refuse check-in after the 50 minute mark since it's an international termination point? I know I should allow a little extra time, but to get to any of the Vic Falls airports the same day you have to leave really early in the morning from CPT, in my case it's 6:00am, so I'd like to allow as much sleep as possible and only spend as much time as I really need at the airport.

The second trip with them is BBK-JNB-HKG, now BBK-JNB is on Airlink who also posts similar silly amounts of time for check-in although this is operated on a 35 passenger regional jet, so even if they only have 1 agent to process everyone one-by one it shouldn't take 2+ hours. Anyone flew out of Kasane to give a more realistic time frame there? I assume there is no lounge, so would prefer not showing up until necessary.

Domestic check-in

Passengers are required to check in at least 90 minutes before flight departure.

International check-in

Prior to check-in, profiling and boarding of passengers for immigration purposes may be necessary. This process may require you to provide evidence of confirmed accommodation, sufficient funds and valid return or onward air tickets.

There are different check-in times for certain flights:

USA flights: check in three hours before flight departure
Other international flights: check in at least two hours before flight departure, irrespective of travel class

Check-in closure times

Check-in for domestic flights closes 30 minutes prior to departure.
For all classes of travel, check-in for regional and international flights closes 50 minutes prior to departure.

Exceptions:

Flights departing from Johannesburg to Dubai, Luanda, Lagos, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires and Kinshasa close one hour prior to departure.
Flights departing from Lagos close two hours prior to departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.