Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Gold on AF Baggage Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
Delta Gold on AF Baggage Question

As a Delta Gold Medallion, would Air France treat me as a Flying Blue Gold member as far as the extra baggage allowance goes?, i.e.:

10 kg extra baggage allowance on AIR FRANCE, KLM, Air Europa and Kenya Airways flights, in addition to your normal class of service baggage allowance*
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aljacket
As a Delta Gold Medallion, would Air France treat me as a Flying Blue Gold member as far as the extra baggage allowance goes?, i.e.:

10 kg extra baggage allowance on AIR FRANCE, KLM, Air Europa and Kenya Airways flights, in addition to your normal class of service baggage allowance*
no they will not.

Delta won't give FB Elites free luggage intra-US either.

I think they should work this out in Skyteam, but so far every airline sets the rules pretty much randomly.

That being said you can likely argue with your DL gold card @ checkin if your luggage is only a few kg over ... say you have the std. 1x20 kg allowance and you get there with 23 kg ... likely not a problem.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try that.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aljacket
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try that.
where are you flying from and to?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

One more piece of the puzzle: is it a single ticket from the US? In which case, you normally are allowed 2 pieces of luggage, 23 kg each in Y, regardless of status.

Although, with DL now charging for the 2nd piece, what does your ticket say?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
When I check in on an intra EU flight on AF, I notice that I get my additional 20k Platinum allowance automatically printed on by boarding documents. So I would disagree with cfischer's earlier comments...
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

I am flying from the the US to FRA on a work ticket, then "inserting" a FRA to CDG for a quick trip to Paris before heading back to Germany.

Originally Posted by cfischer
where are you flying from and to?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Let's hope I am as lucky with my gold, but I just need to add a little extra time when checking in in case I have to do the AF counter shuffle.

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
When I check in on an intra EU flight on AF, I notice that I get my additional 20k Platinum allowance automatically printed on by boarding documents. So I would disagree with cfischer's earlier comments...
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
the OP is Delta und you are NW. NW Elites get this beni from KL/AF because KL/AF used to get it as well on NW (not anymore since DL messed everything up).
The NW-KL alliance is still somewhat working and this is part of it, including preferred seating on AF (e.g. upper deck on 747), which is also free for NW PE, but NOT DL PE.

That being said I have never paid excess luggage on DL, but it sure took a loot of arguing.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
the OP is Delta und you are NW. NW Elites get this beni from KL/AF because KL/AF used to get it as well on NW (not anymore since DL messed everything up).
The NW-KL alliance is still somewhat working and this is part of it, including preferred seating on AF (e.g. upper deck on 747), which is also free for NW PE, but NOT DL PE.

That being said I have never paid excess luggage on DL, but it sure took a loot of arguing.
Two months ago, when I was making specific seats requests with AF for my CDG-SFO flight, I requested upper deck seats on 747. After a few minutes on the phone, this was done without a problem. I am a DL Gold.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:25 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi romeo,

Originally Posted by romeoguy
Two months ago, when I was making specific seats requests with AF for my CDG-SFO flight, I requested upper deck seats on 747. After a few minutes on the phone, this was done without a problem. I am a DL Gold.
Preferred seating is actually listed as a Skyteam benefit. However, when it comes to luggage allowance, there is no such thing, and thus any good news would be from the NW/KL joint venture.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by romeoguy
Upper deck seats in rows 65+ cannot be booked. I don't know who booked you that, but the person was in error and I am surprised AF let it go through. The seats which require 50 EUR payment are only available to Plats for free (which includes NW Plat).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.