Wiki Posts
Search

Cape Fahn Hotel, Koh Samui

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Cape Fahn Hotel, Koh Samui

Has anyone stayed here or known anyone who has? I think it sounds amazing, and I am booked here 4 nights on points in June. It seems to be a hotel that is totally under the radar-no one ever mentions it at all!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:43 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Agreed. I intend to stay in February and will write a review.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Great-you can scope it out for me. It also is an amazing point value-it was about $1000 a night for the cheapest rooms! I've got quite the stay on Koh Samui-4 nights here, then 3 nights at the Belmond Napasai, and then a week at the Conrad!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
We stayed 2 nights at Cape Fahn last year around this time. Amazing facility! The hotel is on its own island and it runs a small ferry service to get you to and from the shore. The second night we came back late. It was at low tide and we and got to ride on the supply truck across the strait! Breakfast was included on the award nights and the selection was amazing. We had dinner at the restaurant the first night and the food was really good and they did have some authentic southern dishes too. It's worth every point spent and we would definitely stay there again.
skywalkerLAX and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Booked for a weekend in mid February. Pretty insane deal on points.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well I had it booked for March 2020, but then, we all know what happened. It does seem like a steal for 20k Hyatt points, and the villas look spacious and lovely.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

The year before, it was an unbelievable 15,000 points!!!!
solewalker likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I can't believe I've never heard of this place. Looks awesome!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I can't believe I've never heard of this place. Looks awesome!
From the pop ups on social media it seems to be a Thai high society hot spot. Almost every weekend you see some semi/famous people post Instagram stories from this property.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Runner123
The year before, it was an unbelievable 15,000 points!!!!
It's almost this price right now with the award rebate promotion.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:19 am

Cape Fahn Koh Samui = A Private Island Entirely to Ourselves

Cape Fahn Hotel

3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

Cape Fahn Hotel

24/269 Moo 5 Bo-Phut Koh Samui, Suratthani TH 84320

Cape Fahn Koh Samui = A Private Island Entirely to Ourselves (49 Photos)

Cape Fahn Hotel

Cape Fahn is an island off an island – a private resort about 150m away from the shore of Koh Samui which provides a unique experience and I can recommend it.  The hotel was recently opened in 2018 so everything is still in great condition and fairly modern.  When staying at Cape Fahn a lot of what we pay for is the location, however we should be aware that it’s not the best place for sea views unless booking the highest room types.  During our stay we were the only guests out of 22 villas so we had the whole island all to ourselves – it was a fantastic experience which might not be repeated again in our lifetime.  I would also note that dining was excellent and worth a detour even for people who are not guests of the hotel.  

Cape Fahn can pick up guests from the airport but we had a rental car as part of a mattress run in Koh Samui.  In order to reach Cape Fahn we drove passed a manned gate and they had a parking lot near the beach.  The Cape Fahn arrivals lounge was empty due to lack of guests but they had a phone for us to call the hotel to get the shuttle boat to reach the hotel.  This is where it got unusual: the arrivals lounge was right on the beach so I can imagine an older couple dressed up in nice clothes expecting luxury might not be well prepared if coming straight from the airport with dress shoes for example.  For us it was fine because we were driving from Conrad Koh Samui therefore I was wearing shorts and sandals but in different circumstances I might have been caught off guard.  During low tide they use some kind of amphibious vehicle to cross over to the private island which is in the background of the picture.  However they do not use it when it’s high tide; instead it’s a dinghy which can be an adventurous ride in windy weather.  Staff carried our bags on their shoulders from the parking lot to the boat and not to jinx them but I could foresee one day a small mistake which would result in a guest bag ending up dropped in the sea.  Once arrived on the other side they had a small foot bath to remove sand from feet and sandals before walking to reception, once again a quite nature-oriented experience and maybe not a pure luxury one.  

1_IMG_4733.jpegIMG_4753 Kopie.jpegIMG_4800.jpegIMG_4801.jpegIMG_4815.jpeg

Room

If I am not mistaken Cape Fahn might be the second most expensive resort in Koh Samui after Four Seasons, in normal times room rates are over $1,000 per night.  Even now in covid times the prices are near $1,000 on both SLH.com and Hyatt.com but if paying cash it would be much better to save money and book directly on their website for about $300 and simply forego the loyalty program benefits.  In high season booking with 20k Hyatt points would be an exceptional value for the money, at the moment it’s not too bad either and this is the option I chose.  

As per the normal Hyatt rules I received a one-category upgrade to the deluxe pool villa and I was told we had one of the nicer ones.  We had partial sea views on the right side which were nice but not as impressive as some other hotels such as Conrad.  The villa was in good condition with pleasing soft color tones and a large 10-meter long private pool which also had a section to sit down with jacuzzi jets for a back massage.  While the resort itself could hardly be more private, if the hotel had been full it would possibly not be as private as one can imagine because the villas are somewhat close to each other and we could see the pathway or the entrance door of some neighboring villas if moving to the edge of our pool or our terrace.  For example we had an outdoor shower but it was probably intended to be used to rinse off before and after using the pool while still wearing a swimming suit because you could see the pathway through the wooden sticks from there.  

IMG_4736.jpegIMG_4737.jpegIMG_4738.jpeg1_IMG_4739.jpeg1_IMG_4740.jpegIMG_4741.jpegIMG_4742.jpegIMG_4743.jpegIMG_4744.jpegIMG_4745.jpegIMG_4746.jpegIMG_4747.jpegIMG_4748.jpegIMG_4749.jpegIMG_4750.jpegIMG_4752.jpegIMG_4755.jpeg

As in many worthy luxury hotels they had an extensive pillow menu and air conditioning was powerful so we could sleep very well during our stay.  Some of the furniture was good quality with marble tops but some cabinets had more of an Ikea-style feel however.  

One minor issue where they perhaps are not doing themselves any favors by giving guests a non-luxury feeling is advertising some minor items for sale for example the bag covering a toilet paper roll for 200 THB or selling slippers for 160 THB which did not appear to be new.  

IMG_4763.jpeg

The bathroom amenities available in the room were nothing to write home about but the artisan soap selection available at check-in for various skin types was definitely a nice feature which we appreciated.

1_IMG_4734.jpeg

Non-alcoholic drinks from the mini-bar and snacks were included and refilled daily along with beer.  

Dining

Breakfast was offered in the main restaurant entirely a la carte and this was definitely a stand-out.  The menu was very extensive and allowed a lot of variety from one morning to another to sample different dishes; we could order whatever we wanted from the menu.  The presentation was excellent and the quality was very good – this is the kind of breakfast which is worth for non-hotel guests to come over to enjoy the food and the venue as well.  

IMG_4766.jpegIMG_4768.jpegIMG_4769.jpegIMG_4770.jpegIMG_4778.jpegIMG_4779.jpegIMG_4780.jpeg1_IMG_4781.jpeg1_IMG_4782.jpegIMG_4783.jpegIMG_4784.jpegIMG_4788.jpegIMG_4789.jpegIMG_4790.jpeg

For dinner they had a second restaurant called Long Dtai by chef David Thompson on the northern side of the island but unfortunately that restaurant was closed due to low occupancy and the menu was only available at the main restaurant.  

The main restaurant also had its own dinner menu with various Southern Thai specialties which were tasty.  Considering that guests are semi-captives on the resort (we could go on the main land whenever we wanted), I was surprised that prices were quite reasonable especially by Koh Samui standards.  It would be one more reason why I would recommend to outside guests to come over and try one of Cape Fahn’s restaurants if not staying at the hotel.

1_IMG_4787.jpeg

Common Areas

Since we had our private pool we did not use the main pool of the hotel but it was quite nice near the beach with views and there was also had a smaller one for children.  Nearby there were other common areas for relaxing or reading a book.  The beach was decent and overlooking the main island whereas the other side of the island was rocky with big waves on the side of the Long Dtai restaurant.

IMG_4767.jpegIMG_4775.jpeg1_IMG_4795.jpeg1_IMG_4797.jpegIMG_4803.jpegIMG_4804.jpegIMG_4806.jpeg1_IMG_4808.jpegIMG_4809.jpeg

Service

As can be imagined, service was flawless during our stay since we had the entire staff all to ourselves.  Given our interactions I suspect service would also be excellent at this property in times of high occupancy.  In addition I received a nice polo shirt as a souvenir of the hotel which was a nice touch.

IMG_4785.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi was fast with download speeds of over 100 Mbps and upload about 20 Mbps, however there were occasional disconnections.  

Overall

For Hyatt loyalists, there is an upcoming Hyatt Regency which is supposed to open mid 2021 but I don’t think Cape Fahn competes with that style of large hotel however, in fact Cape Fahn is a one of a kind with unique strengths and has clear value as part of alternative options in Koh Samui for members of the Hyatt loyalty program.  Regarding cash reservations I am not sure how much Cape Fahn charges in normal times but at the moment they might as well not be part of any loyalty program since the premium when booking via Hyatt or SLH is illogical.  I would not be opposed to returning on a cash reservation even if booking direct however because of the amazing location which is really what we pay for when staying at Cape Fahn.

Cape Fahn Koh Samui = A Private Island Entirely to Ourselves

Would you like to write a review on the Cape Fahn Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 2, 2021, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Looking at Cape Fahn now and you're right, the Hyatt rate is literally 3x the direct rate and not sure 20k points makes sense when the same room can be had for 9k THB direct through the property (vs. nearly 30,000 through Hyatt).

In any event, how many nights would be appropriate here? Did you start to feel trapped?
Old Apr 2, 2021, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
In any event, how many nights would be appropriate here? Did you start to feel trapped?
Given we were the only guests, there was no boat schedule to stick to and they just made the boat available whenever we wanted to reach our rental car parked on the other side, so we did not feel trapped. That said, for us 3 days was sufficient to get the special "private island" experience.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your review. I am so disappointed I had to cancel my 4 night stay there! Hopefully, I can go in May or June 2022 along with my week at the Conrad (well, I had 5 weeks between Koh Samui, Tao and Phangan) that was all cancelled. I doubt I can go that long again, but I am definately going to try to go next year!
escape4 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Since escape4's review, the resort's signature restaurant Long D'Tai from David Thompson has (had?) reopened as of a week ago, and it's a whole lot more spectacular than the second restaurant that he was dining it. Food is highly authentic to Southern Thailand and the view is fantastic. I enjoyed trying their gaeng som Southern sour fish curry in particular along with some traditional thai desserts and a pretty solid cocktail list.

The kitchen itself looks almost like a hotel reception or a small bar, so you see everything going on, along with views over the Ritz Carlton's beach (who were having a party with fireworks the evening I was there).
escape4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.